• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Controlling habits

WhoFalls

Greenlighter
I enjoy opiates ocassionally, for the most part I've controlled my like for them pretty well. I did Opana's for a month a couple times a week. I realized it was becoming a habit so I quit. I only had mental withdrawals which included mainly depression. Last night I got some opiates of similar strength to opana, it was the first time in about 9-10 days. I've decided that I will only do them once every 7-10 days tops, if at all. I was wondering if I would experience any levels of withdrawal? What are peoples experience with controlling their habits? People claim that it is impossible, and some people will say I am fooling myself. I really don't have any desire to do it any more than that. I was offered some today, but it was pretty easy to say no. I have zero interest in experiencing withdrawals during an Ohio winter, its already getting cold.

If you put a week in between, you should only experience mental craving or w/d. Physical dependency takes regular dosing over time, depending on the substance, but you can get the mental part after one dose. Congratulations on your self control, keep it up!

With this, I've noticed that if I do it 2-3 days in a row I experience at least mild insomnia for sure. If I used around 4-6 days in a row (which is around the most I ever have) I will have chills, the runs, body aches, and more severe insomnia, but I can go to work.

I enjoy opiates too, but I've found that, for me at least, it's better to stay away because they're just too good. When I have access to hydrocodone or oxycodone I usually start out planning to only use it occasionally and responsibly, but then I start using it more and more until I run out way sooner than intended and get depressed and have withdrawals. Though the withdrawals I have experienced have been minor at worst, I've felt sick, more anxious than usual, depressed, and like a burning chemical is evaporating out of my skin. It's not fun and a friend said I looked like I had the flu when he saw me during a withdrawal from hydrocodone. Do what you want, but I think it would be a bad idea unless you have a superhuman level of self control.

I have an addictive personality.

I can become a shopaholic.
I can become an alcoholic.
I can become addicted to different drugs.

But with me it just stops on its own.
I can drink for a month daily and then just stop.
I can shop until I just stop.
I can do certain drugs and just stop.

I don't try to stop it just slows down and then I don't notice it anymore.

I haven't drank in 2 years.

I don't do illegal drugs.

I do take pain medication daily. But it's to numb the pain. When I have no pain I don't take it. I forget about it.
I have taken it so long that when my pain if ever is gone I will ween my self off so I don't have wd that will come with my daily use.

Medications are chemicals that we put in our bodies and it does change our bodies. Our bodies need time to get back to normal.

If you take something all the time and stop you will have some type of withdrawal if you notice it or not.

Nieve beginners think they caught the flu or something. But in reality it's wds.

i think many people start out like this, just once a week, then just weekends and once you hit that point, after a while you will feel shitty during the week, have mild symptoms. Most often life throws people a curve ball at some point and this is when people fall into daily use patterns. That's my experience with controlling it, i don't doubt that other people can handle it. I think opiates are an acquired taste, you won't like them that much at first but after a while you won't see how you can live without them.

I've actually like them more and used them a lot more than I am now. When I first used it, it got out of hand at one point. I think with my circumstances, it is easier for me to say not now, than never. Never is a lot more pressure than not now. I am way better at not now.

@OP, What opiates were of similar strength as oxymorphone?

I agree with RobotRipping, most people start out using opioids "only _____" and then as time goes on, they make more and more exceptions until they're not fooling themselves anymore.

This thread is amazing. Really makes me reflect on my progression. I started by taking 4 pills of 10mg endocet a week. Usually just on weekends. Purely for recreation. This was my plan. Very well thought out.

Next thing i know its 100mg a week. Then 50mg a day. Then 100mg a day. And so forth and so on. Life does throw curve balls. But it wasn't the withdrawals that caused me to dose more it was simply chasing the euphoric high. Had to have it.

Its a very slippery slope. It can sneak up. Fast. Best of luck. I wish i never started.

Last edited:
Ive seen myself get depressed and saying fuck it and kept it going too long. I get tipped for a living, my job sucks and makes me miserable, but I know that drugs are a fast track to making everything ten times worse. If there's a point where I go against the knowledge and judgment I have, things will have to be really really miserable in my life. Its hard to imagine my life being any more miserable than a drug addiction.

WhoFalls,

I have learned two things from my former addiction with opioids. First, Opanas cause abnormally bad withdrawal symptoms. I remember IVing them for two days in a row and then being sick for a week -as if I had gone on a two-month heroin binge. The second thing I learned is this: I personally TRIED to control my drug use by putting restrictions on it -but that NEVER worked. I finally had to get on suboxone maintenance to quit all other opiates.

HOWEVER, I had a friend in college who managed to only do heroin about once every two or three weeks. He held a job, received good grades, and lived a well-rounded life. But now, 10 years later, I have recently heard that he is a terrible junkie. Whether or not this is true -I do not know. I do believe that some people can control their using -of SOME substances. But when potent opioids like Opana and Heroin are involved, it severely narrows the chances of that occuring.

If you have to limit your use to "every 7-10 days" you're already addicted mentally. At this point you might as well either stop completely while you get your life straightened out, or cut the foreplay and do the drugs however you damn well please. They're going to kick your ass eventually, might as well admit defeat now or keep going and get it out of your system. There's no shame in either; some people learn through observation, others (like yours truly) only learn that the stove is hot after they touch it.

I'm an ex-daily user of oxys, heroin and suboxone who went to treatment by choice a year ago and stayed completely clean for 6 months, but I've had success with being able to use drugs and drink on occasion. The way I've been using opiates is only when the situation naturally arises, like when I have nothing to do for 2-3 days. So far that's only been 4-5 times since June. I have a box of pills in my nightstand that I could take whenever I want, but I don't want to because I have other shit to do that's more important to me than getting high. In fact, it's been two months since I've taken any opiates, and I wouldn't even be thinking about how long it's been if I wasn't writing this post. I haven't done any other drugs other than alcohol, opiates and one hit of weed at a concert since my inpatient stay.

Be warned: I am not your average case. In the year since I went to treatment I've moved to a new city, far away from everyone I've ever known. Most people don't have the opportunities that I've had recently and have to stay abstinent forever once they've been addicted. Besides, there's no guarantee I'll even be able to handle my shit 6 months from now. This is just my experience and where I'm at right now.

I've been doing hydro/oxycodone for about a year and have no problem controlling my use, I also never go on binges or redose. I don't have an addictive personality but I do get pretty strong cravings every now and then.

I started out once a week but I found this to be a bit too much not because I couldn't handle it but because the high was simply not as good. I have had a couple months where I have used once a week and I've had months where I haven't touched any at all while having them in my possession. My usual schedule is use once and take the next two off, it seems to work well my tolerance is still low and I get great effects without having to increase my dose.

What are peoples experience with controlling their habits? People claim that it is impossible, and some people will say I am fooling myself. I really don't have any desire to do it any more than that. I was offered some today, but it was pretty easy to say no. I have zero interest in experiencing withdrawals during an Ohio winter, its already getting cold.

Control is an illusion. That you could say no to (presumably free) opiates is a good thing, but then again, I turn down percoset because they are too weak for me. My liver would explode before I'd ever get high from them. That you're already messing with oxymorphone is NOT a good thing, there is really nowhere to go from there but down (or fentanyl, which will put you about 6' down). Withdraw is a bitch, worst for me is waking up in a pool of sweat, but Ive learned if I have to go cold turkey to have about 6 bath towels on my nightstand to change out during the night. Anyway, to keep from getting in REALLY deep, dont ever pick up the needle, and if you can, have a friend/loved one keep any stash you have and give you x amount y days apart. This is beyond hard and chances are both of you will buckle. Being dirt ass broke is another way of not acquiring a monsterous habit.

Tricomb, hydromorphone is close in strength to oxymorphone. Dilaudid is a bitch tho - been there, done that. Went from 4mg dropping me to my knees to banging over 100mg a day at my peak, or lowest, depending on how you look at it.

The WORST part of w/d is that people typically get insomnia, and so instead of sleeping 6-8 hours a day, being high for 5-6 hours a day, you are awake with your own thoughts only and might sleep every other day. All that extra time, and you'll swear the clock on the wall is broken. That's the worst part for me anyway.

I have used an opana in probably 9 months or more... I can't even remember the last time. I see my best friend getting hopelessly addicted with his girlfriend. They have a kid and its rough seeing. I've actually cut back, for a hot second I got deep and caught myself. Right now I'll probably not pick up anything, but I say probably because life is easier to think about in shorter terms. I am good for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07SWjWaOxc4&feature=related

Anyway, to keep from getting in REALLY deep, dont ever pick up the needle

^ This

Short acting opioids and needles don't mix well, they'll get you strung out far quicker and in a much worse way than insufflation or oral use. To be honest, I would recommend never putting any short-acting drug up your nose, up your butt, or in to your veins. Rather, I would recommend always staying with the oral route as long as you can, which keeps you away from the super-addictive opiates, the -morphones, since those are "wasted" through the oral route.