• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television How I Met Your Mother

Tommyboy

Bluelight Crew
I'm not sure how popular this show is amongst you Bluelighters, but it's a pretty popular show considering the re-runs are on like 6 different channels. It's pretty much this generations Seinfeld and Friends (not getting into comparing them) since it's a show about a group of friends that have a regular place that they hang out at and talk about everything and nothing.

I don't know how much longer the show is supposed to be on for, and if the writers knew the mothers character from the beginning, but I wonder how well thought out that aspect of the show is considering it's the title and all. There are some theories about who it is or isn't based on things that he says in the video to his kids, but I don't read too much into it.

There was an episode where he was in the apartment of 'The Mother' who we find out is roommates with the girl 'Cindy' who Ted briefly dated. He mentions the yellow umbrella that he had taken and then left there, inadvertently giving in back to their mother. We also know that the mother was in the economics class that Ted was mistakenly teaching architecture in, as was the Cindy character.

Aside from the whole mother thing, most other parts of the show are just as important in my opinion. A lot of people like the 'bro code' parts, and it's very easy to like the 'Robin' character with all the Canadian references. Overall I find it to be an enjoyable show, and I'm not all that interested in knowing who the mother is.

Haven't found it funny in about 3 seasons, and after watching each new episode I feel ashamed for wasting my time on such a pointless, uninteresting and stale tv programme.. Yet I continue to watch new episodes when they're released so.. pff

My biggest issue is the characters are so unlike-able, Barney being the only remotely amusing one. Robin, Lilly and Ted being horrendously boring and annoying characters.

I love this show. Not my "favourite show" but probably top 5?? Barney is hilarious!!

Yeah I dig the show. It's more comparable to Friends IMO. The only problem I have with the show is the character Ted Mosby. He's like an unfunny version of Ross (from friends). If it wasn't for the other characters, especially Barney, I wouldn't watch the show. He is seriously the most annoying character on television.

OK a little hijack of your thread.
Watch the series called Spaced, and let me know what you think. (The "delivery" guy makes me lmao).

I gave up on How I met your mother after a season or two.

Spaced is a British comedy with that weird looking guy from Shawn of the Dead for those of you not in the know.

Spaced is fucking awesome. Great show.

Daisy: What do you do Brian?
Brian: I'm an artist.
Daisy: Oh, Tim's an artist. What kind of thing do you do?
Brian: Anger. Pain. Fear. Aggression.
Daisy: Watercolors?
Brian: It's a bit more complex than that.

How I Met Your Mother used to be a good show. New episodes are increasingly bad. Haven't seen the last half-season. Ted is indeed one of the worst characters ever. Barney and Marshall are awesome, though.

i tried watching the first episode of the first season today based on this thread and it sucks. Cheesy, obvious, annoying and with a god damn laugh track. It's way too clean. I need something raw, real and uncompromising. I'm also going to try spaced, hope it is much better than this.

^ I'm surprised that you find it to be way too clean. I'm not saying that it's raw, but considering that it's on network TV they get away with a lot of sexual stuff that I couldn't see being aired 10+ years ago. Maybe the first episode didn't have much of it, but I know that I've been shocked at some of the stuff that is said on the show, particularly from Barney. I agree with the rest of your observations though, but I guess I don't mind the 'cheesiness' that much.

The show is not for everyone. Some of the 'mushy' stuff gets a little annoying *cough* Ted Mosby *cough*. It's kind of a 'chick' show but I dig it. I also liked 'Friends' so whatever.

I understand how someone might describe this show as 'clean'. It's not contemporary-style programming. It's not Family Guy or Arrested Development. Personally, though, I think there's something really appealing about traditional sitcoms. I recently watched Taxi for the first time. Really enjoyed it, for what it was. Last night I had a dream, in which I met Terry & Bonny Turner. The writers behind 3rd Rock From the Sun, which is another trad-sit-com. I'd rather watch a good show with a laugh track, than a mediocre edgy show without. How I Met Your Mother is not a perfect show, but it's better than 99.99% of television. If you run out of Breaking Bad and Louie, it's worth a watch. Barney, as he develops, is a fucking fantastic character; the marathon episode is a great example of this.

Spaced, on the other hand, is a work of art. One of those perfect British sitcoms that had less than 20 episodes. Like The Young Ones.

It's better than The Big Bang Theory. :\ So, its got that goin for it...

^ It's the only show that would be gayer if it didn't have a gay actor on it.

i only started watching how i met your mother because big bang theory ended and tastekid.com recommended it. not alike at aaaall but it grew on me. all the characters are the best.

First 3 seasons or so are actually pretty good....everything else has been blah...It's a more modern, edgy (relatively speaking of course) version of Friends

Barney and Marshall are fantastic characters tho....which is what keeps me watching.....and what mainly keeps people on this show tho....is this uncontrollable urge to FINALLY FIND OUT WHO THE FUCK THE MOTHER IS!