• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

anxiety aches and discomfort

hesslangs

Greenlighter
Hello, just wondering if anyone could help me out a bit here. Over the past few years i've had really bad anxiety problems, i've managed to cope somewhat with the mental side of these problems through meditation, exercise etc. I am however still suffering from the physical aspect that i think is caused by this anxiety, i just can't get to the root of it. All over my body ( mainly my left shoulder, hands, stomach and back ) i feel extremely uncomfortable and achey in, and i have to constantly move and push and pull these muscles. I've had some of these feelings to some extent since i was a teenager but never as bad as this.

Does anyone have any advice for me? it would be appreciated!

ive had the exact same problem now for the last 10 years. every day anxiety and pain all over the body in the legs, arms, back, head or anywhere. its like even clothes touching your skin is uncomfortable. the doctor doesnt seem to care and nobody seems to listen.

theres this thing called fibromyalgia and i think it could be that, but its kind of controversial as to whether its an actual real condition or not.

otherwise, i havent found a way to make it go away without getting into drug addiction.

Sorry to hear that. Yeah i too have been to the doctor numerous times and despite trying to explain it the best that i could they were not very helpful and just prescribed my with painkillers.

ive had the exact same problem now for the last 10 years. every day anxiety and pain all over the body in the legs, arms, back, head or anywhere. its like even clothes touching your skin is uncomfortable. the doctor doesnt seem to care and nobody seems to listen.

theres this thing called fibromyalgia and i think it could be that, but its kind of controversial as to whether its an actual real condition or not.

otherwise, i havent found a way to make it go away without getting into drug addiction.

Had a friend with fibromyalgia,
After her dr said she was unable to work due to being diagnosed, she did eventually get a lawyer & a chech every month for disability so I'd say fibromyalgia is def real. Her dr's finally killed her off prescribing too many pills with complications & side effects, I mean they interacted badly enough to put her into a coma one day, she never regained

^^wow thats crazy.

hesslangs said:
Sorry to hear that. Yeah i too have been to the doctor numerous times and despite trying to explain it the best that i could they were not very helpful and just prescribed my with painkillers.

what painkilers did they prescribe you and what country are you in?

One of the best drugs for anxiety or depression with somatic components is the SNRI duloxetine.

First, though, I'd try working with a trainer at your local gym who's worked with fibromyalgia patients before, and see if an exercise regimen, slowly phased in, doesn't solve the problem.

gabapentin, pregabilin, phenibut? I get this problem too and medication (opiates) is about the only thing that brings me comfort, maybe some exercise too.

oh my god dude, I have suffered with this exact same thing for awhile now.... I would HIGHLY recommend trying/buying one of these things:

51h%2BkzXLBjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

its called a body back buddy, and you are supposed to use it to self-massage trigger points all over your body. it comes with a brief instruction manual but there's more in-depth instructions all over the internet. if you take a few minutes out of your day to massage certain trigger points on your body, you can relieve your muscles from a lot of pain. pain patients that have anything from cancer to carpal tunnel to fibromyalgia/arthritis use this, but you can use it after working out or just to relieve tension and stress.

my friend who broke her back in an accident a year ago said she swears by this. she introduced me to it. she literally has never taken narcotics for pain, just medical marijuana and the body back buddy to massage the trigger points in her back (pain from huge screws she now has in her back)

But my point is, anxiety effing hurts. You don't realize it but high levels of anxiety cause you to hold your breath without knowing it, tensing the diaphragm, tensing the jaw, and other muscle groups so you're constantly sore, achy, and irritable. Regular meditation, stretching, and massage can really make a huge difference! It has for me at least... hope you feel better soon dude

euphoria said:
I would HIGHLY recommend trying/buying one of these things:

that thing looks great i just stuck one on my amazon wish list.

euphoria said:
But my point is, anxiety effing hurts. You don't realize it but high levels of anxiety cause you to hold your breath without knowing it, tensing the diaphragm, tensing the jaw, and other muscle groups so you're constantly sore, achy, and irritable.

thats true i also suffer anxiety and the tension hurts. but how are you supposed to know if you are suffering from a lot of anxiety or if you have fibromyalgia? i really hope that its anxiety because i heard that fibromyagia never goes away.

That back body buddy definitely looks interesting, thanks!. This is the first i've even heard of fibromyalgia but hopefully thats not what it is.

Over the past year or so i've had tons of different symptoms from this anxiety like these muscle aches, twitching and also loads of eye floaters which have made life pretty unpleasant for me. I keep wondering if all of these are related in that the tenseness of my muscles are causing the eye floaters ( read an interesting page on that here - http://www.ctds.info/floater.html ) and in turn the unpleasantness of dealing with these problems is making me more stressed and making my muscles worse. Problem is i just can't seem to get to the bottom of these issues despite trying for the past two years.

Maybe give supplementing with Magnesium a go..

Yeah i've always been meaning to try this, has anyone had any luck with these kind of problems? i imagine i am lacking some magnesium from my diet.

I take Chelated Magnesium and I think I've noticed a difference. I used to get odd aches and pains, and they've drastically reduced.

A lot of people have success, others don't. Works for some, not for others. Give it a go.

i also use magnesium for muscle tension (mostly jaw), seems to help a bit, still not perfect though.

interesting, i have this exact same phenom but its on my right side. like i cant stretch a tight muscle feeling or something....i had almost chalked it up to benzo WD in some small amount, but ive had it for a lkong while. it seems that gaba drugs help it go away, xanax will actually stop the pain/discomfort for a while, but then you have the issue of being on xanax. massage helps, there is this one tiny spot about where my right rhomboid muscle is on my back, that when i dig into it, i can feel it shoot down my arm and right side. it feels great but its almost like a paralyzing feeling when i press hard.

that back buddy thing looks awesome, im going to have to get one of those for sure.

that thing looks great i just stuck one on my amazon wish list.

thats true i also suffer anxiety and the tension hurts. but how are you supposed to know if you are suffering from a lot of anxiety or if you have fibromyalgia? i really hope that its anxiety because i heard that fibromyagia never goes away.

I'm not really sure how you know, other than getting an official diagnosis from a doctor, but I would just try home remedies and natural treatments before I went to any kind of addictive painkillers. Fibromyalgia, in my opinion, can be a symptom of acute anxiety. I definitely know I have some pretty severe pain and tension in my muscles and joints 24/7 and I have had other health problems that stemmed from intense anxiety issues... so I know that's why I hurt.

That back body buddy definitely looks interesting, thanks!. This is the first i've even heard of fibromyalgia but hopefully thats not what it is.

Over the past year or so i've had tons of different symptoms from this anxiety like these muscle aches, twitching and also loads of eye floaters which have made life pretty unpleasant for me. I keep wondering if all of these are related in that the tenseness of my muscles are causing the eye floaters ( read an interesting page on that here - http://www.ctds.info/floater.html ) and in turn the unpleasantness of dealing with these problems is making me more stressed and making my muscles worse. Problem is i just can't seem to get to the bottom of these issues despite trying for the past two years.

Yeah, I have had tons of symptoms from anxiety that I refused to believe were caused by anxiety for the longest time. It would start with this weird tingling sensation in my head, then a long couple years of dealing with heart palpitations, and ongoing stomach acid reflux issues. The tension and pain has been something I've always experienced but just came to the realization that all of this stuff has been caused by anxiety... the root of the problem. I spent so much money and time going to doctors to figure out what was "wrong" with me, until I finally realized for myself what the reason was. Well I am learning to deal with it, but just knowing that nothing is wrong with me but STRESS helps a load! Stress kills! I feel you dude, two years is a long time, but consider the possibility that you just need to re-center yourself and calm your mind and rediscover happiness and most of these symptoms may magically fade away!

That body back buddy is pretty nice, just imagine the most orgasmic intense perfect back massage or joint massage you could get from any spa, but you DO IT TO YOURSELF! lol. I literally sit there on my couch at night massaging my back and neck with it, and my eyes are like rolling back in my head it feels so good. Try it! It's only 30 bucks. No I don't work for them, lmao. Just want to share the love cuz it feels damn good :)

Last edited:
i have this same problem, and muscle relaxers are the only thing that can help. good luck.

^uhhh, not true at all. there are many options out there besides muscle relaxers.