• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Drug addictiveness

sean107

Bluelighter
Hey I'm just curious as to why certain drugs are more addictive than the others mainly for me dopamine based stims mainly methylphenidate, and amphetamine are extremely addictive to me, whereas say mdma (serotonin based stims) arent addictive to me. Neither are opiates generally. Please move if needed

Nobody is really sure.

Some people prefer stimulants, some prefer hallucinogens, some prefer seroton0n-releasers, some prefer opiates, etc...

In general "pleasurable liking" of drugs is caused by increase of dopamine in the nucleus accumbens, explaining why dopamine-releasing drugs are generally considered to be addictive.

MDMA actually releases dopamine too, but not as much as amphetamine.

Its how the brain reacts towards the drug, everybody's brain exactly isn't the same , supported by the multiple intelligence theory. People with ADD and ADHD amphetamines aren't as addictive for them, and actually reduced their chances of addiction to other substances.

Interesting to know because I have adhd and when I'm on amphs/methylphenidate I don't crave anything anymore, not even cigarettes.

Everyone's brain is wired differently.
& Everyone uses drugs for different reasons.
For example, I use meth when i'm with friends because it boosts my confidence. I love the feeling, something within my brain just clicked. But let's say you're a really confident person, so you don't see what anyone sees in uppers. Plus, your filled with energy naturally. You smoke heroin by yourself so you can finally relax or checkout.

I believe it depends on several different factors, such as what is the ROA, onset, duration, and then more intiate variables, such as, what is the persons tolerance, what is the personality type, and what does the user wish to accomplish through his/her/her-he's experience.

Personally, I am a pretty shy person with a lot of anxiety and stress. I suffered from OCD since I was 10 years old, and managed to get it somewhat under control for a period of time with SSRI's (sertraline), though it came back through other similar anxiety disorders (BDD) at older ages. I've always basically wanted to feel like things were 'okay', or that I was 'secure'. I experimented (well actually abused) alchohol pretty heavily for a teenager, and then marijuana, but ultimately heroin provided the high I was looking for. It's fast acting (through pretty much all ROA, though I inject when I use it), long lasting, and it takes care of pretty much every sadness, fear, or pain that I can possibly experience. On top of that it does a really good job at allowing me to only remember the fun times, instead of the horrible, shamefull and painfully ones.

Other drugs like cocaine, amphetamines and cathinones are also very addicting. For me Cocaine has the strongest psychological effect on me-for instance, if I watch a video of someone shooting cocaine I'll either start to feel nauseous, or I'll have to run to the bathroom before I crap my pants. Out of all the drugs I've tried (with MDPV coming in as a close second), coke has the strongest reinforcement power. Im really greatful that I've never had an insane ammount of money, because once I start using this drug, I am not able to stop until I run out-no matter what kind of quantity I have bought. I should mention that I'm an Iv user across the board, so when I used cocaine it was allways intravenous, which is in my oppinion completely different and more fiendish than the insufflated ROA.

Basically IME, any drug that enters my system the fastest and gives me the biggest boost, is what I go for. So for opiates-heroin and oxymorphone, stimulants-cocaine and MDPV, benzo's-alprazolam, psychedellics-DMT.

Nowadays Im trying to ease up on my drug use for fear of health consequences, and for the fact that I want to actually move forward, and the needle has been holding me back. I try and stick with less addictive (relatively) substances, and it works out okay, but does it compare to my DOC's? No. Just like adderall is never gonna feel like a shot of meth, clonazepam is never going to do for me what heroin does, but it gets me through the day, and I have a much easier time taking or leaving it (though benzo dependency is one of the worst addictions of all-at least in the sense that the withdrawal can be fatal, can cause long lasting damage, and the post acute withdrawal is hell)

As has been said, each of our brains is wired entirely differently. I myself, run at the speed of light between the ears. Hate it, due to this fact (and many more) my DOC is by far opiates, then benzos, then indica marijuana. Almost all I'm interested in now bsides the odd psychadelic, though I've tried all diff types of speed.

My guess is the who people can't seem to concentrate or gather their thoughts, people who physically cant stop cant stop cant stop and just focus on one thing, those are the ones that like the coke/crack/meth/adderall.

And there are the curveballs who want to take anything, it doesn't matter what.

For some it's alcohol.

Anyways. I still think opiates remain the most addictive substance on this planet, due to their extreme physical and mental dependancy potential. Even if you don't like the drug you could still get addicted to it if forceably dosed long enough. I just can't see that happening with meth or crack.

Anyways, I'm ramblin. You said it though. Different brain chemistry. Probably the variables are just too many to identify, but yeah brain chem I'd put right up there at variable numero uno.

I think that people are just naturally addicted to what makes them feel better the most, if that makes sense. Most people seem to be either predisposed to either downers or uppers initially, and that's due largely in part to brain chemistry / personality.

There usually has to be an underlying issue for someone to start using drugs, and imo the mental addiction usually takes hold first and then leads to the physical addiction. $0.02

for me stimulants are the most addictive, because they "complete" me if that makes sense. im a naturally ADD, antisocial, and lethargic, but after stimulants, i was able to self-medicate myself to normalcy. this of course created problems though, and now i cant use as often as before.

I crave uppers every now and then, not as bad as I used to. Never crave downers, don't get me wrong I enjoy them but I feel like they just hold me back in life rather than moving forward. Good for relaxation though. Everyone's brain is different and that's that.

I'm a speed addict obviously by my post name and a new member to bluelight and I feel as if everyone has their drugs of choice and it's hard to tell why but ive always enjoyed amps and mph one bc euphoria and two because it makes me feel as if I'm sitting on a throne large and in charge, an don't forget they're great for sex. But I prefer the power feeling over the sense of comfort and relaxation I get from opiates and benzos

Everyone's brain is wired differently.
& Everyone uses drugs for different reasons.
For example, I use meth when i'm with friends because it boosts my confidence. I love the feeling, something within my brain just clicked. But let's say you're a really confident person, so you don't see what anyone sees in uppers. Plus, your filled with energy naturally. You smoke heroin by yourself so you can finally relax or checkout.

I don't think I've ever heard it explained in that manner. Thats an interesting way of looking at it. I myself am a fanatic for uppers and when I look at it from that perspective I can see how it fits. Idk if I would necessarily say that it has too much to do with ones level of confidence but i agree, a person's affinity for a certain drug definitely reflects their personality traits.

Whichever drug happens to be your Achilles heel largely depends on what you're lacking, or wanting, from life and from drug use. There's an interesting thread comparing personality types to DOC here. I think predetermined disposition plays as large a role as anything.

Usually, heroin is known to be the DOC with people who experience a lot of anger, and it is their way of dealing with it. As far as my case, this definately holds some truth, but another heavy factor is my social anxiety and neurosis which heroin calms down. Yes, I am kind of a hyper person in way, but not because I am overly confident.

Not to generalize, but I've rarely met a heroin user who seemed genuinely confident and in control of his/her situation. Some are good at hiding it, but face the facts, the drug makes you feel like your back inside your mommy's belly...and yeah, its hard to say that, what with my overflowing sense of junky pride.

I honestly think heroin users are also at the most risk for becoming poly-substance abusers, though I don't have any research to back this up, just personal observation. For instance, I've found that most coke heads don't progress to shooting coke, if any thing they smoke crack. Heroin (IV) users offten become obsessed with the needle to the point where they want to try shooting up everything, and I've offten found friends on the street switch from IV heroin to IV coke/meth and then back to heroin again. This is another argument for why I believe heroin is potentially the most addictive drug.

Usually, heroin is known to be the DOC with people who experience a lot of anger, and it is their way of dealing with it. As far as my case, this definately holds some truth, but another heavy factor is my social anxiety and neurosis which heroin calms down. Yes, I am kind of a hyper person in way, but not because I am overly confident.

Not to generalize, but I've rarely met a heroin user who seemed genuinely confident and in control of his/her situation. Some are good at hiding it, but face the facts, the drug makes you feel like your back inside your mommy's belly...and yeah, its hard to say that, what with my overflowing sense of junky pride.

I honestly think heroin users are also at the most risk for becoming poly-substance abusers, though I don't have any research to back this up, just personal observation. For instance, I've found that most coke heads don't progress to shooting coke, if any thing they smoke crack. Heroin (IV) users offten become obsessed with the needle to the point where they want to try shooting up everything, and I've offten found friends on the street switch from IV heroin to IV coke/meth and then back to heroin again. This is another argument for why I believe heroin is potentially the most addictive drug.

I agree. I am one of those people. I was a poly drug user be4 i started using needles, but since i switched to the needle, i always love to try every drug i can fit into the syringe

^yeah and it's a great thing we are able to have such wonderful harm reduction resources because some of the thing I did long before I knew of HR were downright horrifying.

I have been addicted to marijuana, alcohol, benzos and heroin. I think I am capable of getting addicted to any drug that makes me feel good, except I don't know if I would get addicted to stimulants because I dont like the long coming down period after the euphoria is gone.