• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Advice for my sore shoulder.

Captain Brewster

Bluelight Crew
I've had a sore shoulder for weeks now, hurts to lift nearly anything at the moment.

My question is, where should I start with treatment, there's so many different treatments I don't know which is for my injury. I've been told about a few good chiro's, know of an osteo, but then today a mate at work suggested physio.

Grrr, to confused now, got no idea where to start.

I'm pritty sure it's work related, something to do with repetition and lifting heavy things.

If anyone had some handy advice, it would be welcomed.

Cheers.

You start at your general practitioner. They can guide you to people they trust in their system.

I'd just go to the regular GP and explain the problem and like was said, they'll refer you. What can help is some exercises to strengthen your rotator cuff, because a lot of problems are due to weakness in that muscle. One is lying on your side, with a light dumbbell only like 5 pounds or so, your upper arm is parallel with your body, and your elbow bent down 90 degrees, just rotate at the shoulder, moving the weight up so it's perpendicular to your body. Stretching too, one I always did was lying on your stomach with that arm out above you at about 45 degrees, rotate your elbow over into your body and then push up with your other arm so you feel the stretch where your pec and shoulder connect.

I used to have lots of shoulder pain in my right shoulder. I went for an MRI but they didn't really find anything useful. But I've found with working out and doing stretching everyday I don't suffer much from it anymore.

^ damn I need a new GP, I mentioned it to him, he told me it will pass, gave me panadeine forte.

I didn't realise they referred you to physio, chiro etc. allways thought they were in competition with each other.

Anyway I booked in with an osteo, but I wouldent have to pay if the doc referred me, true?

Well I don't know how the health care system is in Australia, in Canada you don't have to pay to visit a doctor, but stuff like physiotherapy isn't covered, you either have insurance for it through work or a private plan or you have to pay for it.

Anyway I booked in with an osteo, but I wouldent have to pay if the doc referred me, true?
Negative.

Some medical professionals require a referral from a GP in order to ensure they are only getting patients with conditions that will benefit from their treatment - it has nothing to do with how much you pay.

There may be a percentage of a medical bill that is covered by Medicare, but generally osteo, chiro and physio aren't in that group. You will have to check with your own private health insurance fund as to whether you can claim or not.