• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Don't fully understand half life

Dave1985

Greenlighter
Could someone help me out a little with this please , for example if I take 4mg of etizolam (which I believe has a half life of 6-8 hours) at sat 9am and another 4 mg at 6pm same day by Sunday morning 9am would I still have a considerable amount of etizolam in my system still, as this is when I start work and don't want to appear or feel still under the inflluence.
Thanks in advance for any replys.

I think half-life is when the effects start to subside. 4mg would knock me out, have you got legit stuff?

Half life is the time it takes for 1/2 the drug to leave your system.
At 6pm saturday it will have been 9 hours so you will have roughly 1-2mg still in your system.
By 9 am sunday you would still have 1-1.5mg if you redose with 4mg.

Yes I believe it is legit I get the eitlaam brand in blister packs blue coating white inside, I was on 10mg twice a day a few months back and I didn't want to keep upping my dose higher than that so decided to tapper myself down to 4mg twice a day.
So Sekio if I drop that to 3mg twice a day if i can without getting withdrawals at the same times , would it be very little left in my system come sun 9am. Thanks

Half life and duration of action are not the same thing. For example, the half life of valium is much longer than the half life of xanax. Buit valium doesn't keep you high that much longer than xanax.

Half life and duration of action are not the same thing. For example, the half life of valium is much longer than the half life of xanax. Buit valium doesn't keep you high that much longer than xanax.

This. Longer acting drugs (such as diazepam, clonazepam, methadone and buprenorphine) do usually last longer, but half life does not indicate duration entirely. If one were to take 40mg of methadone (which has a half life of 24-48 hours), two days later they would still have 10 mg left in their system. However, that does not mean that they have been feeling the effects of the drug the whole time. The body becomes accustomed to it, and if Dependant on a given substance (opiates/opioids in this case), they might even experience withdrawal even with a good ammount of the drug left in the system.

Usually you should be ale to take a substance with a medium-long half life two days in a row (at the same dose, with no other depressants in this case-or drugs that would effect etizolams metabolism-like CYP3A4 inhibitors, such as ketoconazole) without any problems such as overdose or becoming too intoxicated.

half life means the amount of time it takes for a number (or in terms of drugs, a dose) to reach 50% of its original full value.

so for example if you take 20 milligrams of oxy, and the half life is 5 hours (well 4-6, but im saying 5 for sake of example), then

T+0 hours = 20 mgs
T+5 hours = 10 mgs
T+10 hours= 5 mgs
T+15 hours= 2.5 mgs
T+20 hours= 1.25mgs
T+25 hours= 0.625mgs
and so on

So every five hours the amount of drug in your bloodstream is cut in half.

^Great posting, I literally just posted the same thing in another thread but used 4 hours as the oxy half life.

why when i take 4mg of xanax at 10am then take another 4mg at 4pm it doesn't hit me any harder than the first dose

you build a tolerance of measurable amount after the first use like i use for 5 to 10 days a month then take the rest of the month off and the first use i use 4mg so by my second dose i have a measurably higher tolerance?

I don't really understand what you're asking.

When you take a drug then dose the same drug again later that day, regardless of your previous tolerance and regardless of half-life, you're likely not going to experience the same effects as the first dose.

Okay I thought I knew what you were asking but I wasn't sure.

I don't really understand what you're asking.

When you take a drug then dose the same drug again later that day, regardless of your previous tolerance and regardless of half-life, you're likely not going to experience the same effects as the first dose.

I must be the exception that proves the rule, I've dosed d-amphetamine for well over 5 years daily and the dose feels like day 1, it even gotten better.

4mg for work more like it....but errm regarding etizolam youll be absolutely fine assuming you dont fall asleep on your first dose and wake up and its time for work. :)

I must be the exception that proves the rule, I've dosed d-amphetamine for well over 5 years daily and the dose feels like day 1, it even gotten better.

Well it's slightly different with amphetamines, I've noticed that too.

Half-life does not equal duration of effects. It's just the amount of time it takes for half of the drug to be removed from your body (then it takes the same amount of time for half of that to be gone and so on). Half-lives can also vary greatly from person to person, as we all have different metabolisms. Published half-lives are just averages.

What I always do is look up the duration of effects for a specific drug as well as it's half-life. Also the half-life for a drug's active metabolite(s) can be different from the original drug.

Taking a drug multiple times in one day often actually reduces the noticeable effects of the drug (at least the nice effects - not necessarily the side effects/dangers) as opposed to being equivalent to taking whatever amount plus whatever amount was still present in your body from the last dose. Although it depends on the drug.

Having a drug in your system is not the same as being under the influence of the drug. Otherwise smoking weed would get you stoned for a month :)

half life is simply the amount of time it takes for half of the drug to leave your blood stream and be excreted.

If you ingest a benzo with a 6 hour half life, say you take 5mg's then the following will happen:

in 5 hours, you will still have 2.5mg's in your bloodstream
in 10 hours you will have half of the first lapsed half life in your bloodstream, 1.25mg
15 hours 0.625mg's
20 hours 0.3125mg's
25 hours 0.158mg's

generally tolerance builds because a person might redose after 5 hours, so at 5 hours they might not really be feeling effects anymore but still have 2.5mg's in their blood stream, so when they redose they actually have 7.5mg's in their bloodstream, and if they redose again at the half life in 5 hours, they still have about 3.25mg's in their bloodstream + 5mg's so now even though they are taking the same 5mg dose, they have a total of 8.25mg's in their bloodstream etc etc. That's why withdrawal could take several days to start, because if you are taking 5mg's every 5 hours for 7 days straight, by the time you last dose you will have (and im just guessing) like 30mg's or more built up in your bloodstream.