• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Dental Hygiene and Meth: tips?

snazzy_sn

Bluelighter
someone brought to my attention recently that the chronic use of crystal meth can damage the teeth.
someone also brought to my attention recently the fact that i am a chronic user of crystal meth.

now, i really like my teeth. i want to keep them. i've received a lot of mixed advice lately on the matter but i'm not sure what's legit.
i've heard that snorting is the worst for your teeth, that mouthwash with alcohol shouldn't be used when high, that chewing gum absorbs the meth on your teeth and spreads it and makes it worse.

i'm a little concerned about meh chompers and any sounds advice on keeping them in good condition would be greatly appreciated.

thanks ^_^

Don't aim the pipe at your teeth primarily.
Drink gallons of water, brush and floss 3+ times a day.
Avoid sugary snacks on the comedown.

I think the most important thing is brushing b/w bowls and staying hydrated. Dry mouth = bad teeth

Route doesn't make a big difference because the drug itself reduces saliva production and the saliva protects your teeth. It's not just that your mouth is dry and that you can drink fluids or chew gum and be fine - you need the protective effects of your saliva. Biotene has a line of products that stimulates saliva production. It comes in toothpaste, gum, mouthwash, drops, gels, etc.

Simply brushing and staying hydrated is insufficient and all the things listed in the OP sound like bullshit to me (gum spreading the meth, snorting being the worst) but mouth wash with alcohol should be avoided because it will further dry out your mouth.

It's good to drink water and brush and floss as people mentioned but you will still have dental damage over the long run doing this so you need products to stimulate saliva production such as biotene. There are other products available that you can find looking up treatments for xerostomia but biotene is one of the most well known and widely available.

Don't aim the pipe at your teeth primarily.
Drink gallons of water, brush and floss 3+ times a day.
Avoid sugary snacks on the comedown.

This doesn't help it's not the meth vapor that causes meth mouth, as cane mentioned, it's all the ROAs. Maintaining dental hygiene is still very important though but brushing teeth is not enough.

I thought this post from a dental student in another thread would be helpful:
(xerostomia is decreased saliva production or "dry mouth")

Excellent recommendation for this entire community. Biotene is an amazing product for saliva substitution. They offer toothpaste, mouthwash, and gel. Some folks have suffered conditions which eliminate salivary production completely. Talk about living HELL. Regardless, this is used all the time for xerostomia. Best form is the gel, applied at night before bedtime, as salivary production nearly ceases while we sleep, and most people spend at least part of the night with their mouth open, both conditions accelerting decay.

While on topic of products, mouthwash in general is overrated. Never should be considered an actual preventative measure, solely a breath-agent or to supply fluoride or pH buffer at best. Never never use wash with alcohol as it dries out oral tissues an also accelerates decay. People feel the alcohol burn and think that it must be working. Wrong. Crest pro health amount others is alcohol free. Listerine has an alcohol free formulation. Pro health rinse does have an active ingredient which helps support healthy gums if used regularly, so is not a bad product for those with gingivitis or perio disease.

Any opiate user should request prescription Flouride toothpaste or gel from their dentist. Cheap awesome prevention. If you can't get that, go to the pharmacy and purchase ACT products, like their mouth rinse with fluoride. A Must for opiate users and the only time a rinse is good for decay prevention.

As far as toothpaste goes... ACT brand, Colgate total, crest pro health, or sensodyne for those with sensitivity as it has a numbing agent that kicks in After 2 weeks of continued use.

I used biotene when I was on Accutane (gross) and still use it when I tweak if my mouth gets bad.

I appreciate the plug, dancer. I didn't see this thread sitting here basically about the same thing!

As I said in the opiate/teeth thread, and some here have made the same points that are right on the money.
It's not the drug itself, it's 1) the xerostomia 2) bad habits that usually go along with drug abuse, ie poor oral hygiene

I think it was Cane above who also said the right thing in calling a couple of the things the OP mentioned total BS. Gum spreading the crystals across your teeth and causing decay? Absurd. Tell your friends that they are morons, lol.

It's all about the saliva. It physically bathes the teeth and mechanically washes bacteria away, it contains good bacteria which help stave off bad bacteria, contains components of the innate immune system, and buffers the pH. The pH needs buffering as the "bad" bacteria thrive in acidic environment, they produce acid as a by-product of sugar metabolism. Acid demineralizes enamel, "softening" it to allow bacterial invasion.

Meth causes xerostomia, smoking it physically causes it too. While we're asleep, salivary production slows considerably as well. So, after tweaking w/ constant dry mouth, eating sugar/acid, shitty oral hygiene entire time, then you go to sleep eventually... saliva production sucks while we sleep even without meth induced xerostomia...
so, perfect combination of events for no protection with saliva... acid reigns, enamel stays demineralized, bacteria feast on sugar left over releasing more acid... and tooth decay.
Even in absence of decay, there will be enough enamel demineralization to trap stain in the enamel matrix from smoke and shitty food during the binge.

Oh, and one correction, biotene and lke-products dont promote salivary production, these are saliva substitues. Mostly aid in moisturizing tissues, but also can help with the mechanical action of washing away bacteria, and have elements to buffer pH. What's not there is the innate immune system and the good bacteria that inhibit colonization of the bad. So, it's a good tool, but not a cure-all... and again, is merely a substitute.

Back to the gum comment -- you SHOULD chew gum during a meth binge and gum does promote salivary production. Better yet, sugar free gum... better yet, gum or products containing xylitol. Proven to fight decay.

i'm confused about something.
i've been a believer in the "it's not the drug, it's the poor oral hygeine" thing for awhile now.

but i recently realized that meth is highly corrosive. (peels the letters on the bottom of a coke can right off when you make a shot) can't deny it, and while smoking it seems harmful in an obvious way...

when you inject you can taste the meth in your mouth and i can actually feel it in my teeth... so could i.v.ing be really bad for your teeth too?

Gurgle then spit some water after every hit/shot, it won't stop it completely but it should get any residue from the vapor out of there.

Plus it's great to rehydrate the back of your throat.

so could i.v.ing be really bad for your teeth too?

Every route is primarily because of the effect it has on saliva production as was said above. It's not JUST oral hygiene (which often makes it worse) and JUST because it's corrosive. The effect it has on saliva plays a large role hence why we're recommending products to stimulate saliva production.

i will take this advice, but i'm wondering...

is tooth decay inevitable if one uses for years...?

my mom used for fifteen years straight, but she had porcelain veneers...

Brush your teeth often. Use a soft bristled brush. Too much brushing with a stiff bristled tooth brush will do more damage than the meth will. Use mouth wash in the morning and before bedtime or if you're in a hurry and don't have time to brush. I like the one that is blue and slightly minty and bubbles when you swish it.

Drink lots of water. When your mouth gets dry swish some salt water or one of those mouth washes specifically for increasing saliva.

DRINK MILK. Seriously. It's good for your teeth. It's why I've never had a cavity despite having terrible brushing habits for most of my life. Plus it's got protein and shit. Good stuff.

Flossing is probably a good idea. Idk I've flossed like twice ever but everyone says its important, so do that.

Deep throat the pipe. There is debate on whether the smoke itself actually facilitates tooth decay, but it can't hurt, and all of your friends will enjoy making fun of you/asking if you want to deep throat anything else. Just put the pipe behind your teeth so you aren't sucking smoke past them.

I wouldn't bother putting the pipe behind your teeth because when you blow the vapor out it hits ur teeth so u can't really avoid that unless u exhale out your nose

I wish I'd known this like 14 years ago. I went on a good 8-9 year binge. I have fake teeth now. *sighs* I'm only 56 too. Ah well.

^It shouldn't be worse as the mechanism of action is the same, no matter what ROA (besides taking it orally). Try to chew gum (containing xylit would be the best I think) to produce salvia, brush your teeth three times a day and don't consume too much sugar

I use amphetamines, not meth, but the dry mouth/dehydration is still a factor. Plus I smoke other stuff. I use this hydrating mouthwash called Biotene, rather than alcohol based ones that will further dry your mouth. Is it actually working? Idk, but my teeth are still in good shape.

whoops, just saw the poster above me mention Biotene too! It can't hurt to add to your dental hygeine routine.

Brush your teeth regularly, use mouth wash, chew minty gum (helps keep mouth wet), get enough vitamin D, and if you do plan on chugging gallons of water...throw an electrolyte mixture in. Pinch of salt and sugar in a bottle of water, a couple times a day. Drinking tons of water is great until you're flushing all the good shit out, it ends up being counterproductive.