• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone nausea

plague66

Bluelighter
Hello. First of all I have been taking Methadone for 1 year, currently on 45 mg's. Lately I have been experiencing bad case of nausea in the mornings. Usually then I wouldn't eat any breakfast, just take the mdone and eat few hours later. But it wasn't until yesterday when I woke up, felt nauseated, took my methadone dose and within seconds experienced a bad bad explosive nausea. I was literally screaming puking and couldnt properly breathe, puking so bad that I felt burning dry inside. Puked all the methadone out, too. And I couldnt drink/eat anything, just kept puking every few minutes when there wasn't anything to puke. I was then admitted to a hospital for a few hours, got alot of sedatives and the puking finally settled. By then the withdrawals started to kick in cause I had puked out my methadone and I now was in a terrible situation. Withdrawing and can't drink my methadone because of nausea.

I didn't sleep all night and the next day I took my methadone dose 10mg every 20mins and thank god it stayed inside. While I feel much better, I still feel like I cannot eat anything and can only drink small amounts of water. Has anyone ever experienced something like this? If so, what helps? Cause I don't feel like the nausea is going to subside.

i've only experienced anything like that during w/d.
What did they say @ the hospital...what did they say was wrong w/you?
I don't know if you're a man/woman..but if you're a woman I'd assume they'd done a preg. test.
It could be nothing more than you just happened to get sick w/a virus...in which case,
in all honesty, I'd tell you to hit the bowl a couple times to help w/the nausea..
but I don't know why you're on methadone to begin with...so that may not be an option.
Is this MMT or rx'd for pain or what?

token

i've only experienced anything like that during w/d.
What did they say @ the hospital...what did they say was wrong w/you?
I don't know if you're a man/woman..but if you're a woman I'd assume they'd done a preg. test.
It could be nothing more than you just happened to get sick w/a virus...in which case,
in all honesty, I'd tell you to hit the bowl a couple times to help w/the nausea..
but I don't know why you're on methadone to begin with...so that may not be an option.
Is this MMT or rx'd for pain or what?

token
I'm a male. At the hospital they did alot of tests, said everything is OK blah blah sideeffects of opiates blah blah get out of here you junkie blah blah...
I can't smoke weed, I get super anxious when I do so. Haven't smoked in years.
It's MMT for opiate addiction. Honestly I feel like this shit is the most evil drug ever... I remember the good old days, when I was on fentanyl, I would just suffer for a week with benzos, loperamide and clonidine and I was OK... sigh

have they recently cut your dose down significantly?

I prefer to smoke on a benzo/s or somas for the same anxiety issues...
if you're on mmt you prob. couldn't smoke even if you did want to anyway, right?

so, the hospital said that you were fine, and that you're just now experiencing side effects from a med.
you've been on for over a year..hmmm...
this is why i say hospitals are where ppl go to die.
They didn't give you anything for the nausea?
you need to force yourself to drink fluids or you're gonna end up
back @ where you don't wanna be.

~token

Last edited:
I really doubt it's a side effect of the methadone since you've been on it for a year. More likely it's a withdrawal symptom. I get nausea from withdrawals before I take the methadone in the morning. Rarely I will get nausea or diarrhea that seems to get slightly worse right when/just after I take the methadone, but I do not think it's a side effect of the methadone, it's just that my body knows that it is it's last chance to get the shit/vomit out before the methadone kicks in (methadone can take about an hour to take effect). I used to get that more often when I was doing heroin, right before or right when I would do the heroin I would badly have to take a shit, it really feels like my body "knows" that opioids are constipating and that I won't be able to go for a long time.

Another possibility to consider is is your methadone in liquid form? If so, is it being kept properly refrigerated? It can ferment if not refrigerated (from the ingredients added to it, like juice, Tang, Kool-aid, sugar, whatever). Or has the clinic or pharmacy recently changed the inactive ingredients? For example, perhaps before it was mixed with sugar and flavouring and now it is mixed with artificial sweetener and flavouring? If so, you could be allergic to the artificial sweetener (or the flavouring).

Otherwise, it's very possible that you may just be sick and the hospital wasn't able to detect what is wrong with you. (Or they may have just not taken you seriously because you are on methadone, which unfortunately happens a lot. It's very weird that they gave you sedatives and that they didn't give you anti-nausea meds. I do not have a lot of faith in hospitals.).

Last edited:
usually one experiences nausea when the dose of 'done is too high but that obbviously isn't the case here.;; it is possible to develop allergic recactions tio things you have not have had problems with before.;. so if it continues, i would suggest swithing to bupe

Sometimes I get nauseous in the morning prior to taking my dose. The best thing to do is sip ginger-ale and have one or two saltine crackers and then lay down for an hour or two until the dose kicks in.

Still the same crap. I'm thinking I should switch over to Suboxone. Can anyone give me some good tips? How low should I drop before making the switch? And how to do it, when to take the first dose of bupe etc? I have Clonidine, Clonazepam etc. readily available to ease the symptoms.