• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opium vs Methadone?

Pars101

Bluelighter
My cousin who lives in Iran has does opium recreationally fairly regularly, but now has starting doing methadone. And he says he enjoys the high alot more than opium. However, people on blulight seem to be methadone haters in the sense that they claim it has no recreational value. And it doesnt get you "high". My cousin said, the methadone high is stronger than opium he smokes, however it has no rush. But is longer lasting.

Whats your opinion? which would I enjoy more? I have no tolerance to opiates.

We don't really do drug comparisons here.. I suppose I'll let this stay open for a little while in case I miss anything but..

Basically, there are opiates and opioids. Opiates (morphine, codeine, Thebaine) are all alkaloids derived from Papaver somniferum (the opium poppy), from these alkaloids, semi-synthetics are created such as oxycodone (codeine and Thebaine). These drugs fit into the same receptor sites which endogenous opiates (endorphins)

Methadone is an opioid, meaning it is completely synthetic, but still acts upon these same receptors. Methadone is a very strong opioid compared to others and it also has an especially long half life. For these reasons, some people enjoy methadone for recreational purposes, as it is potent and will keep you high for a long time. This also makes it very dangerous though, and when mixed with other CNS depressants such as benzodiazpine's and alchohol (which unfortunately is common practice) It is rather easy to overdose on. Another thing about methadone, is that with chronic, high dosing (60mg and above), methadone raises ones tolerance to a point where opiate receptors become saturated, creating a blockade effect (which is one of the reasons that it is used for opiate replacement therapy.

At a stable, high dose of methadone it becomes nearly impossible to get high on opiates or opioids, even on methadone itself. Many people will try and get a buzz back by doubling there dosage, but instead of feeling euphoric, they become sedated and run a serious risk for resperitory depression.

People often discourage recreational use of methadone for these reasons. I also noticed that you tagged your thread with a syringe. I'm hoping that you are not injecting either of these substances, especially opium which is full of all kinds of plant material. Injecting methadone is also pretty pointless as it has a very high oral BA, and IV provides no rush. Not to mention that without a filter, your introducing all sorts of harmful pill binders directly into your blood stream.

I think Znegative explained it well. People on Bluelight are not "methadone haters", many of us just don't think the risk is worth the reward when it comes to methadone. If you take it every day you will quickly develop a tolerance and not get high off it anymore. You will also develop a strong physical dependence and the withdrawals when you try to quit are terrible and last for a very long time. There is also a strong danger of overdose in people who are new to opioids or are chasing a high. These are the reasons people say it has little recreational value, you might be able to get high for the first little while, but for people who take it regularly it just makes them feel normal and alleviates withdrawal symptoms.

Methadone isn't a drug to be used recreationally. Eventually it stops getting you high by itself and your only option to get a high out of it is to combine it with benzos. I'm prescribed 100mg a day, been on it for 3 years. If I take 150mg-200mg and toss back 3mg of Alprolozam or Etizolam I can get a high that is almost as good as dope. The thing is, doing that is playing with fire. To much methadone or to high of a benzo dose and you could fall asleep and never wake up from respiratory depression, or you could get so high you pass out, puke, and choke on your own vomit and die. Every few weeks someone at my clinic ends up in the hospital because of that combo, all because they want to get high. That's why I don't do that shit. Tried it a few times and said fuck it, not worth the risk. Methadone is a medicine, you use that shit as directed if you are prescribed it. It's not for having fun.

methadone is pretty much time release heroin... reason u stop getting "high" from it on maintenance is because there is so much in your blood your basically constantly high and to you that feeling has become "normal"... .. but mostly the half-life is so long the blood plasma levels remain constant with daily dosing... Heroin is more peak and valley effect while methadone is just a steady line with very little movement.... Why people feel stable and can lead productive lives..

People not on maintenance methadone is highly recreational and dangerous cause of the half life

I think methadone is way way stronger than opium... pure raw opium that hasn't dried is pretty strong though...

only 10mgs of methadone and 1mg of xanax have caused naive people to overdose.. crazy powerful

The nazi's invented methadone crazy ass drug

yeah, you see the way to get high is going from few opioid receptors occupied to lots occupied. If youa re on a drug that constantly occupies your receptors like methadone or suboxone, you aren't going to feel much of a high from it. if yoiu are a not an addict but just take it once, of course you will get high because you are going from no receptors occupied to a ton of receptors occupied.

yeah, you see the way to get high is going from few opioid receptors occupied to lots occupied. If youa re on a drug that constantly occupies your receptors like methadone or suboxone, you aren't going to feel much of a high from it. if yoiu are a not an addict but just take it once, of course you will get high because you are going from no receptors occupied to a ton of receptors occupied.

That's not exactly how it works, but kinda close. If you are on an opioid for a period of time opioid tolerance occurs because the brain cells that have opioid receptors on them gradually become less sensitive to the opioid stimulation. Therefore, more and more opioid is needed to produce pleasure comparable to that provided previously. Methadone creates this kind of tolerance extremely quickly because it is so long-lasting, it is constantly occupying the opioid receptors. It's the occupation of a lot of receptors that produces the opioid high, not the switch from having a few occupied to a lot occupied (that may provide the "rush" but not the high itself). Your brain just adapts to having a lot of receptors occupied quickly with methadone. It it worked the way you said then people would be able to get high again just by stopping taking methadone for a couple days.

Thanks for your help. Nah, I dont plan on injecting methadone, but overall why would methadone not give a high to someone with no tolerance? surely the effects of 10mg or 20mg or something would be euphoric and good for someone who is NOT an opiate addict?

I dont think its even possible to inject opium it self, id much rather smoke it if I can :)

What is a reasonable amount for someone who has no opiate tolerance, would 10mg produce a fairly decent high? /10mg valium. I will not be doing this over and over again. Id stick with opium after, but I want to give it one go and be safe doing it THANKS!

so 10mg of methadone and 10mg of valium would be dangerous?

Is it possible to get rid of the methadone time release? e.g. chewing it like Ritalin.

Last edited by a moderator:
so 10mg of methadone and 10mg of valium would be dangerous?
Yes, don't try that. Don't take opioids and benzos together.
Is it possible to get rid of the methadone time release? e.g. chewing it like Ritalin.
What do you mean? I wasn't aware there was "time-release" methadone. Methadone just has a very long duration of action, there is no way to get around that.

The nazi's invented methadone crazy ass drug

That's a myth. Methadone was invented in 1937 by German scientists Max Bockmühl and Gustav Ehrhart at IG Farben, who dubbed the chemical Hoechst 10820, and later named it Polamidon.1 The drug was not mass-produced for commercial use at all during World War II, but after the war, the factory that produced the drug fell under American control which spawned the start of the first clinical trials for methadone. Many believe the myth that the brand, Dolophine, was coined in honor of Adolf Hitler; however, the name was actually created by Eli-Lilly, an American pharmaceutical company. Some speculate that the word is a combination of the Latin word dolor (pain) and the French word fin (end).

Methadone is not time released. The wafers and pills it comes in dissolve almost instantly in warm water.

What is a reasonable amount for someone who has no opiate tolerance, would 10mg produce a fairly decent high? /10mg valium. I will not be doing this over and over again. Id stick with opium after, but I want to give it one go and be safe doing it THANKS!

Don't risk it. Not worth it at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Methadone's long duration of action is due to it's half-life, not a time release. Tampering with the pills in any way shape or form does not shorten the experience.

Yes, even IV methadone does not really give it any more of a kick, oral or rectal is the way to go (like many things in life ;) ). Like others before me have said, its not a time released drug, it just has a long half life, and crushing it up like you would an old school OC, is not going to make it hit you any harder or faster.

i have a friend who did methadone with no/low tolerance and found it enjoyable... i don't find it euphori though, because i take it every day

There was a high percentage of working class people that looked forward to enjoying their "pipey" vaporizing. or a glass or two
of "laudenum", liquid opium & wine, around the turn of the century just to laugh away the daily grind w/o ill effect.
It wasnt until morphine was isolated from opium that it started to become "demonized"

Thank god morphine was isolated! It is by far the most effective pain killer I have ever had the misfortune to require!

Thank god morphine was isolated! It is by far the most effective pain killer I have ever had the misfortune to require!

Proper technique of vaping' or your daily requirement of liquid opium would bring close to the same amount of pain relief. "Believe it or Not"

Oh hey, I was not saying opium wasn't a great analgesic as well, it's just not cost effective for me as a chronic pain patient to use opium vs. prescription morphine.

I am a whore for opium, tis my favorite less-common drug.

Oh hey, I was not saying opium wasn't a great analgesic as well, it's just not cost effective for me as a chronic pain patient to use opium vs. prescription morphine.

I am a whore for opium, tis my favorite less-common drug.

Righton, Somehow I knew, you knew...isnt it a given ?

it is <3

Nothing better than making your own too. But we can't get into that :(

Hey F&W, do you have AIM instant messenger? Did you get my PMs explaining your BL support question to your satisfaction?