• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Hydrocodone raised to CII in US EDIT: Not really EDIT2: actually yeah

Bluelight Crew
U.S. senators on Wednesday evening unanimously passed an amendment to a Food and Drug Administration reauthorization bill that would reclassify all hydrocodone substances and make punishment for their trafficking more severe.

The amendment, introduced by Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., would reclassify painkillers like Vicodin and Lortab as Schedule II drugs, which also affects how they are to be stored and prescribed.

For instance, patients would need an original prescription for refills, hydrocodone pills would need to be transported and stored more securely and traffickers would be subject to increased criminal penalties, according to a news release from Manchin's office.

Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., and three other senators -- including two other Democrats and a Republican -- co-sponsored the amendment.

"I'm truly pleased that this amendment has passed and will make it much harder for anyone to abuse these prescription drugs," Manchin said in a statement. "I offered this legislation on behalf of the countless West Virginians whose lives have been cut short by drug abuse and the families who are picking up the pieces.

"I'm committed to working extremely hard across the aisle to see this most important legislation passed," he said.

Prescription drugs are responsible for about 90 percent of all drug-related deaths in West Virginia, and about 75 percent in the U.S, according to Manchin's release.

Schedule I drugs contain the most dangerous substances. Currently, hydrocodone is considered a Schedule II drug, but when combined with substances like Tylenol, they are listed in a less stringent category, Schedule III.

The amendment would make all substances containing hydrocodone Schedule II drugs.

http://wvgazette.com/News/201205230316?page=1

seriously? WTF??!?!?!?

When does this go in effect? Or do amendments like this automatically take effect?

Thanks for posting this.

has anyone died from a hydrocodone OD (not from Tylenol)?

I'm not trying to be cynical: I'm just looking for a case history, or an anecdote, or anything. Some time ago I found a 2-year-old hydrocodone OD, but does anyone know of any adults?

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I haven't seen it.

This is going to make it really hard for a lot of people to get a mild/moderate amount of pain relief.

Yeah, not having a moderate opioid avaliable as III is seriously going to hurt many people. Its really fucked up with since codeine for one is weak and two many individuals can not take codeine due to poor reactions. This leaves tramadol as the only real alternative unless they feel comfertable scripting a schedule II drug, which many doctors (esp general practitionars are not comfertable with doing). Tramadol may work for some individuals especially those with some neurological symptoms, but for somatic pain it isn't the best drug.

Ugh, I hate how laws aren't based on the science of medicine, or from a medical point of view. Its based on political bullshit.

also, no more refills for hydroscripts

Or this could have the opposite effect if all effective painkillers are schedule 2 why not just write for the op 20s they are the same schedule and "abuse proof"

Or this could have the opposite effect if all effective painkillers are schedule 2 why not just write for the op 20s they are the same schedule and "abuse proof"

I highly doubt that to be likely.

This could be a blessing in disguise. It could indicate not so much that hydrocodone is being put up higher on the ladder, making it harder to get, but rather that it is bringing C-II drugs, on the whole, down a notch. Hydrocodone will continue to be prescribed, there is no doubt, because that is really the first decent non-codeine painkiller on the opiate chain for pain management. And if hydrocodone becomes scheduled right up there with oxycodone, docs might not feel so afraid of writing for oxycodone instead of hydrocodone being that they would be in the same schedule, because I don't see it happening that docs will just say no to all hydrocodone products and turn to Tylenol 3's for their patients' pain relief. As opiophobic as docs are becoming these days, hydrocodone is essential in the world of pain management esp. for short-term pain relief like after a broken bone, tooth extraction, bad sprain etc. I don't think docs will really like this at all, and they'll just pretty much ignore it, and/or, like I said, just say "fuck it, Percocet or Vicodin? which works better for you pt. X?" Doctors are so full of themselves, and in this case it might not be a bad thing. We shall see, and also see how Zo-hydro comes into play with all of this.

^I don't think they care honestly or maybe that some senators are unaware of the problems of getting opioid medications legally for chronic pain. The fact that the decision was unanimous seems to point to that direction. Well, whatever is best for our children I guess 8)

If anything tylenol should be banned as it does more harm than good. They make tylenol for infants. What a bad start for such a young liver. If i remember correctly the FDA lowered the maximum acetaminophen dose per pill to 325mg? Not completely sure, just remember seeing something of that sort. And if it is true than I am bafffled because I was prescribed generic 5/500-hydro/APAP for a wisdom tooth extraction. But I also know someone who got a script that was 5/325. Who knows.

Last edited:
It could indicate not so much that hydrocodone is being put up higher on the ladder, making it harder to get, but rather that it is bringing C-II drugs, on the whole, down a notch

let's hope so, but it will take a really long time to desensitize a large enough population for this to begin happening.

If anything tylenol should be banned as it does more harm than good. They make tylenol for infants. What a bad start for such a young liver. If i remember correctly the FDA lowered the maximum acetaminophen dose per pill to 325mg? Not completely sure, just remember seeing something of that sort. And if it is true than I am bafffled because I was prescribed generic 5/500-hydro/APAP for a wisdom tooth extraction. But I also know someone who got a script that was 5/325. Who knows.

5/500's are still around for the next year or 2, but docs are still writing for them, those most aren't.

Holy shit hydrocodone schedule 2?!?! SERIOUSLY!? That is the same level as meth and coke! Anyone that has tried hydrocodone knows that its so weak and pathetic that it shouldn't even be scheduled, at the very most maybe schedule 5... I swear the USA government is going to start scheduling vitamins and minerals as illegal narcotics next that you will need to have a prescription for, therefore making it necessarily to have Obama health insurance just to fucking LIVE!!!!!!!!!!! FUCK THE NEW WORLD ORDER AND ITS SATANIC ZIONIST AGENDA! DOWN WITH THE ROTHSCHILD FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U.S. senators on Wednesday evening unanimously passed an amendment to a Food and Drug Administration reauthorization bill that would reclassify all hydrocodone substances and make punishment for their trafficking more severe.

As per usual, this decision is not based on science or medicine, but on prison-industrial politics. They don't even hide behind a scientific facade anymore because they don't have to. We concern ourselves with inconsequential issues ('ooh, Obama supports GAY MARRIAGE!') while people like Chuck Schumer, Jay Rockefeller, et al continue chipping away at our freedom without any fanfare. Nevermind that half our gigantic prison population (already the largest on Earth) is made up of non-violent drug offenders. More prisoners = more free labor and less freedom upon release, which benefits the elite who make the laws.

Welcome to the USSA.