• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

List grows of officers finding themselves on the other side of the law

Bluelight Crew
South Florida police officers seem to be increasingly finding themselves on the wrong side of the law.

Last week’s episode involving a Broward sheriff’s deputy charged with witness-tampering is the latest in a growing list of trans- gressions.

Alonzo “Zo” Costanzo, 42, was busted while allegedly trying to help out another officer who had gotten himself in trouble.

Fort Lauderdale detective Billy Koepke, described by authorities as Costanzo’s “buddy,” was snared in an ongoing FBI racketeering case.

Koepke, along with another Fort Lauderdale officer, Brian Dodge, are accused of shaking down pain clinic customers and stealing drugs and cash.

“We’re not the sleepy little South Florida anymore,” said retired North Miami Police Maj. Bob Lynch, who teaches at the police academy. “There are a lot more people, and if you look at police officers, there’s more opportunity for graft. Once you start compromising yourself, it’s hard to stop.”

Recent developments seem to bear that out. Over the past year, a Miami police officer was arrested for weaving in and out of traffic at 120 mph on Florida’s Turnpike in Broward; another Miami police officer pleaded guilty to stealing thousands of dollars from colleagues; a Hollywood police officer was found guilty of falsifying a DUI-crash investigation; and a Miami Beach cop was arrested after, authorities said, he took a woman on a drunken ATV joyride.

Two Coral Springs officers are under investigation for allegedly trumping up criminal charges against a stranded motorist, two BSO deputies are under investigation for grand theft, two others were arrested in January for allegedly falsifying police reports and Opa-locka has the distinction of having the police officer with the worst Florida Department of Law Enforcement record in the state.

That officer, German Bosque, remains on the force despite being arrested three times and fired five times. He is on desk duty, pending yet another investigation into alleged misconduct.

Costanzo, who has appeared on the television show Cops, was among five Broward sheriff’s deputies who responded to a traffic stop in January. The couple in the vehicle was pulled over for making an improper turn. They turned out to be the same couple who had accused Costanzo’s “buddy” — Koepke — of misconduct. The female passenger, Bonita Liston, was arrested on the spot for having diet pills and other pills that later proved to be legally prescribed.

While at the Broward Sheriff’s Office substation, Liston mentioned that she was involved in a criminal case against the two Fort Lauderdale cops. Costanzo began recording the conversation with his cellphone, and later told a supervisor that he had sent the tape to Koepke, believing it would help him.

A warrant was issued for Costanzo’s cellphone, but the recording had been deleted.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/...finding.html#storylink=misearch#storylink=cpy

Cops are just fucking people. Some people are honest, but most are crooked.

Wtf these cops are retards

When I first read the title and first few lines of the OP I figured it would all be about cops accepting bribes from the cartels to help smuggle drugs through airports or something along those lines.
But then I realized these cops are pretty much just doing stupid shit, that's not even close to being worth it at all.

I mean shit, at least accept a pay off or something like that and then if you did eventually get caught it would be worth it cause you already spent the money on hookers and blow or whatever faggot cops like to do behind closed doors

Cops who abuse their power should be punished severely - more severely than "regular people".
They are put in a position of power by society, and with that power must come responsibility.

Ive heard conflicting reports of people who get caught with drugs and have DARE license plates get harsher penalties.

anyone that can confirm/deny that?

Cops who abuse their power should be punished severely - more severely than "regular people".
They are put in a position of power by society, and with that power must come responsibility.

Yes! Without a doubt.

Wtf these cops are retards

When I first read the title and first few lines of the OP I figured it would all be about cops accepting bribes from the cartels to help smuggle drugs through airports or something along those lines.
But then I realized these cops are pretty much just doing stupid shit, that's not even close to being worth it at all.

I mean shit, at least accept a pay off or something like that and then if you did eventually get caught it would be worth it cause you already spent the money on hookers and blow or whatever faggot cops like to do behind closed doors

this is more common than many people assume. Illegal activity often does not produce outsize profits. One of the reasons I wasn't too motivated to keep selling weed is because some days I'd make more money delivering pizza. But selling is fun. Breaking the law is fun. I imagine that some cops are crooked for that reason: it brings them pleasure. It's pathological criminality; and pathology is, by definition, irrational.

Your avatar is Eli Wallach?

Cops are just fucking people. Some people are honest, but most are crooked.

Not only that, but the job seems to specifically attract a particular type of person, the ones who want to walk around with a badge and wield authority for the sake of it. It's like politics, the only people who want to do the job are the last ones you'd want doing it.