• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - OxyNEO another prescription for disaster?

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
OxyNEO another prescription for disaster?
Sharon Kirkey
The Vancouver Sun
May 19th, 2012

More than two months after one of the most abused drugs in modern medicine - OxyCon-tin - was taken off the market, there are signs that Canadian drug users are trying to adapt and to fill the void that's been left.

On websites, drug users are sharing recipes on how to crack the code for OxyNEO - a new version of the drug - which is designed to turn gel-like when dissolved in liquid so it can't be pulled into a syringe.

In Toronto, public health officials say they are trying their best to encourage clients not to try to break OxyNEO down, "because we don't really know what the impact is of injecting a gel formulation into someone's veins," says Dr. Rita Shahin, an associate medical officer of health with Toronto Public Health.

In Ottawa, where police believe the street supply of OxyContin is drying up, use of fentanyl - a heavy hitter opi-oid stronger than oxycodone, the active ingredient in Oxy-Contin, that has always been a part of the city's drug-trade equation - is growing.

"We've seen an increase in the number of seizures, particularly at the street level, and a lot of trafficking in fentanyl patches," says Ottawa Police Staff Sgt. Mike Laviolette.

Read the full story here.

yeah, heroin is available, for the most part it is all stomped to crap and it is usually hard to come by outside of the larger cities (still then, you would want a connection) Codeine is OTC so there is a lot of homebake made here but, as you probably know, homebake is usually distributed amongst a tight nit group.

Pills are just so much easier, everyone in my city knows a pill dealer. it is 2 months later and I could still go get an oxy80 within an hour. (though it would cost me snip CDN!!!!!) When I was in high school, I struggled to find oxycontin, I found it twice, once it was an oxy40 i found in my fathers housecoat. The other was a kid selling 20's at school for snip each. 4 Years later and I wouldn't be able to get a 20 for less than snip! Also, 4 years later it seems that everyone is ok with oxy. Young kids, parents, grandparents, teachers, cops etc. They all have something good to say about oxycodone.

I think what was mentioned in the article about waiting for the old oxy's to dry up before we see a huge withdrawal/fent/heroin boom. As I said, I could get an oxy80 for snip right now but apparently those are selling quick (don't ask me, that price i crazy) Once the oxy's are gone we will be stuck with hydromorphone 30mg capsules (which are very easy to cut with a number of other pharmeceuticals, once had a cap full of venlafaxine, not hydromorph... horrible day) hydromorphone 2mg, 4mg and 8mg pills, fentanyl patches, morphine and heroin. I already know a few people who have died from fent since the oxy has gone byebye, I am sure people will learn.

Hydromorphone pills are currently the best on the market (they were better than oxy to begin with) they aren't hard, they dissolve in water without crushing, they hit harder than oxy and are smaller than oxy. Once all the oxy is gone and people ahve realized fent isnt worth it, they will start raising the prices on hydromorph. They hydromorph will be the new favourite. Then they will reformulate that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just shows how out of touch they are. They think people are just going to give up using when it gets tougher. I garuntee you if they added cyanide to them we'd just start getting lots of cyanide deaths. Look at the whole krokodil thing going on in Russia. No matter the consequences people are going to use. These "deterrents" are just causing more health problems.

An opiate addict is an opiate addict, if you remove on formula they'll move onto the next, if you remove them all, they'll use heroin. It's absurd to think that changing oxy to a new formula that can't be crushed will make them give up and just say 'oh well, time to go back to being sober.'

University/college kids and 15-25 year olds in Vancouver and surrounding areas still abuse the fuck out of opiates. 2 Months after OxyNeo, the old OCs are just as easy to come by although the price has in some cases more than doubled to 1:1 ratio for old CDN. Both univercity markets and downtown East Side are being flooded with fake 80s (both american green OC and canadian cdn), which according to some reports online contain 1.5mg fentanyl. The high from them is opiate like but definatelly no oxycodone.
Not to mention that generic oxy is still around (20s etc), those are still widely used (prices going up as well). Heroin has obv. remained same price and I've had a couple of friends try it for the first time in their lives in the last few weeks. The most popular replacement are hydromorphone (2,4,8mg) pills which can be obtained by anyone ridiculously easy now (whereas I found them pretty hard to come by a couple years ago). Oxy keeps shooting up in price, some dealers are buying massive quantities to save up for the drought, not selling any of them (driving the prices through the roof).

All in all the new formulation has not decreased the demand for opiate like drugs in any way, people just switch or pay more...

Down is only easy to find (as in score on the street without a connect) in Vancouver, probably not difficult in toronto or montreal but ive never tried in those places. in van i just walked a main drag in south van and asked anyone who asked me out on a date (hookers) if
they could call someone instead for D and i bought them a 20 of down or hard for helping me. the only people who do oxy in Van are punk ass rich kids from white rock or people who will end up on heroin eventually bc they realize D is better and cheaper

Pills are just so much easier, everyone in my city knows a pill dealer. it is 2 months later and I could still go get an oxy80 within an hour. (though it would cost me $120 CDN!!!!!) When I was in high school, I struggled to find oxycontin, I found it twice, once it was an oxy40 i found in my fathers housecoat. The other was a kid selling 20's at school for 2 bucks each. 4 Years later and I wouldn't be able to get a 20 for less than 30 bucks! Also, 4 years later it seems that everyone is ok with oxy. Young kids, parents, grandparents, teachers, cops etc. They all have something good to say about oxycodone.

Back in 2002, the original OC 80's were going for snipin the northeast..........then before they were taken off the market in 2010, they were snip dollars.

The situation is really bad here in Peel Region outside Toronto, people are hating OxyNEO and everybody is trying to find a hookup for the old ones. I cannot source the old ones at all anymore, for any price.. Shitty state of affairs

University/college kids and 15-25 year olds in Vancouver and surrounding areas still abuse the fuck out of opiates. 2 Months after OxyNeo, the old OCs are just as easy to come by although the price has in some cases more than doubled to 1:1 ratio for old CDN. Both univercity markets and downtown East Side are being flooded with fake 80s (both american green OC and canadian cdn), which according to some reports online contain 1.5mg fentanyl. The high from them is opiate like but definatelly no oxycodone.
Not to mention that generic oxy is still around (20s etc), those are still widely used (prices going up as well). Heroin has obv. remained same price and I've had a couple of friends try it for the first time in their lives in the last few weeks. The most popular replacement are hydromorphone (2,4,8mg) pills which can be obtained by anyone ridiculously easy now (whereas I found them pretty hard to come by a couple years ago). Oxy keeps shooting up in price, some dealers are buying massive quantities to save up for the drought, not selling any of them (driving the prices through the roof).

All in all the new formulation has not decreased the demand for opiate like drugs in any way, people just switch or pay more...

WOW! I have had one of these CDN green 80's already!

I made a thread about it on some site (maybe bluelight) thinking that my CDN 80mg oxy was a fake (a verrrrry good fake) that contained heroin. Fentanyl does make more sense and the pills made for a very short high. Incredible knockoff though!!! Weighed the exact same as a normal 80, they used the right chemical mixture for coating, the pill was hard but not rock hard. Only thing I noticed was that the stamps on either side of the pill were off by a bit.

Roughly 2 months ago, I commented in an article concerning OxyNEO about how the government is doing a great job... of basically turning oxy users to other potent kinds of opioids. I was chastised repeatedly by conservative retards in that I haven't a clue what I speak of. It's like these people are indoctrinated.

Back in 2002, the original OC 80's were going for twenty five dollars in the northeast..........then before they were taken off the market in 2010, they were seventy dollars.

qft...

i remember the first time i even tried an 80 a guy i worked with at the time was able to get 5 full bottles, like they came right out of a box from purdue pharma. this was in 2001 btw. before they changed the formula snip per mg was the going rate..totally insane.

Roughly 2 months ago, I commented in an article concerning OxyNEO about how the government is doing a great job... of basically turning oxy users to other potent kinds of opioids. I was chastised repeatedly by conservative retards in that I haven't a clue what I speak of. It's like these people are indoctrinated.

To be honest, at first I was happy to hear that there was going to be a new oxy formula. I know better now... It is strange, you could ask an 8th grader if they want to buy oxycontin and lots will say yes. Ask if they want to buy dilaudid or heroin, they will almost all say NO!

People are not at all educated about the drugs they are addicted to and are rather brainwashed. Hell, I know lots of people who will eat ecstasy pills but will not take a capsule of molly or anything to do with powdered PURE MDMA... They feel safer with a colourful blue mickey mouse pill. It's sad.
People act the same way about oxy in a lot of circles. I have met the grimey punk junkies and I have met the opposite side of the spectrum of which I like to call the "holester" or "polo" group. These are yuppie bright faced teens/early 20's surfin' and skateboarding but have raging oxy habits that they will not trade off for hydromorphone or heroin. They honestly think oxy is as bad as it needs to get for them and THAT is why oxy was marketed so heavily and so well... For those kids!

I was happy to hear that these kids were going to get cutoff and I am sure a lot are. We aren't going to hear the happy stories of kids coming clean because the old formula got taken away, but I am sure it will happen to a few... They will call it time to give up and get into a program. On the other hand, it is true that most everyone has just moved onto hydromorphone, fentanyl or in the larger cities, heroin. Fentanyl overdoses are becoming a pretty regular thing to hear about in my area and I am sure it is from bubblegummer oxy addicts being taught how to print a fent patch onto foil and smoke it or just chewing a 1/4 patch at a time :/ I know that smoking fent has really gained popularity over the last few months. I sometimes see brown fent stamped pieces of foil on the train tracks or downtown... I didn't see that 6 months ago.

Weird times.

moving onto fentanyl? why, when people have been discouraged from the matrix adhesive. isn't the progression from oxy to hydromorphone or oxymorphone the most likely? as bluelight trends exist to show.

australia will likely get on board with this sooner than later.

Well this is Canada man, we don't have any form of oxymorphone that I know of. The only Opanas I have ever heard of were smuggled from the US in exchange for weed and that wasn't even in my province!

Fent is pretty easy to get in rural areas it seems. I don't know if this is a regular thing but when my grandfather kicked it he had a SHOPPING BAG FULL of boxes of fent patches. I am talking easily 300-400 patches. Possibly more. My mother is a nurse but she isnt a high up nurse (dont know the terminology) so iI am not sure if people are often trusted with 100's of patches when their relatives are dying. If it is a regular thing in Canada, then i dont doubt it all comes from that.

To be honest, at first I was happy to hear that there was going to be a new oxy formula. I know better now... It is strange, you could ask an 8th grader if they want to buy oxycontin and lots will say yes. Ask if they want to buy dilaudid or heroin, they will almost all say NO!

People are not at all educated about the drugs they are addicted to and are rather brainwashed. Hell, I know lots of people who will eat ecstasy pills but will not take a capsule of molly or anything to do with powdered PURE MDMA... They feel safer with a colourful blue mickey mouse pill. It's sad.
People act the same way about oxy in a lot of circles. I have met the grimey punk junkies and I have met the opposite side of the spectrum of which I like to call the "holester" or "polo" group. These are yuppie bright faced teens/early 20's surfin' and skateboarding but have raging oxy habits that they will not trade off for hydromorphone or heroin. They honestly think oxy is as bad as it needs to get for them and THAT is why oxy was marketed so heavily and so well... For those kids!

I was happy to hear that these kids were going to get cutoff and I am sure a lot are. We aren't going to hear the happy stories of kids coming clean because the old formula got taken away, but I am sure it will happen to a few... They will call it time to give up and get into a program. On the other hand, it is true that most everyone has just moved onto hydromorphone, fentanyl or in the larger cities, heroin. Fentanyl overdoses are becoming a pretty regular thing to hear about in my area and I am sure it is from bubblegummer oxy addicts being taught how to print a fent patch onto foil and smoke it or just chewing a 1/4 patch at a time :/ I know that smoking fent has really gained popularity over the last few months. I sometimes see brown fent stamped pieces of foil on the train tracks or downtown... I didn't see that 6 months ago.

Weird times.

I understand what you're trying to say because - come to think of it - I too know a few individuals who think how you describe. So you do bring up a good point which I'm sure will happen in some circles.

My reasons for saying what I said is because I was one of those individuals you describe (kind of). All I wanted was oxy, whether it was percocet or OC. Granted I have studied clinical pharmacology, especially psychotropics, so I knew that Oxy was a synthetic part of a family of drugs before I first tried it. Anyways, fast forward a few years, a ton of money wasted (yes, I regret ever trying it - I should have stuck with weed and occasional mdma), many valuables pawned recklessly, relationships ruined, being arrested for some really stupid things I did to try to score a fix, a lot of days spent in withdrawal and even more craving the high - I came to a crossroads of sorts one day when I was looking to score some more OC while beginning to go into WD. I had earned some dough (pay day) because somehow I still hadn't been fired from my job yet and naturally (or unnaturally) the first thing that I wanted to do was fix. Dealer #1 disappeared and wasn't answering his phone and dealer #2 had run out of Oxy but told me he has a good amount of 4mg dillies. In the past, when opioid dependency hadn't quite taken control of me, I would have refused but now a fix meant trying to function. I didn't even care anymore, I immediately told him I'd be over to grab some. From thereon, as long as it wasn't codeine or tramadol, I'd use any opiate/opioid (including heroin) to be able to function. I still got high, but never like before. I hope that made some sense in relation to what I was trying to say about Oxy users possibly upgrading to a stronger alternative which won't turn into jello if you try to snort or mainline, ahaha.

Last edited:

Weird times.

Do I ever agree ! a friend of mine gets 40mg Oxycontin (although her last script is for OxyNeo) thinks that the 3 mg HMC I get are not worth anything.Even the dealers I have spoken to are not aware that YES they are stronger and how easy they are to abuse.I bought a pestal and mortar,this does the job quick and easy.After reading this thread I am curious if anyone knows the current price of OxyNeo's? my friend thinks she will be able to charge snip less then she did and I disagree.I would not pay that for what they are.It would be cheaper and more enjoyable to just buy H.She funds her hard addiction with those Oxys but I think those days are over.

Ive heard alot of people say that the so called abuse proof oxyneo is hardly any more abuse proof then alot of other time release opiates on the market. Also methadone has become way more popular here and so have other opiates like hydromorphone and even heroin to a much milder extent. It's led to people that would only chew up or snort oxy's to shooting up morphine or hydromorphone instead so yeah great outcome there 8)

You would think they would have at least some idea of how bad for you it could be to shoot up OxyNEO gel.

Fent is pretty easy to get in rural areas it seems. I don't know if this is a regular thing but when my grandfather kicked it he had a SHOPPING BAG FULL of boxes of fent patches. I am talking easily 300-400 patches. Possibly more. My mother is a nurse but she isnt a high up nurse (dont know the terminology) so iI am not sure if people are often trusted with 100's of patches when their relatives are dying. If it is a regular thing in Canada, then i dont doubt it all comes from that.

That is completely frustrating for me to know being as I'm nice and rural, and prescribed Fentanyl for pain as use it according to docs orders, yet cannot get a script from no one, nada. I wish I was either in your position, or perhaps if I were elderly this would be different.

In terms of OxyNeos, I found it rather interesting that in my pharmacy there is so much advertising paraphenalia regarding it, how great and safe it is, almost as we saw with OC.

So I can't help but wonder wtf for?

They want us to use them, which are STILL addictive regardless of route. Therefore people are probably still going to take too many (they aren't swallow proof obvs, also, I don't think they are bite proof either, which would affect the time release anyways, would it not? )or figure out some other tricks that still can lead patients to more dangerous drugs, needing and possibly becoming reliant on methadone, and all the other issues anyways. So really is it doing anything?

I agree with most posters in that it's just going to start different HEALTH (body, mind & spirit) problems, and not solve anything ...

But maybe our Canadian ER's need more OD's, or fentanyl injection deaths &such to keep them busy ;)