• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Traces of Marijuana Found in Trayvon Martin’s Body: Does It Matter?

Bluelight Crew
Among the voluminous evidence released Thursday in the shooting death of 17-year-old Florida high school student Trayvon Martin is a toxicology report showing that the teen had trace levels of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, in his blood and urine.

The evidence includes abundant new information: conflicting witness statements, an autopsy report showing that Martin, who was black, died from a single gunshot wound to the chest and medical records documenting that Hispanic neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, who will stand trial for second-degree murder, had a broken nose the day after Martin’s death. Yet the media is focusing on the marijuana findings.

That’s a mistake that only serves to distort an already contentious case. The levels of THC detected don’t reflect Martin’s character or even his state of mind the night he was shot. For one, they are so low as to almost certainly not be connected to recent intoxication: 1.5 nanograms of THC were found as well as 7.3 nanograms of THC-COOH, a metabolite of THC that can stay in the system for weeks after cannabis has been smoked. Immediately after inhaling, THC levels typically rise to 100 to 200 nanograms per milliter of blood, although there can be a great deal of variation.

“THC in blood or urine tells us nothing about the level of intoxication,” says Carl Hart, associate professor of psychology at Columbia University and author of the leading college textbook on drug use and behavior. “That would be like someone going to have a beer some evening, and when he goes to work the next day, you can find alcohol metabolites in his bodily fluids. That says nothing about his functioning.” (Full disclosure: Hart and I are working on a book project together).

Moreover, even if Martin had been stoned out of his mind, it wouldn’t predispose him to violence. “I have given hundreds of doses of marijuana to people in the lab, and no one has gotten violent ever and everyone has been able to respond to the situation in an appropriate manner, when given low or large doses and single or repeated doses,” Hart says.

“If people are trying to discount the acts of Zimmerman or excuse him because [Martin may have smoked] marijuana, they need to think about their own marijuana use and think about whether they ever get violent,” Hart says. “More than half the country has used marijuana and they really need to use some common sense.” The drug that has the strongest pharmacological link to violence is the legal one, alcohol.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/...-martins-body-does-it-matter-2/#ixzz1vEJ6nzmb

she fails to mention that Zimmerman was under the influence of Adderall.

^that I believe I had read he was also on Temazapam(Restoril)

Even if it was just the Adderall, which is what they should be focusing on because we all know that amphetamines, not always obviously and in everybody, but tend to make the person feel empowered, on top a the world, a badass etc.... Why isnt that being plastered all over the news? Oh yea because its fucking legal and you get it from your dr. The same dr. to whom zimmerman went to to have his "injuries" checked out after the incident. A fucking family dr he goes to?!?! Why not the ER? Urgent Care? Fishey as fuck if you ask me.

Despite what Numbers points out, it is still a good article, far less biased than most mainstream coverage.

Traces of Marijuana Found in Trayvon Martin’s Body: Does It Matter?

Of course it doesn't matter. No one deserves to be shot by anyone unless they are getting shot at by cops or similar for serious crimes (imo). Not drug related stuff.

“If people are trying to discount the acts of Zimmerman or excuse him because [Martin may have smoked] marijuana, they need to think about their own marijuana use and think about whether they ever get violent,” Hart says. “More than half the country has used marijuana and they really need to use some common sense.” The drug that has the strongest pharmacological link to violence is the legal one, alcohol.

^ Yep.

Of course it doesn't matter, lol traces of marijuana, that could have been smoked up to a month b4 he died... anyways shit like this happens each day but the media just decides to pull this one case and advertise the shit out of it... makes me wonder, what for? they never cared b4 and now all of a sudden they now care about this ONE case?? im confused, i guess thats why i never believe anything mainstream media tells me... im always skeptical they have some alternative motive.

I would say it makes no difference at all. The fact being tried was if the shooting did or did not meet the definition 2nd degree murder as per FL law. As far as goes, it is only a question of the actions of the two individuals involved, at the time of the incident. It is not a question of who did what drugs previously, ranything else they did previously.Nor is it a question of if Trayvon's actions where motivated by drugs, or the fucking position of Jupiter in its orbital path. It is only a question of WHAT he did, not why, and if whatever his actions where, justified Zimmerman in his use of lethal force.

You could be high to the stars on PCP, if you did not act violently towards someone, they are no more justified in shooting you then if you where stone cold sober. You can be sober and if you are violent, then they are. That's it.

You could be high to the stars on PCP, if you did not act violently towards someone, they are no more justified in shooting you then if you where stone cold sober. You can be sober and if you are violent, then they are. That's it.

QFT. But too bad that is not the way the mainstream media / public views things.