• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

the rise of methoxetamine . impact magazine

foolsgold

Bluelighter
It’s 4 am in the morning and the world as you know it seems to slip away into a far and distant space. All the tangible trivialities of your day-to-day life have left you behind; you have taken a stumble down the rabbit hole, and where you are about to come out is very much unknown. This is not a Lewis Carroll play, however; this is the fantastical and very much distorted world of Methoxetamine.

This new ‘legal high’ is on the rise, and the reality is that more and more of Nottingham’s students appear to be currently entering into this world. If you haven’t yet come across this new drug, it is referred to by journalists and the older generation as ‘roflcopter’, but you are much more likely to hear it referred to as ‘MKet’ ? a name which for many of you might ring a few bells with that notorious fad of ‘MKat’, but the effects of this new kid on the block contrast vastly to the soaring highs and never-ending lows of the Mephedrone days.

Essentially, it is a derivative of the popular street drug Ketamine, and produces similar dissociative and numbing effects (for those of you who are unaware of what Ketamine is, it is a white powdered form of horse tranquilizer that is now a big part of the UK drug scene).

The key difference between Ketamine and methoxetamine, apart from the fact Ketamine is currently a class C drug, is that ‘Mket’ is a much more potent version, whose effects last longer and are more pronounced upon its users. Not surprisingly, it is known to induce some strange and bizarre trips, and anecdotes of the effects of this drug make for some interesting reading.

A student at Nottingham (who wishes to remain anonymous) has tried the drug on a few occasions and reported that “time distorts on it, space is abstracted and your brain seems to figure everything out, while at the same time is unbelievably confused. My ability to do things, like move and even speak seems to go, and my body feels overwhelmingly numb”.

The inherent risk with Ketamine and Methoxetamine is that taking too much at a time will inevitably lead to the infamous ‘K’ and ‘MKet’ holes. Another anonymous source recounted a time when he entered one of these notorious ‘MKet holes’ after taking too much:

“I felt as though nothing was real and I was the only person who existed in the world, kind of a Truman Show reality. Then my mind became detached from my body and I couldn’t escape from this sinking feeling. It is very hard to describe how I was feeling in words, but I guess looking back, it kind of felt as though I was dying”.

So the question I assume you are all currently asking is, why on earth anyone would consider doing this to themselves? In fact, the reasons for the rise in Methoxetamine are quite numerous. It can be ordered over the Internet, just as Mephedrone could, and delivered to your door, no questions asked, for around £25 a gram. Despite overwhelming warnings that this chemical is not meant for your nostrils from the sites that you can buy it from, the drug is not illegal, and this must play a big role in its current rise on the scene. Also, any drug which is brought around halls of residence in the likes of Nottingham, Bristol and Leeds will invariably become widespread very fast, owing to their wild ‘everyone is doing it’ culture.

The extreme effects of the drug are rare, and although Leicestershire police have linked the drug to the deaths of a couple, there have been few reported casualties to date. A more common and comical side effect of the drug is for its users to lose control of their bowels. In an interview with NME, Ben Patashnik commented, “The St John’s Ambulance crew at Creamfields first noticed it when they found people standing upright, totally alone and zoned out, with pants full of shit”.

However, more serious health risks are not yet known, because the drug has not been tested, and no one knows what the long-term effects of using it will be. This leads to the bizarre and ironic situation, whereby it may very well be safer to do illegal drugs, such as Ketamine, for which testing has revealed much more about the health risks associated with it, while the potential harm of the legal drug, MKet, is very much an unknown and scary entity.

It is clear to me that given the powerful psychological trips it induces, MKet will never replicate the overwhelming popularity and binge culture which Mephedrone did, and still does to a lesser extent, but the drug still retains an augmenting danger. It is currently not illegal in the UK because its makers have allowed it to come out in the ‘grey market’, which is effectively the government’s blind spot on its drugs policies. By simply changing the molecular structure of ketamine slightly, and not advertising the drug for human consumption, supply of MKet in the UK has been allowed to flourish over the past few months.

It seems evident that MKet is allowed to be bought and sold with such ease, not because it’s not a dangerous drug, but because the Government is too out of touch and slow to prevent it from becoming a widespread problem. Their failure to realise and react to the situation is part of a larger battle the Government is currently having with the drugs industry and ‘legal highs’, and with the example of the rise of Methoxetamine, it is clear that the Government is currently losing the battle.

Jack Gilbert

Interesting, but I'm sure the "lose control of the bowels" business is a crock of what would be found in the alleged-victim's undergarments.

Link to original article?

only just browsed over this... but i aint lost control of my bowels but if im laid with my gf i get proper worried i might just end up shitting myself? is this just me?

sorry dnt have a direct link but its from the university of Nottingham's official student magazine

I've never pissed or shit myself on mxe...never had the urge to either nor been unable to go to the bathroom on even high doses of the stuff though I am fairly experienced with it now. I hate the media attention and am fearing the day a stateside ban comes along. Maybe something else will replace it but hopefully something nice unlike the shitty methylone/mephedrone/mdpv "replacements."

You know you're reading top-notch material when it starts out with the words "It's 4 am in the morning"...

sorry dnt have a direct link but its from the university of Nottingham's official student magazine

Jesus. That article was written by someone at one the most prestigious medical universities in the UK, if not the world!?

It's kinda sad that this chemical is receiving so much negative attention. From my understanding, it's been banned in the UK and Europe. It's still legal here in America, but will undoubtedly be banned too. Why can't people view these chemicals in a more neutral perspective. Just because people are abusing it, doesn't mean it's a bad substance. The chemical itself may end up being very beneficial. If we don't study it's effects on the body, how will we ever know it's positives and negatives?

But MXE is a "so-called legal high" and "so-called legal highs" ALL have the effects of methamphetamine, ecstasy, LSD and crack all at the same time. They ALL cause hallucinations, paranoia, heart palpitations, aggression, make you literally bounce off the walls. They are ALL extremely addictive and make the user (who are always younger than 16) fond of playing Russian Roulette. ER/A&E departments are bucking under the strain of all these juvenile, manic zombies showing up, wrecking the place and then dying. 8)

You know you're reading top-notch material when it starts out with the words "It's 4 am in the morning"...

Very nice! hahaha I love this reply. Totally true though, whoever wrote this needs to go back to school as they obviously have no idea what they are doing.

It sounds like they're literally at the point of having to make up negative side effects. People shit their pants on it? Either it's a side effect that nobody on BL has every encountered (highly unlikely), or it's complete BS made up to scare people out of using the drug.

Other than that, it's basically ketamine with a longer duration and a less pronounced sedative effect. But that doesn't make for interesting news compared to some new dangerous killer 'designer drug.'

It sounds like they're literally at the point of having to make up negative side effects. People shit their pants on it? Either it's a side effect that nobody on BL has every encountered (highly unlikely), or it's complete BS made up to scare people out of using the drug.

Other than that, it's basically ketamine with a longer duration and a less pronounced sedative effect. But that doesn't make for interesting news compared to some new dangerous killer 'designer drug.'

I recall Mixmag saying that Ketamine caused users to shit their pants when they were busy demonising it about ten years ago… sounds like they are just rehashing that scare-story.

But MXE is a "so-called legal high" and "so-called legal highs" ALL have the effects of methamphetamine, ecstasy, LSD and crack all at the same time. They ALL cause hallucinations, paranoia, heart palpitations, aggression, make you literally bounce off the walls. They are ALL extremely addictive and make the user (who are always younger than 16) fond of playing Russian Roulette. ER/A&E departments are bucking under the strain of all these juvenile, manic zombies showing up, wrecking the place and then dying. 8)

Oh, I see. So move the pure cheap compound, off the legal market, cut it to shit, add random actives and sell it on the black market to anyone of any age, for ten times the price.... Right?

Oh, I see. So move the pure cheap compound, off the legal market, cut it to shit, add random actives and sell it on the black market to anyone of any age, for ten times the price.... Right?

Exactly! Think of all the money I could make!

The only time I have heard of people shitting themselves on drugs involved a ten strip of acid and a bunch of MDMA.

People sometimes shit themselves on ayahuasca. Don't know that I've heard of it happening with any other drugs though, maybe alcohol and benzos. Definitely not any dissociatives.

gbl has made me almost shit my pants a few times, but moreso because id be too busy jerking off once the virtually inevitable bowel movement started. strangely ghb didn't have this effect nearly as pronounced. the bm part that is...i still liked to have a jack on ghb. doesn't the " shit your pants" BS about methoxetamine come from the fake roflcoptr acronym? cant remember what it stood for but i thought it had something to do with shitting your pants. but then again i think that about most things...that and having a jack. what more do you need?

i like how this article says methoxetamine is referred to by the "older crowd" as roflcoptr. Oh really. . .

I've only ever referred to it as roflcoptr just to make fun of that stupid article. I usually just call it mxe or methoxetamine. I don't get the big deal with it. I'm tired of the media acting like every new drug that comes out is a sign of the end of the world.

The only time I have heard of people shitting themselves on drugs involved a ten strip of acid and a bunch of MDMA.
I've done it after popping Tylenol, let alone no drugs at all. :\

Children need to be outlawed.. Will someone please think of the children?
I guess it all Depends.