• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

bed placement and sleep

captainballs

Bluelighter
so this is my third or fourth night of tossing and turning from 2 until 6 before deciding "screw it" and just making breakfast, and i'm starting to think outside the box.

this is a new apartment, and i have my bed in the middle of the living room (similar to an employer i.e. like a boss), and i couldnt help but notice that it made me feel so alone adrift in a sea of carpet and space.

just now, i decided to give myself some structure, and pushed the bed firmly against the wall lengthwise. already i feel better. i feel like i have more control with a "comfort wall," so to speak, and i find myself sitting still in bed.

so the point of this thread is to discuss how space around the bed/bedroom influences sleep (and how about it).

I think bed placement, and placement of one's body in/on the bed itself, is very important. I keep my bed lengthwise against the wall as well, and usually sleep on my left side facing said wall. Of course I toss and turn a bit so I rarely wake in the same position, but this position helps me get to sleep initially.
I also like to have my head pointed north, although this is just an arbitrary preference of mine and I doubt it has anything to do with how I sleep.

Last edited:
of course you want it against a wall that halves your chances of falling out

We're vulnerable to attack from wild animals when we sleep. We're safer against a wall.

Also, there have been studies that show if you're trying to sleep close to a large electrical circuit (like a large television or electrical box) it's harder for us to fall asleep.

I think mostly it's having that little small space that helps us fall asleep at night. If you don't do anything but sleep on it, then it's much easier to fall asleep and stay asleep. It makes it easier when it's in a corner so you don't have to pass by it all the time.

It's all on your comfort zone.

I feel more comfortable against a wall because that means I only have to watch my back from one side.

Certain personalities prefer different positions. Claustrophobics may not like being against a wall.

Not sure if this is what you wanted? :/

My bed must be against a wall, I wouldn't even consider putting it anywhere else. My exgirlfriend is a claustrophobic and feels the exact same way, but as she herself said, that may be due to sleeping on a couch for a year due to a terrible marriage.