• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Daily Mail - An open door to drug smugglers: Air travellers carrying cannabis let off

edgarshade

Bluelighter
By Jack Doyle

PUBLISHED: 22:48, 14 May 2012 | UPDATED: 22:48, 14 May 2012

With reader comments

• Passengers caught with small amount of drug are escaping with a warning
  • Critics fear smugglers will flock to Britain, without fear of prosecution
Air passengers caught entering Britain with cannabis in their luggage are being let off with just a ‘slap on the wrist’. Customs staff were found to have handed out nothing more than a warning to passengers arriving at Britain’s second biggest airport. Home Office officials insist that anyone caught with the illegal Class B drug in their luggage should be arrested on the spot. They can face a jail term of up to 14 years. But inspectors found that at Gatwick, where small amounts of cannabis were discovered, passengers were not even detained by officials.

Instead they were given an oral warning, had the drug confiscated and then were allowed to continue their journey. The revelations have prompted fears that cannabis laws are being widely ignored across Britain’s airports, leading to a virtual ‘open door’ situation for drug smugglers who know they have every chance of escaping any punishment even if caught.

More...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...vellers-carrying-cannabis-let-slap-wrist.html

God the daily mail makes my brain ache.

They state right there in the article that people with 'small amounts' were being let off, so how does that help smugglers? Are they getting it in a gram at a time?

I can't explain what motivates the Daily Mail jornos/editors to take such a ridiculous, nonsensical stance towards drugs without resorting to "Illuminati"-type conspiracy theories. They MUST know they are talking tripe. So why persist in doing it?

What i'm wondering is, why are they getting so pissy about a couple guys bringing a couple grams over the border - when thousands upon thousands of kilos are grown domestically...

Stop the importers! that'll make a reeeal difference! ¬_¬

I can't explain what motivates the Daily Mail jornos/editors to take such a ridiculous, nonsensical stance towards drugs without resorting to "Illuminati"-type conspiracy theories. They MUST know they are talking tripe. So why persist in doing it?

Exactly, this article is for one of two reasons:

A) To fool traveller's into thinking they can get away with smuggling small amounts of weed so the system can profit from them being caught
B) To inform the people that it is possible to smuggle small amounts of weed through customs.

Occam's Razor. It's not some conspiracy or agenda, they're just every bit as stupid, ignorant, petty and selfish as their writing makes them appear.

I don't want to believe it either, but that's life :(

Occam's Razor. It's not some conspiracy or agenda, they're just every bit as stupid, ignorant, petty and selfish as their writing makes them appear.

I don't want to believe it either, but that's life :(

Ha! I might have known, "Never ascribe to malice what can easily be explained by incompetence".

What i'm wondering is, why are they getting so pissy about a couple guys bringing a couple grams over the border - when thousands upon thousands of kilos are grown domestically...

Stop the importers! that'll make a reeeal difference! ¬_¬

yeah most of the stuff down my end is grown in the UK, usually quite well to be fair.

god forbid people smuggle in 1 gram at a time to our great cannabis free nation.