• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Florida farm workers tell how drugs, debt bind them in modern slavery

Unbreakable

Bluelighter
LeRoy Smith thought he had hit rock bottom when he found himself trolling Atlanta's gay district, looking to exchange sex acts for a hot hit off a crack pipe. Then he wound up on a Florida farm near the small town of Hastings, being bilked blind, he says, by a man with a fifth-grade education, sweating all day for a few dirty dollars, with no way to escape from the middle-of-nowhere camp.

He did not think slavery existed in modern America. He knows better now.

The recruiters had found LeRoy Smith playing chess in a park in Jacksonville on May 1, 2010. They pegged him for a black man with a back strong enough for farm work and an addiction strong enough to stick around and work for nothing. He was hooked on crack, but he had enough sense to recognize peonage when he saw it, and to slip away by night to safety.

And now he's talking. He filed a lawsuit last month in federal court against the man he says enslaved him. And he's talking to the Tampa Bay Times in hopes that publicity will cleanse Florida of indentured servitude.

The man he accuses says it's all a lie. Confronted with the allegations, Ronald Uzzle dismissed them and told a reporter to get off his property.

There's something going on in this small town and it might be hard to care because the victims are often homeless black men who live mostly in the shadows. Many have criminal records and sins in their past.

But many served in the armed forces and lived good lives before they dropped out of society and wound up in bondage.

Authorities have failed to stop a form of slavery that begins with indebtedness and sometimes doesn't end until a worker is dead.

And it continues today.

• • •

LeRoy Smith drew the blinds closed in a room at the Comfort Inn near St. Augustine, a safe place arranged by a friend who had helped him escape the camp and promised him a Greyhound ticket out of town.

Smith was nervous when he was interviewed in June 2010, but he wanted to share his story. He wanted people to know what goes on in rural Florida, what happens to the men who pick your potatoes and cabbage.

An Air Force brat, he lived around the world. As a teen, he landed in Columbia, S.C., got an economics degree at Morris College. In the early '80s he worked at a bank structuring 401(k)s.

He had met his biological father late in life. His father and his father's family were "immersed in the drug culture" and so, to fit in, Smith partook. Cocaine quickly became his single pursuit. He had been married, played competitive tennis, bought a house in the historic district in Greenville, S.C. None of that mattered anymore. He lost his $50,000 a year job as a manager of a home finance company and began touring America via the best crack houses.

"I've gone from Betty Ford to living in a Ford," he said.

He served time in prison for drug possession and had been out about a year when the white van pulled up at the park where Smith was playing chess. A friend lured him on board. He said he had heard the farm labor contractor in the driver's seat was fair and ran a clean camp in Hastings, a small town not far away.

What Smith found when he got there: "Slavery. Abuse. Overwork. Deplorable, unsanitary conditions. Drugs," he said. "The only reason there's no shackles is because now they make the people submit to the cocaine. That's what they use to basically control the people."

Specifically, he found an overcrowded bunkhouse full of elderly, drug-addicted black men and one decrepit bathroom. Before he even arrived, the man in the driver's seat had loaned each of the 15 recruits in the van $10 for a bite to eat, on the condition they pay him back with 100 percent interest.

At the bunkhouse, he said, the men formed three lines. One was for loans, also at 100 percent interest. One was to buy shots of Wild Irish Rose or grape "Mad Dog 20/20" out of an ice chest. And one was to buy crack. By the end of the first night, penniless Smith already owed $50.

Over the course of the two months Smith was at the camp, he never received a paycheck. Though he mowed and scrubbed toilets and cleaned shower stalls, he ran up $210 in debt. The thought that he was being bilked, that there was no way out until he paid his debt, angered him.

"I had no idea where we were," he said. "All there were was potato fields and asphalt roads. … You're just stuck there. This is where you reside until the season is over or until you get out."

He didn't feel as if he could go to the police. He got the impression everybody in town was connected by blood or business.

The other workers seemed content to live in the system. They had easy access to drugs and alcohol, so it didn't matter that they could never escape the debt, even if a paycheck for a 70-hour week of grading potatoes amounted to $40. Some had been there more than 10 years.

"There's no recourse, because we live on the fringes of society," he said. "I didn't believe it. I couldn't fathom it existing in modern day society."

Smith's story is corroborated by other men who have escaped. Bennie Cooks, a 57-year-old Army veteran, said he got stuck on a crew from April 2008 until he broke away in November 2009.

"They'd intimidate people," Cooks told the Times seven months after he escaped. "If you owed them money, then one guy'd say, 'You owe me money. You can't leave.' He'd threaten you."

Cooks saw a crew boss knock out a man for drinking on the job.

Cooks was recruited from a homeless shelter in Savannah, Ga. The farm labor contractor promised him work, a nice place to live and plenty of food.

"I rolled down there expecting good things to happen, but they never did," Cooks said. At a camp miles from the nearest highway, surrounded by fields, Cooks found living quarters crammed with five or six people in a small room, dirty mattresses and meals of hotdogs and grits.

"People come on these things expecting to make money," said a man named Lonnie Smith, who snuck away in 2010 after three years working to pay off his debts to a farm labor contractor. "But you leave with nothing, and sometimes worse."

Lonnie Smith, a trained chef who said he has worked at the University of North Florida and restaurants on South Beach, said he was addicted and desperate when a contractor recruited him at a mission in Jacksonville.

"It sounds pretty good when a man hasn't got a job," he said.

But he, too, was indebted before he even arrived in Hastings on a Friday night. By Monday morning, he was already $80 in the hole. Add on $75 for weekly food and rent, plus loans for snacks and alcohol during the week, plus paying a driver $5 for each ride to town to buy supplies, and a 40-hour workweek at minimum wage wasn't enough to cover his first week's costs.

"It's hard to keep up with how it goes in a circle, but no money leaves that camp," he said.

He worked three years before he made his break from what workers called "the Island." He woke at 1 a.m. and hurried to the barn by the light of the moon. He hid his work clothes and split.

"Two thousand years and this s--- ain't changed," he said, gray hair poking out from under his ball cap. "Ain't a damn thing changed from yesterday. Ain't no yesterday. Ain't no tomorrow. Hastings set way back away from everything."......

Read More: Well worth the read....
http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...rugs-debt-bind-them-in-modern-slavery/1229662

this article is no exaggeration: this shit really happens. When I worked for the homeless in Miami I helped a bunch of people that had literally been taken captive and forced to work.

I'm not entirely sure that all forms of slavery are illegal in Florida. This is a state where murder is sometimes legal, so nothing surprises me.

Wtf, do the farm people just like buy an ounce of crack and ration it out to the workers for inflated prices or what, I'm curious as to how the drugs fit into the equation, because the one line said a guy was knocked out for drinking alcohol on the job but what they are allowed to smoked crack or whatever on the job?

I got the impression they take the drugs after hours. So they work 40 hours a week of minimum wage, but spend all their free time racking up a debt from the drink and drugs supplied and never actually see the paycheck.

It's fucking disgusting, but I'm only mildly surprised that it happens, especially somewhere like Florida.

So they get paid in drugs? Sounds great. Better then robbing people or prostituting themselves.

^I don't know if the article mentions this, but the workers are not allowed to leave the farm. If they manage to slip away, there is usually nothing around them for dozens of miles.

At least it's not a frozen wilderness.

They had a choice of Crack, Booze , debt... these people should expand on the drugs they offer Opiates, Methamphetamine, Cocaine, Marijuana, Tobacco users would make some good workers I would say.

They had a choice of Crack, Booze , debt... these people should expand on the drugs they offer Opiates, Methamphetamine, Cocaine, Marijuana, Tobacco users would make some good workers I would say.

Rollers and others who work at cigar manufacturing facilities get a daily quota of cigars to smoke (used to unlimited, still might be in some places, I guess we could say it varies). Which sounds f-ing great if you ask me.