Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Father attacks shops selling 'legal highs'

edgarshade

Bluelighter
This is Cornwall

Friday, May 11, 2012

With reader comments

A father has spoken of his anguish when his son "flipped out" with serious psychosis after using a drug sold as a legal high.

The 20-year-old son from Bodmin spent six weeks in hospital and is still signed off work and receiving treatment after he turned up on his father's doorstep "ranting and raving" in October, suffering from serious delusions and paranoia.

The terrified father, who does not want the family to be identified, said he thought his son "had gone mad", but later discovered his son was snorting a product called B2, which was being sold as bath salts in a local shop. He found out a number of other teenagers had been admitted to hospital after taking the same drug, and complained to police.

An investigation has resulted in an ongoing prosecution of one Cornish shop, which is charged with selling an illegal Class B drug.

The father said: "My son went from being absolutely normal to being psychotic. To be honest I didn't know what was happening to him.

More...
http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Fat...-legal-highs/story-16052947-detail/story.html

I bet he eased his anguish by stopping off at the pub for a quick beer and a smoke... but that's perfectly ok, right?

I wonder how many people will keep using "bath salts" despite stuff like this in the news.

um....a beer and a cigarette isnt likely to cause psychosis .

Nope, just a multitude of assorted cancers, liver damage, brain damage, lung disease, cardiovascular disease, severe physical dependency... I could go on but I think you get the point.

^ I am with Crankinit here.
Drugs are drugs, and we all use them.
Getting mad at the store that sold your son drugs is missing the point.

That said, there is definitely a huge problem with a system that permits untested research chemicals to be sold on the streets and in "smart shops", but doesn't allow us to use cannabis, which has a long record of safety; alcohol and tobacco are very dangerous compared to cannabis and even to LSD, but because big companies make money on them, they are legal but other safer drugs are not. Sheer stupidity, brainwashing, propaganda, ignorance, greed, and evil take turns leading this farcical parade of illegality, but it won't last forever.

um....a beer and a cigarette isnt likely to cause psychosis .

…but quite often causes people to "flip out" and start "ranting and raving"

Having said that, I have seen someone suffering from Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome caused by alcohol abuse.

The guy should've sat his son down and discussed his use of drugs and encouraged him to seek help if he thought he had a problem, maybe even try to get him to see a counselor as well as get some hobbies. I just think the blame is misdirected here.