• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovering opiate addict and working out

deadmau

Bluelighter
Brief background on me: I used to work out a lot about 3 years ago and got pretty decent sized with a good diet, protein powder, creatine, finaplex, and oher supplements. Well 2 years ago I stopped that, became addicted to oxy and lost pretty much all my gains.

About a year into my opiate use I wanted to get back into the gym. I worked out fine but the protein shake I consumed after tore my stomach apart, I think I cried on the toilet and that was that.

Now I'm 2 weeks clean (I used suboxone to detox 4mg a day and have tapered to 1mg a day).

Yesterday went for a run and it felt amazing. I'm sore today so I'm resting but I'm gonna do some physical activity tomorrow (probably just another run). I'm very anxious to get back into the gym and taking supplements and look healthy again. (plus it will give me a hobby and keep me off opiates).

I plan on tapering off the sub very soon but my question is when can I start taking all my supplements again and some advice from those with knowledge on the subject or have came off opiates and continue to workout. I would also like to know what supplements if any are key to reenergize my body and cleanse it from all the abuse I gave it for 2 years.

try avoiding suppliments until your body recovers. try eating only fresh, organic foods, mostly raw vegetable matter. try raw, (certain ones soaked) nuts for protein intake. snowpeas, green beans, lentils, etc, are all good proteins to include. i like barley grass to get a total amino acid profile, but that may upset your stomach.

i started my bodybuilding endeavors after i quit my opiate addiction. its been a long way but i can say i find much success with eating the things im biologically adapted to eating, and avoiding most supplements. i only take rgbh free whey isolates (unflavored with no fucking synthetic vitamins ugh) when my caloric intake is reaching its ceiling.

supplements are for people who want to look pretty, but arent so concerned with the load bearing integrity that the body type offers. if you wanna be solid, just have discipline with form and posture, and avoid processed foods and supplements.

supplements are to be used when a good diet isn't enough.. The best thing you can do is work out for several years until you reach a point where a balanced diet isn't cutting it anymore, then start with the shakes and stuff.
Remember that addiction comes in many forms, you might as well be jumping from opiate addiction to gym addiction and that ain't good.
Best of lucks.

I'm still extremely uneasy about taking in nuts and high protein foods while I'm on sub, I believe I'm still constipated even though it feels like I'm going to the bathroom 10x more a day then when I was on opiates. That's why I'm trying to get off it so fast with this taper...not to sure if 1mg will constipate me but I was on 4mg a day 13 days ago and I know the suboxone half life is long so I'm thinking the pain from dropping 4 to 1 is still coming.

As far as my discussion with supplements I was kind of inquiring if any vitamins or herbs will help my body recover (have milk thistle and a multivitamin but that's all). I really don't think my body could handle a protein shake or a chicken breast.

Milk thistle helped me along quite well. High fiber foods like brocoli are bangin for digestion. As far as protein supliments, I only use egg whites in the carton(not the colored stuff with additives, just the whites). You could start out low and ramp up, but without the proper building blocks (protein/carbs) you will not make gains. I started out with 1/2 cup in the AM. Now I throw a quart in my car and gross out coworkers through the day taking swigs. I have made more gains in size and strength on 2 heavy days a week with this than I did with 3 heavy days eating like a bird.
As far as opiates, that compounds it. I was on oxys, then methadone. They definately tore my stomach up, but it did recover. I can handle protein, but be careful with creatine. I have 2 friends that can no longer take it due to digestive issues partly related to drug use.
Good luck!

Last edited:
bodybuilding didnt help me achieve happiness and i ended up using drugs again after a couple years 'addicted' to gaining size all in all it cost me a shedload of money and made me obsessed with my self image

jogging/running helped me enormously after i'd been on the treadmill flat out for 45 mins - hour i would literally feel high as a kite, pure endorphin rush so i started running first thing every morning and loved it but i must have had so many endorphins in my system i would be at work in the passenger seat in the van literally nodding off.... most content ive ever felt in my life i looked like a white version of bruce lee coz i pumped weights n bodyweight excercises etc

however because so many people think its all about size + muscle (n i was so lean + im short) i decided to go back to bodybuilding yet that led me to use drugs again because it never helped me with my depression as much as jogging did... im now clean n starting to jog again

just my advice, stay strong

In the same boat and detoxing SLOWLY off subs. Exercising is excellent for tapering off! The endorphins and other good nuerotransmitters relased in your brain while working out will minizmine the decrease youll experience from coming off opiates and overall will help uplift your mood. Eat healthy, keep healthy sugar and glucose levels to avoid crashing and burning, stick to a schedule and youll be fine.

A healthy diet is the best move you can make. Then add a multivatamin to supplement your diet so your body is healthy. I dont consider protein powder a supplement but a staple in the diet cuz you said yer trying to workout and protein is a must. Dont waste your money on creatine, NO, pre/post workout supps cuz you really dont need them.

Dont jump straight in to the workout / diet you had a coupla years ago becuase yer body isnt accustomed to that lifestyle. Start slowly and work up and honestly your lifestyle should change in a few weeks/months for the better.