• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Wrist is paralyzed, happened randomly out of nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

xburtonchic

Bluelighter
So, yesterday I laid down to take a nap, and I woke up maybe an hour and a half later and I couldn't move my right wrist or my ring and middle fingers at all. No matter how hard I tried to move them, it's like they were paralyzed. This morning when I woke up, it was a little better but like barely. I absolutely cannot figure out what this is and I'm freaking out a bit because this is my dominant hand (I"m having to type this one handed -_-), luckily I have a doctor appt. tomorrow but in the meantime I don't know what I should do to help it. I was hoping maybe someone here would have an idea of what it could be and how to alleviate some of the symptoms. Some of what's going on:

- Can bend my wrist and fingers downward (in a fist), but not back.
- Inflammation in the area and some slight stiffness
- When I put my pointer and middle finger together, then bend my thumb (think of holding a cigarette and ashing it), my hand bends to the left instead of downward... nothing I can do to stop it, it does this on it's own :(
- Numbness, but no tingling, in my thumb only

It's really freaking debilitating. It isn't painful unless I press down on the area or bend my wrist downward, however. I should note that I missed a shot (IV) in my wrist yesterday, but that was hours before my wrist went partially paralyzed. I also work on the computer basically all day for my job. Could one of those things be the cause of this?

My boyfriend thinks it's a problem with a tendon or nerve, but he's stumped too... just like everyone else... I just want to know what this is, I'm worried that it's permanent. :/

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I can help alleviate it? Thanks.

^ No one is going to be able to diagnose you over the Internet. Ride it out and make sure you keep that appointment. You shouldn't do anything to help it, in my opinion, as that may change the doctor's diagnosis.

^ No one is going to be able to diagnose you over the Internet. Ride it out and make sure you keep that appointment. You shouldn't do anything to help it, in my opinion, as that may change the doctor's diagnosis.

Oh I know... I'm not looking for a diagnosis, I know my doctor will be able to do that tomorrow... I'm just looking for some advice, or even just some possible ideas, in the rare chance anyone else has had this happen to them/has heard of it happening.

Yeah, I'm thinking leaving it alone is the best thing for it too. But at the same time, it's debilitating... like I said it's my dominant hand so it's stopping me from being able to work, to drive, make food, even just ash a freaking cigarette. And if anything I NEED to be able to at least work, so... if there's anything at all I can do to help it, I have to at least try. Google was no help so Bluelight is kind of my last chance at figuring something out at this point. :/

PM me when you have news from your doctor on it. At that point, I will reopen this. Good luck and I hope it's nothing serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.