• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids STRANGE...opiate withdrawal BLACKOUT????

ThePatient46n2

Greenlighter
This is a little long but I need to explain myself a little...Ok so a little bit about myself...I got into opiates for a year, almost everyday and used suboxone when I couldnt get anything else..the amount varied, but at the time I had stopped, I was at a good 80 mgs of oxy...OK so here's the thing..

I have been reading here on bluelight for a while and I read about using excessive amounts of Lopermide through withdrawal to ease the withdrawal symptoms. So I went out and bought a bottle of 90 Lopermide pills and went to my moms to detox (she lives far away from any place I could get opiates.) I found her stash of 2 mg Ativan and Ritalin and remembered these could also help during withdrawal. I started off with about 20 lopermide pills when I felt the withdrawals starting to hit, I also took an Ativan and a Ritalin on top of it...This part is kinda crazy, but all I remember was getting to my moms, something setting me off and going into the bathroom, taking 2 more Ativan, then I cut myself?! A this happened in the same 1st day I got there (or so I thought.) My mom sent me to the hospital and I ended up spending 8 days in the psych ward :/

I had little to no withdrawal symptoms this whole time (besides a LOT of sweating) and I was so puzzled! Once I got home and talked to my mom about what happened, she made a comment about my sleeping habits and being up all night and a zombie all day...I was like "that isn't true and how would u even know?!" (I dont live with her) She then told me I was at her house for over a WEEK!! OMG...I looked at her like mom, cut it out you're fucking with me, she gave me a look and shook her head, she then repeated to tell me "no Sara, u were at me house for over a week" I broke down crying, I didnt and still dont remember shit that week before the hospital, it's like a complete blackout, like getting trashed drunk and forgetting everything the next day, except this was over a week of time..Come to find out, my mom had over 25 Ativans missing, 10 ritalin, I was missing almost a full bottle of melatonin and over 30 Valarian Root capsules....also about 15 150mg wellbutrin pills were missing along with all of the Lopermide....WTF I dont remember taking all of that!!! It scares the shit outta me!! I guess that explains why I blacked out, but I couldnt IMAGINE being aware of taking all that cuz in my right mind I never would!! And especially cutting myself!! Something made me SNAP and Idk what my mom wouldnt tell me!

Anyways, this has really messed me up mentally cuz I just cant wrap my head around all of it....

Has this ever happened to anyone??? Btw I am now finally clean from opiates...at least something good came out of it..

the ativan most likely caused the blackout but i've never done large doses of lopermide so i'm not certain

First of all, taking that amount of loperamide can be dangerous. When you're in withdrawals take a little more than the recommended dose (an extra pill or 2, not 20!).
Second, the blackout could've been the result of the lorazepam (Ativan). Did you use it everyday before the psych ward? If you don't remember, I would think that it is highly likely that you did and you forgot the whole week as a result.
Lorazepam is a 3-hydroxy benzo and this particular group of benzos are known to be very powerful amnesiacs.

I read in this forum to take 15-20 lopermide and that it worked so I was foolish and tried it...I didnt take ativan previously on a regular basis and yes apparently I used it everyday that whole week before the hospital....My brother even told me that I walked to his house bundled up in a robe and sat on his couch and cried the whole time...watching a tv show about midgets?!? lol and my mom said I was up all hours of the night and Id eat and drink ensure shakes....yet when she talked to me I would only reply in "eeehhhhhhh" or "ughhhhh" and then just sit up and pull the blanket over my head and sit there for like an hour.....this just freaks me out...I should have been in crazy painful wuthdrawal that week! yet I was eating?! btw another thing was in the hospital I had really bad insomnia as well (most likely because of the withdrawal) yet at 115lbs I lost 11lbs in that 2 week time period....so I must not have been eating that much. I would also like to say that I am an IDIOT for doing all of this...even though I remember nothing, I made extremely poor choices.

I read in this forum to take 15-20 lopermide and that it worked so I was foolish and tried it...I didnt take ativan previously on a regular basis and yes apparently I used it everyday that whole week before the hospital....My brother even told me that I walked to his house bundled up in a robe and sat on his couch and cried the whole time...watching a tv show about midgets?!? lol and my mom said I was up all hours of the night and Id eat and drink ensure shakes....yet when she talked to me I would only reply in "eeehhhhhhh" or "ughhhhh" and then just sit up and pull the blanket over my head and sit there for like an hour.....this just freaks me out...I should have been in crazy painful wuthdrawal that week! yet I was eating?! btw another thing was in the hospital I had really bad insomnia as well (most likely because of the withdrawal) yet at 115lbs I lost 11lbs in that 2 week time period....so I must not have been eating that much. I would also like to say that I am an IDIOT for doing all of this...even though I remember nothing, I made extremely poor choices.

Lorazepam is definitely what caused the blackout, there is no doubt about it in my mind. You must be ultra-sensitive to benzos, or have no tolerance to them?

I definitely had no tolerance...and 25 2mg pills gone in a week?? WTF was I thinking?? or was I....don't remember :/

also, idk if I was taking them everyday or how much at a time...that's what scares me

I definitely had no tolerance...and 25 2mg pills gone in a week?? WTF was I thinking?? or was I....don't remember :/

also, idk if I was taking them everyday or how much at a time...that's what scares me

Yup, that's typical benzo amnesia. You basically lost a week of your life that you'll never remember.

Hey

First off sorry to hear about this. Second off everyone reacts to withdrawl differently. The ammount of immodium your taking is a little high. You should take a MAX of 8mgs at once (per 12 -24 hours idealy) but you can take less if you take a capsule full of black pepper. Black pepper helps it corss the blood brain barrier. You will get a little opiate relief.

I have a friend who had the same problem as you. You may want to consider going to a doctor if it dosen't stop...but i think once the worst passes that will pass as well.

Try to find suboxone.

Best of luck my friend! If you need anymore help feel free to message me.

if you cant find a capsule to empty take a piece of toast, coat it so it's COVERED in black pepper and have a tall glass of soda to wash it down in a timley fashion, wait 10 mins then chew up your immodium. Benedryl with it will also help with tearying, yawning, hives an d give a slight anti anxiety effect and will greatly relieve RLS and insomnia.

thank you for the tips...I'm opiate free now for a month, all of this happened around the 1st through the 8th of march...I finally crawled out of the jaws of opiates, but I know from here on out it will be an everyday battle...and yes, a week of my life LOST...scary thought

It's nice to hear after suffering through this you're doing well for yourself OP.

First of all, taking that amount of loperamide can be dangerous. When you're in withdrawals take a little more than the recommended dose (an extra pill or 2, not 20!).

Please explain why taking that much loperamide can be dangerous. Do you really think it was so dangerous for the OP, given that at the time he/she was in acute withdrawal?

Certain people (i.e. those with a high tolerance to opioids) can take over 200mg of loperamide at once (in order to get high from it), yet they can still shit normally and everything within 12-36hrs and do not seem to suffer any negative side effects. An opioid, after all, is an opioid (and loperamide is an opioid). Of course I wouldn't necessarily say 200mg of loperamide is safe, but for many the benefits of such an extremely high dose outweigh the risk involved.

The ammount of immodium your taking is a little high. You should take a MAX of 8mgs at once (per 12 -24 hours idealy) but you can take less if you take a capsule full of black pepper.

Why do you say that the MAX dose of loperamide should be 8mg at once per 12-25 hour time period?

See my reaction to what I quoted above. Furthermore, many people also find it useful to take 20-40mg of loperamide during w/d, although generally they are suffering w/d symptoms that are significantly more severe than what it sounds like the OP was experiencing.

Regardless, there is an EXTREMELY low chance the OP suffered or will suffer ANY problems related to his consumption of loperamide.

Notice that I am not saying 200mg of lope is safe, end of story. It's a lot more complex than that. But to say that the max dose you can safely take is "8mg" is patently incorrect, just as is the implication that you can only safely take 2 pills over the recommended dosage. Yes, 40mg of loperamide CAN be dangerous, but this generally goes for someone who has a low or no tolerance to opioids, not someone in the midst of acute withdrawal (of course on must take into consideration the individual's condition and medical history to really deem whether they should be abusing their lope like this, but I think you've got the point by now).

Benedryl with it will also help with tearying, yawning, hives an d give a slight anti anxiety effect and will greatly relieve RLS and insomnia.

FYI for a large number of people diphenhydramine actually makes their RLS signficantly worse, so although I also find it useful during w/d, it's kind of a two-way street.

Last edited by a moderator:
In complete agreement with you toothpaste dog-twice I tried taking benedryl doses to maybe help me get an ounce of sleep during acute withdrawal, and it ended up making the whole experience even worse for me...I was actually more awake and restless then I had been before taking it, my mind racing twice as much, legs and arms kicking double-time; and my heart rate also seemed to speed up for a couple of hours- all while I was awake in AGONY. I had also taken the recommended dose; no more.

^yup, although, as I said, diphen has always treated me well, I know of MANY people such as yourself who've learned to stay the fuck away from it when in w/d. Just wanted to mention it, and I guess your follow up post helps to legitimize me... and, ya know, as an attention grabbing whore I am always seeking the legitimization of others ;) :\

j/k... j/k

Last edited by a moderator:
when im in opiate withdrawl, i always tend to not be hydrated or eat food.many times ill get outof bed and walk, get so dizzy, ears ringing like im gonna passout, i get it alot WD from opiates,blacking out i guess is one step ahead of that, not prettty. its normal

^I think the consensus was that the benzo the OP also took at the time probably caused him to black out more than anything. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone blacking out when in withdrawal, but, to be sure, with a really nasty habit, anything can happen with cold turkey. This is one of the reasons clonidine can be so important during w/d, although if you don't take it correctly and monitor your BP you can end up blacking out that way too (taking clonidine when you have low BP).

Its true though, you make a good point. Staying hydrated and well nourished during w/d is one of the most important things you can do (I mean, even if you puke solid food up, there are still ways you can stay hydrated; if you're so far gone you can't even drink light liquid (Gatorade for instance), you are probably better off detoxing in a professional, hospital enviroment).

I also wanted to add, with the Lopermide, Im not sure if I (I'm a female lol) took a number 2, but the week after I seemed to have it kinda bad along with the sweats and insomnia. Probably could have been a little bit of leftover withdrawals, but I could have been going through minor withdrawals from the Ativan, considering I took it for a week straight at kinda high doses, considering I had no tolerance. I believe the blackout was due to the Ativan, but I was also taking Ritalin, Wellbutrin, Valarian root, and tons of melatonin on top of it...god only knows what else, my mom also has lots of 300mg Seroquel in her house...I hate how it makes me feel though, so hopefully I didn't take that either.. it's like my body and mind went on auto pilot and took whatever I could to feel better? It still freaks me out, I can't remember ANYTHING :/

OH and the funny thing about all this....when I got to the emergency room, my brother explained everything to them and they looked at him and me like I was crazy...anyway, they did a urine test and it came back negative for all drugs!! It must have been highly inaccurate lol because I remember before I cut myself I chewed up 2 more Ativan..I remember that. Let me tell you this, I have learned my lesson, never again!

There is so much going on inside you it's hard to speculate as to what is exactly the root cause(s). Don't worry about this right now. Just live you life and try to better yourself.

Checking in with the nice people over at the Dark Side is a good way to start ;)

thank you :) I'm doing soo much better now, I know it was coming off that stuff that put me in a bad and very low state of mind...I'm just happy I don't need a "fix" to feel "normal" anymore!