• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids reapplying Fentanyl gel patch, how to remove dead skin

lighthouse13

Greenlighter
I have been on fentanyl gel patch for a few months. It has been very frustrating trying to learn to work with them. I have read so many posts on so many forums about reapplying the fentanyl gel patches after they come off, but none addressing the lost in effectivness after they have already been on skin once. I put on a new patch this morning along with a tegaderm tight on my arm, all was good, but then I went out for a bit and sweat a bit, the patch had come more then half way off WITH the tegaderm covering it, I didn't even think this could happen. Anyways, everytime I have reapplied these patches after they come off (with a tegaderm) it seems that they are not nearly as effective, even with heat applied. Based on what I have read from others, the dead skin clogs the patch and they loose effectiveness.

My question is is there any way to either remove the dead skin from the bottom of a patch that has come off (on the first day, after the second day obviously this is pointless) to allow for at least close to the same effectiveness as when it was originally put on? If not is there any other way after reapplying to allow the fentanyl to pass through easier? I not only notice a loss in effectiveness I would say it's barely effective at all, like just keeping withdrawls away. This sucks because it happens every time and I am only getting meds for a day at most, less if I sweat.

Yep patches are notorious for being flimsy. As far as I know there's no way to way to get the dead skin off the patch without it being much less effective.

Maybe try using a alcohol wipe to softly loosen the debri from it. That might help but it could weaken the plastic too. I have never tried it but in theory it might work.

I don't know about removing the skin but you can always tape it back on, it just won't be as effective. Sorry, it's a big problem and so far I've never heard of any way to remove the dead skin.

I think a problem is that this dead skin has already soaked up fentanyl so when the patch rips that skin off, that fentanyl is thereby lost with it... I am completely guessing on this, but it certainly can't be helping you feel more off your patch... Sounds annoying OP, sorry!

Alcohol will likely remove the adhesive. I know that my physician always vehemently warned NOT to cleanse the area of skin where i intended to apply a new patch because the alcohol could exponentially increase the rate at which the fentanyl was delivered. I'd really avoid alcohol!