• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates and prostate cancer symptoms

Bucklecroft Rudy

Bluelighter
Ive been on opiates for 5 years: Dihydrocodeine Bupe and Pods. In the last 6 months or so i've been experiencing all the symptoms of prostate cancer to the letter. Im going to get tested and whatnot but to give me some peace of mind is this stuff normal for opiate addicts:
needing to urinate more frequently, often during the night
needing to rush to the toilet
difficulty in starting to urinate or pee (hesitancy)
straining or taking a long time while urinating
weak flow
feeling that your bladder has not emptied fully

Opiates can cause urinary retention. They do for me - with all the above symptoms and i'm female.

Get tested anyway but i'd say it's the opiates.

Although those symptoms could be cancer, they are more than likley prostatitis. I had the exact same symptoms, and I also worried it was cancer. After going to the urologist, I found out that I have chronic prostatitis and I have to take an antibiotic every day for the rest of my life. I'm not crazy about the antibiotic, but it does help with the constant urge to urinate, and the pain and burning sensation I feel at times. The interesting thing is that I also take opiates for chronic spinal pain, but I never thought that there was a connection between the two. Good luck. I hope this helps put your mind at ease.

I know I get constipation like a mother fucker taking opiates long term. I never experienced the urinating problems though. But everyone is different defiantly better safe then sorry though.

Urinary problems are very common with chronic opiate use.

Even though these symptoms may be caused by opiates, gets yourself checked out by a GP so you at least have the peace of mind.

I'd be willing to bet it's the opiates. I've been on them for the better part of 20-30 years and I've had the same problem at various times. I too, thought it might be a prostate problem but I've been checked more than a few times and although my prostate is a little bit enlarged, it's not too bad considering my age (53). Good Luck and it never hurts to get checked. Well, maybe a little when the doctor tells you to "bend over". LOL!

You guys are better than vodka cheers. Been having nightmares about soap and prisoners showers hah

I don't think I feel the need to frequently urinate, and I certainly try to get high enough every night so that I ain't waking up for ANYTHING, much less peeing, but every other symptom I have had for a long time. And like one poster said, I think you forgot the constipation :p. I really think you're ok though, still go see a doctor and make sure you're healthy though!

Urinary problems are very common with chronic opiate use.

Word up. suboxone specifically imo is the worst. it makes it literally impossible for me to piss sometimes. I went to the hospital once because I thought I had kidney stones.....this shit hurts. Definitely the least enjoyable part of opiate use (besides the whole turning into a lunatic junkie).

Last edited:
^ spot on - these problems started during bupe treatment for me. Weed exacerbates it too. Im guessing that weed amplifies that urge to pee.

My husband dealt with the same exact thing until he got off the meds for a little while. Opiates mess up other uh functions as well :/