• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Zyprexa pills getting old?

ford442

Bluelighter
Hey,
I take Zyprexa (Olanzapine) 15mg daily for maintenance of undifferentiated schizophrenia and I think that I have noticed a pattern that I receive 30 pills, finish a few < 5, start taking the fresh bottle, feel good, but then 20 - 25 days in i start getting worse i think.. shouting at invisible things, etc.. my theory is that my Zyprexa tabs get exposed to air and weaker - i do know that they have a somewhat short shelf-life.. i should find that number..

anyhow - thought i would see if this rings any bells with people and psych med prescriptions? and then i will check in here 1 - 2 - 3 weeks from now when this bottle ages further.. i am only on like week 2 and i feel worse for some reason..

on a side note - i really want to give CBD therapy a try - let me know if you have any knowledge about CBD and schizophrenia please!

I highly doubt your tablets are becoming weaker, or that your bottle is "aging". You should ask your prescribing doctor about this.

Even with a short shelf life there is no way that a medication would be affected in as little as 30 days.

I highly doubt your tablets are becoming weaker, or that your bottle is "aging". You should ask your prescribing doctor about this.

Even with a short shelf life there is no way that a medication would be affected in as little as 30 days.

Yeah d00d you just need to chillll outttttt.

things seem worse.. i have nightly sessions of screaming to myself..

will check in again when the next bottle arrives..

You should tell your doctor! Maybe you need to adjust or change your medication.

Yeah you definitely need to discuss this with your doctor and not BL.

I very much doubt it's degraded... I've taken pills which are 15-20 years old and they worked perfectly.

i have zyprexa pills from a year and a half ago (extras) and i know they still work because i ran out before my new pills came in from eli lilly and had to use them for a week or so and i was fine. i take 20mg/night

Pills don't degrade. They may lose effectiveness or potency over time but your theory is irrational.

Get off them and try a new med, talk to your doctor about it. It seems as if you symptoms are getting worse.

The only other thing I could think of is that you aren't schizophrenic and the medicine makes you become manic/schizophrenic.

But don't get off it on your own, make sure your doctor is involved in that process.

I echo everything everyone has said, plus the fact that they weren't manufactured right before they were sold to you either, they spent some time on the shelves at your pharmacy, so I believe the medication is not completely effective at treating your psychosis.

well,
here i am with 2 days of fresh meds and things seem significantly better.. no more shouting at myself.. sleeping better..
i will continue to monitor this - my doctor is aware that i have episodes of feeling bad - my meds have been adjusted multiple times..
but, if in exactly 2 weeks i am freaking out and delusional again every 30 day cycle them i will be convinced of my theory and maybe i can get a 15 pill refill..

one thing - my pills come with an airtight seal - is that for no reason? i break the seal and they start to age no?

I'm glad that you're feeling better. Pills do not start to age when you break the seal, they've been aging ever since they were made, and this will not affect their potency. They come sealed because it's the law.

You can certainly ask your doctor to do refills every 2 weeks, I've done that before. Although this won't give you "newer" pills.

What medication did you switch to?

CBD is an amazing medication.

Drugs like zyprexa are not. If a single month's prescription doesn't work for you, you need to tell your doctor.

^ drugs like Zyprexa have saved my life

And I'm glad for that HOOD.

But for every one of you, there are more whose lives have been fucked by it. The psychiatrists today are typically clueless about these things.

Have you ever seen what a brainless baby looks like?

i started on Zyprexa - went to Abilify - back to Zyprexa - 20mg and now 15mg at my request..

zyprexa has been a miracle for me.. it would be amazing if CBD can replace these though..

I went Thorazine --> Haloperidol --> Nothing but cannabinoids.

Let's just say, there's a reason pregnant women aren't supposed to take Zyprexa.

What does that say for the brain that's on the drug? I wouldn't like to find out the hard way.

Those are qualitatively different processes.

Most people who get put on Zyprexa who I've known of (I'm in a counseling field) have psychological symptoms that are extremely disabling, if not life-threatening. The drug certainly saved my life, and many others have said the same. Yeah, it's got extremely nasty side effects that doctors should go over more thoroughly with patients, but so do HIV drugs. Serious drugs for serious illnesses... that's how it goes.