• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids on MMT 120mg/day, effects of 33% dosage decrease?

waldo777

Bluelighter
I'm on 120mg methadone, just upped from 110 a few days ago. I took 40mgs out of my takehome and took it this evening ontop of my usual 120mgs, leaving me with 80mgs for tomorrow. In anyones experience, Will I notice a difference tomorrow at that dose? If yes, is there any way to potentiate methadone? I've read mixed reports about WGF and tagamet for methadone potentiation, some clarity would greatly be appreciateted thanks!

I imagine with the amount of methadone that has built up in your system as well as the extra 40mg you took today you won't feel much if any discomfort if you just take 80mg tomorrow.

Methadone has a half-life of 24-48 hours apparently.
If you want to potentiate I suggest looking into any of the first-generation sedating anti-histamines like prometazine, diphenhydramine, hydroxyzine, cyclizine etc. At least one of these should be available OTC in your country. Cyclizine would be the most desirable to mix with methadone. You won't need much.

How does an anti-histamine potentiate methadone? Does it simply add to the sedation, or does it actually effect the way methadone is metabolized? And btw thanks for the help!

Tagamet aka cimetidine is well known for its interaction with the enzyme used to metabolize methadone, resulting in increased blood serum levels of methadone. I would rather just take a tagamet pill instead of drinking a bunch of white grapefruit juice, so that is my choice when I potentiate opiates. I don't think that you will really feel the decreased dose for a day, but if you are worried you should have some tagamet on hand.

Considering its already long half-life, and that you will still be taking a dose of the drug even though it's lower, and that you will return to your normal dose a day later, you will be fine. Tapering down (I know you are not tapering, but instead just taking a lower dose once) is a lot easier at higher doses since you will still have a high dose of the drug in your system. It's when you get to the lower doses that it becomes more of an issue.

How does an anti-histamine potentiate methadone? Does it simply add to the sedation, or does it actually effect the way methadone is metabolized? And btw thanks for the help!

I'm not sure of the mechanics, but from my own experience I take 60mg methadone/day and 100mg methadone + 2 or 3 x 25mg promethazine tablets had me nodding, where as 100mg methadone alone wouldn't feel much different from 60mg.

I think it just adds to the sedation but it may affect the way its metabolized as well.

I'm on 120mg methadone, just upped from 110 a few days ago. I took 40mgs out of my takehome and took it this evening ontop of my usual 120mgs, leaving me with 80mgs for tomorrow. In anyones experience, Will I notice a difference tomorrow at that dose? If yes, is there any way to potentiate methadone? I've read mixed reports about WGF and tagamet for methadone potentiation, some clarity would greatly be appreciateted thanks!

Word of advice is to cut that the fuck out now. Seen to many people at the clinic chasing the high. Before you know it they end up double dosing to get a nod or whatever the fuck they are chasing. Stop making it harder for the rest of us at the clinic. Take it as directed. Your on it for a reason.

Honestly I tried a few times to get high on methadone.. like I would use H for one day and not use the methadone, and even if I doubled up on my 80mg dose it didn;t do jack shit besides maybe make me tired.. IMO its completely pointless. Methadone is actually a decent maintanence drug. People think MMT people are like zombies but even though it's a full agonist it reall ydoesn't get you high like dope does. It's the people who combine benzos with their methadone that are the zombies. I know when i would do that I would be like falling asleep all the time.. not even a good like nodding out.. just so damn sleepy..totally pointless. My clinic allowed benzos if you had a script, but I can see why a lot of clinics don't allow t hem. It's really counter productive to be getting high as a kite when you are in a program trying to get clean amd straighten up your life.

In your situation, I don;'t think you will notice a difference being that methadone has a very long half-life. I will say that you should really refrain from doing shit like that.. it's kind of pointless and you are going to fuck your self if you are chasing a high. IMO there is no point to be going up on a methadone dose.
That is how you get your self in DEEP. Honestly if you stabalize for a few months at like 40mg methadone you will be getting higher when you dose than someone on 140mg methadone with half the side effects. When my friend told me they were on 140mg I was like holy fuck but in 1 year they got down to 40 and said they experienced zero withdrawals doing that. Props to her. I was on 80mg my self and I got scared b/.c I felt like I got handcuffedd tot he clinic. Being dependant on that high of a dose of opiates is fucking bad.. like what if we got bombed or some shit lol what do you do if the clinic gets blown up and your broke and you can;'t buy dope and shit.

I cant even imagine.. like some place where theres tornadoes, the whole town gets turned upside down, your dealers supply gets wet and flies away, your just FUCKCED. Honetsly generally speaking opiate withdrawal wont kill you even though you feel like total death, but if you are on a big enough dose of methadone I think it can be a fatal withdrawal. I personally dont see wyh anyone needs to be on such of a high dose.. once you are on 80mg its basically almost a blocking dose (even though meth doesnt technically block like bu pe). If you are going higher and higher It hink you are just chasing that high. Well what goes up must come down..unless you plan to do this shit for life like many do, and be walking in the clinic with a cane with your grandson by your seide becuase you are blind and still dosing methadone lol

Yeah 120mg is overkill IMO. Im on 60mg and it holds me fine. I still think I could be on less. I'd be happy at a dose of around 20-30mg.

Think about it this way; if you equate 120mg methadone to a similar dose of oxycontin (someone help me out with that) it will be a very large dose, but with the methadone you're not even getting high. It's just majorly fucking up your tolerance!

When I was on MMT I did stuff like this a lot, and looking back, it was never worth it. I wouldn't achieve any euphoria, I'd just increase my chance of getting respiratory failure.

That being said, you shouldn't feel much if it's just one day. It honestly took me 48hours without ANY methadone to start feeling withdrawals, but I think I'm unusual that way (especially since I have a fast metabolism, just doesn't make much sense).

Honestly I tried a few times to get high on methadone.. like I would use H for one day and not use the methadone, and even if I doubled up on my 80mg dose it didn;t do jack shit besides maybe make me tired.. IMO its completely pointless. Methadone is actually a decent maintanence drug. People think MMT people are like zombies but even though it's a full agonist it reall ydoesn't get you high like dope does. It's the people who combine benzos with their methadone that are the zombies. I know when i would do that I would be like falling asleep all the time.. not even a good like nodding out.. just so damn sleepy..totally pointless. My clinic allowed benzos if you had a script, but I can see why a lot of clinics don't allow t hem. It's really counter productive to be getting high as a kite when you are in a program trying to get clean amd straighten up your life.

In your situation, I don;'t think you will notice a difference being that methadone has a very long half-life. I will say that you should really refrain from doing shit like that.. it's kind of pointless and you are going to fuck your self if you are chasing a high. IMO there is no point to be going up on a methadone dose.
That is how you get your self in DEEP. Honestly if you stabalize for a few months at like 40mg methadone you will be getting higher when you dose than someone on 140mg methadone with half the side effects. When my friend told me they were on 140mg I was like holy fuck but in 1 year they got down to 40 and said they experienced zero withdrawals doing that. Props to her. I was on 80mg my self and I got scared b/.c I felt like I got handcuffedd tot he clinic. Being dependant on that high of a dose of opiates is fucking bad.. like what if we got bombed or some shit lol what do you do if the clinic gets blown up and your broke and you can;'t buy dope and shit.

I cant even imagine.. like some place where theres tornadoes, the whole town gets turned upside down, your dealers supply gets wet and flies away, your just FUCKCED. Honetsly generally speaking opiate withdrawal wont kill you even though you feel like total death, but if you are on a big enough dose of methadone I think it can be a fatal withdrawal. I personally dont see wyh anyone needs to be on such of a high dose.. once you are on 80mg its basically almost a blocking dose (even though meth doesnt technically block like bu pe). If you are going higher and higher It hink you are just chasing that high. Well what goes up must come down..unless you plan to do this shit for life like many do, and be walking in the clinic with a cane with your grandson by your seide becuase you are blind and still dosing methadone lol
Dude stfu seriously. Maybe for a non dependent idiot who wants to take benzos to be a zombie but those of us who use are medicine as prescribed are not fucking zombies. Stupid comment. I take Xanax and Methadone. Im not asleep all the time. The lazy part is you not a fucking pill. I hate comments as dumb as this. 120mgs is retarded. I was on 115 it was stupid. On another note Im going to taper down to 90 tomorrow. Please think about other people who take benzos on mmt prescribed and are just as Fucking Annnnoyed with stupid fucking asshole junkies like you pill free ones are.

And yea poster quit ruining it for everyone or go slam some dope ...one or the other mmt isnt for buzzes. Go back to the block or wake up......youre the most Annoying of all junkies on mmt and because of pwople Like you theres the whole attendance BULLSHIT. Look it up. Grow up.

Just my input...

Dude stfu seriously. Maybe for a non dependent idiot who wants to take benzos to be a zombie but those of us who use are medicine as prescribed are not fucking zombies. Stupid comment. I take Xanax and Methadone. Im not asleep all the time. The lazy part is you not a fucking pill. I hate comments as dumb as this. 120mgs is retarded. I was on 115 it was stupid. On another note Im going to taper down to 90 tomorrow. Please think about other people who take benzos on mmt prescribed and are just as Fucking Annnnoyed with stupid fucking asshole junkies like you pill free ones are.

And yea poster quit ruining it for everyone or go slam some dope ...one or the other mmt isnt for buzzes. Go back to the block or wake up......youre the most Annoying of all junkies on mmt and because of pwople Like you theres the whole attendance BULLSHIT. Look it up. Grow up.

Hey... I can see why you took offense to ms4104 being judgmental but you're being kind of hypocritical attacking him like that. I think it can be more offensive when you attack someone on a personal level like that =/. I'm just saying if you respond with something more like: "Hey, just so you know, I'm on benzos and MMT because I function better with it. I don't feel like I'm walking around like a zombie.", I think you would be more likely to get your point across. When you attack someone like that I think maybe the readers emotions could get in the way of them actually seeing where you're coming from and broadening their understanding, and isn't that what an argument is all about? I'm just sayin, relax =)

...and ms4104, when you say that taking benzos while on MMT is "totally pointless", I can see how someone with anxiety issues, that lives a much better life on them, could take offense to that. I have problems with GAD and I also have panic/anxiety attacks from time to time. I'm not on any anti-anxiety medication because opiates already help enough with that, but that's just ME! When my anxiety is too overwhelming or I just need a break I take some benzos and it helps immensely for anxiety.

Last edited:
MS4104 does have a point though. Methadone maintenance really does get its bad reputation not because of methadone, but because the people that take it are/were DRUG ADDICTS!

So of course whenever you have a large group of people that did/do take drugs come together, then yeah, you'll see amputee's, canes, missing teeth, obesity, anorexia, you name it. Alot of opiate addicts are poly substance abusers, and a lot of people (at least that I know on MMT) don't use dope anymore, they just shoot/smoke crack and take pills-THIS is what makes them look decrepit. I've also met people that did use methadone as a way to clean there life up, and they didnt look any different than anyone else, granted that they were stabalized on their dosage. However, I believe that even these people who smoke crack and drop 4-bars STILL deserve their dose of methadone, as MMT has made these people's lives a little more stable.

All that being said, don't fuck around with your dose, the high isn't worth fucking up your tolerance, or worth even worrying about fucking up your tolerance.

methadone has avery long half life... when i was on &éàmg methadone/day i could go 36 hours without feeling any w/d, i don't think youll feel any difference

MS4104 does have a point though. Methadone maintenance really does get its bad reputation not because of methadone, but because the people that take it are/were DRUG ADDICTS!

So of course whenever you have a large group of people that did/do take drugs come together, then yeah, you'll see amputee's, canes, missing teeth, obesity, anorexia, you name it. Alot of opiate addicts are poly substance abusers, and a lot of people (at least that I know on MMT) don't use dope anymore, they just shoot/smoke crack and take pills-THIS is what makes them look decrepit. I've also met people that did use methadone as a way to clean there life up, and they didnt look any different than anyone else, granted that they were stabalized on their dosage. However, I believe that even these people who smoke crack and drop 4-bars STILL deserve their dose of methadone, as MMT has made these people's lives a little more stable.

All that being said, don't fuck around with your dose, the high isn't worth fucking up your tolerance, or worth even worrying about fucking up your tolerance.

"It's the people who combine benzos with their methadone that are the zombies. I know when i would do that I would be like falling asleep all the time.. not even a good like nodding out.. just so damn sleepy..totally pointless."

I do agree with a lot of the points, it's just THIS part seems a little insensitive to people that DO need benzos, that's all.

Yeah, I agree, some people do need them legitimately, and it works out fine.

The funny thing is that the people at the methadone clinic's around me, all join together and find exactly which doctor will prescribe the 2mg bars right away. So there are tons of people who DON'T need benzo's but have legitimate scripts for them. I even know guys that are prescribed at their clinic 2mg alprazolam, 1mg clonazepam and then some provigil ( or even desoxyn!) to keep them conscious.

But, yeah I do agree with you, and I apologize for steering this off topic.

Yea, it would make sense that there's less people that truly need them than people that are just looking to be fucked up at a methadone clinic. No offense to MMT, I like the idea, I hear it can completely turn someones life around.