• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Why do some people find Xanax recreational?

Journey

Greenlighter
Was recently prescribed Xanax(alprazolam). A supply of 60 .5mg's .

I've heard the first few times you take it, it'll just make you mellow and sleepy. It did that indeed, but not much.

Today I took 2mg's and didn't feel anything and thats in the range of a recreational safe dose. I Never have felt anything recreational from xanax or any other benzo..If anything it just make's anxiety go away but not even to a point that its noticeable. No euphoria, nothing.

Is it just me- I know drugs affect people differently, or is the whole Xanax thing just placebo... I mean yeah its great if you wanna take a decent dose and get a good nights rest..or for withdrawls...:\ but I dont see any recreational in it what so ever..

Can somebody feed me in on some thoughts?

Are you taking any other meds? Ive never heard of anyone taking 2mgs and not getting pretty buzzed. I guess the only other explanation is you are just different, if that makes sense. I know for me, xanax is euphoric for an hour or so, then I go to sleep.

I've been taking Gabapentin Daily... But I've read that they do not counteract eachother or cancel eachother out...

Maybe they do..lol

Yeah, I agree. It's more of a TOOL. Not even going to attempt to get a buzz off them again. I'll save them for when I need them (for presentations, high anxiety situations, meeting my girlfriends family LOL etc.) I was just hoping I could occasionally get a nice buzz off them. oh well.

Alprazolam is better for real panic/anxiety and not recreational drug use.

I agree now that I've tried it a few times... And it's nice to see you again Captain.Heroin! Might not remember me, I haven't been on here in months!!

'Cause I got shit in my life that bothers me and its a cheap escape.

Honestly, they're best mixed with other things if you're looking for the "buzz". Fun background substance, fun "zone out" and do nothing substance, easy to "abort" on (just go to sleep).

They are fun with opiates, but not something I suggest anyone do (nearly killed me). Same goes for liquor (unsafe), and pot (don't see any issues here). By themselves they're just useful to kill panic attacks, abort bad trips, passing out, and losing a day. I'm an adult and I still find them fun on their own, but I agree its an acquired taste. You have to really know how a benzo is going to hit you to stay within the "having fun but not forgetting the night" range of dosage. Even I over shoot it sometimes, but so far no harm done.

I find that you enjoy them more when you're not using them daily by the way. I started with a prescription myself and just never really took them (they were for sleep). Once I figured out there was some magic in the bottle I'd have fun with them on weekends. Now I only do them when there is nothing else or I'm combining it with something.

'Cause I got shit in my life that bothers me and its a cheap escape.

Honestly, they're best mixed with other things if you're looking for the "buzz". Fun background substance, fun "zone out" and do nothing substance, easy to "abort" on (just go to sleep).

They are fun with opiates, but not something I suggest anyone do (nearly killed me). Same goes for liquor (unsafe), and pot (don't see any issues here). By themselves they're just useful to kill panic attacks, abort bad trips, passing out, and losing a day. I'm an adult and I still find them fun on their own, but I agree its an acquired taste. You have to really know how a benzo is going to hit you to stay within the "having fun but not forgetting the night" range of dosage. Even I over shoot it sometimes, but so far no harm done.

I find that you enjoy them more when you're not using them daily by the way. I started with a prescription myself and just never really took them (they were for sleep). Once I figured out there was some magic in the bottle I'd have fun with them on weekends. Now I only do them when there is nothing else or I'm combining it with something.

Unfortunally I dont find them recreational by themselves, and Xanax isn't a drug to mix with other drugs/substances thats just asking for a lethal cocktail. So I'll stick taking it as directed lol.

I honestly took it about 20 times before I found it to have recreational use.

I don't really care for the buzz much though. When I start to feel good there always seems to be the temptation to take more, except taking too much benzo's is not fun. I end up feeling really fuzzy and really stupid. Plus, conversing with someone while on benzo's is not fun at all for the person who is not on benzo's. Usually because whoever is on them ends up saying the same shit over and over.

It is pretty nice once in a while when I got a certain type of stress or anxiety going on, but I find exercise or other ways are usually better for that. They're really useful with getting off opiate WDs.

I don't find them that great for sleep either. I might be able to fall alseep, but the sleep is going to be crappy and I'm going to be tired when I wake up.

Unfortunally I dont find them recreational by themselves, and Xanax isn't a drug to mix with other drugs/substances thats just asking for a lethal cocktail. So I'll stick taking it as directed lol.

I didn't say it was smart, but you asked. ;) I'm not the only one around here that does stupid shit like this. I'll stress again that out of what I listed using them with opiates/alcohol is asking for trouble/OD if it makes you feel better. ;)

They're fun on their own...sometimes. Just depends on the day I suppose. I find it feels similar to slamming a six pack by myself or a few shots of whiskey. Its just a drug people take when they want to get "shit faced", nothing more nothing less. That's the appeal of it to certain people.

Plus, there are many people out there that probably should be on a benzo but aren't prescribed them for whatever reason. Obviously it will make such people feel "good".

I didn't say it was smart, but you asked. ;) I'm not the only one around here that does stupid shit like this. I'll stress again that out of what I listed using them with opiates/alcohol is asking for trouble/OD if it makes you feel better. ;)

They're fun on their own...sometimes. Just depends on the day I suppose. I find it feels similar to slamming a six pack by myself or a few shots of whiskey. Its just a drug people take when they want to get "shit faced", nothing more nothing less. That's the appeal of it to certain people.

Plus, there are many people out there that probably should be on a benzo but aren't prescribed them for whatever reason. Obviously it will make such people feel "good".

I agree, I believe theres a lot of people out there that truely can benefit from a benzo.

It depends, I find it to be recreational. I think of benzos as similar to alcohol. I mean they work on the same neurotransmitter (GABA). I've been stressed lately with school, work, and friends, so just having relief from that stress is almost recreational in itself. I mean, I feel like the high is being able to not give a fuck about all the problems you got in life for those few hours. Just depends on how you look at it I guess.

Yeah I don't think many people find them to be recreational at all.. They are good for helping with sleep or anxiety or withdrawals. I guess they are recreational if you compare it to bupe.

Xanax is a bit strong for me, if thats possible.......I prefer Ativan for anxiety & to mix with a vicodin. Then again, my anxiety isnt as high as others using Xanax every day.

Alprazolam is better for real panic/anxiety and not recreational drug use.

Totally agree!!

It's not recreational at all. I get it prescribed for anxiety and take 1 mg 3x/day. I sometimes take much more than prescribed and get no buzz or any kind of high. I just get tired and yawn a lot.
I mean its no temazepam or nitrazepam or triazolam, but I guess its better than nothing at all.

It relieves my anxiety and that's what's important. For a nice benzo high, I seek out temazepam mostly. If I can get some nitrazepams from my Canadian buddies than I use those too. Otherwise, in the US its temazepam, triazolam, or diazepam for me.

It's great for potheads wanting to just chill and get high instead of having one of those hyper highs, you can just chill and smoke till you get all sloppy then crash

Today I didn't even take any of my prescribed Xanax.. I decided to just take my daily dose of Gabapentin.. Gabapentin produces a happy/nothing can bother me type of feeling. I love it. way better than Xanax IMO. But that's probably because I dont have severe anxiety like some people who take Xanax.
Plus Gabapentin gives me load of confidence its almost like a feeling of taking a shot of whiskey with a dose of testostrone lol.