• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Reaction from MS Contin??

taylor_105

Bluelighter
Hey all,

My doc has me on the MS Contin 60 mg. every 12 hours. I started it a week ago. During this time I have enjoyed that the drug actually takes my pain level down to tolerable but I have been having an issue that I wonder if any of you have ever seen or know what it is. About an hour after I take the pill my face gets beet red. And then I start sweating from every pore in my face. Is this an allergic reaction? When it happens I do not feel sick or even over-heated. I can feel the heat and redness crawling into my face and then of course feel the pores opening and water beads coming out. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I really do not want to quit taking it as it helps with my pain but if this is a bad reaction then I don't want to risk my health. Other times my face gets really pale and clammy. Any opinions or experiences?

It is pretty common to experience more of these type of side effects especially since you've been on it for about a week. These will diminish with time, but Opiates commonly caused your face to be flushed, and sweating more than usual is another side effect of many opiate users, morphine included.

You should of course tell your doctor, and then see if it's a good idea or okayed by your doctor, try either getting some prescribed (hydroxyzine, etc.) , or over the counter antihistimines like benedryl (diphenhydramine) meclizine (old school dramamine if I'm correct). These help with a lot of the side effects nausea, itching, flushing, etc. I also recommend a doctor approved NSAID.

diphenhydramine also increases the effects of opiates so watch out lol.

I always take some when I do it , I dont notice a huge difference.. but none the less it is a potentiator

I notice my face gets a little red when taking Morphine but nothing like yours with the pores opening & sweating. Everyone has different reactions to pain meds but I would definitely ask your doctor about it.

Yea I'd ask your doctor.

My friend just went on these to (post-op) so I'll ask him if he's noticing anything symptoms like this for you. I doubt he'll have noticed them though, he's just had surgery on his leg/hip bones and I'm sure he's reaching for anything to kill the pain right now. I know he's already been double dipping on those roxi's they gave him for break through pain.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I do remember that long ago I got IV Morphine in a hospital and they pushed it too fast and this red heat started on my chest and creeped up my neck to my face and scared the hell out of my roommate and they came in and pushed Benedryl. I will be sad if I am allergic to these because they are working for the pain. If I am allergic it is no more than redness and sweating. That goes away too after awhile.

Morphine is notorious for its histamine release. It is possibly the opiate that allows for most histamine release out of all of the opiates. That sounds like what it is. If you were severly allergic, you would have had trouble breathing.

Morphine is notorious for its histamine release. It is possibly the opiate that allows for most histamine release out of all of the opiates. That sounds like what it is. If you were severly allergic, you would have had trouble breathing.[/QUOTE

I am breathing just fine..so I am going to stick with it as long as it covers my pain.

Morphine is notorious for its histamine release. It is possibly the opiate that allows for most histamine release out of all of the opiates. That sounds like what it is. If you were severly allergic, you would have had trouble breathing.[/QUOTE

I am breathing just fine..so I am going to stick with it as long as it covers my pain.

It is not an unusual reaction. Morphine is is somewhat noted for being one of the more histamine releasing opiates. Tell your Dr about it and how you are tolerating it In the mean time, an antihistamine will likely provide some reduction in the flushing and sweating.

Agreed with everyone that said morphine is notorious for histamine reactions.