• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Doctor Gets Sentenced To 4 Life terms For Running A Pill Mill

TheLostBoys

Bluelighter
A doctor out of Chicago who was responsible for distributing more oxycodone between 2003 and 2005 than any other doctor in the nation was sentenced Tuesday to four life terms in prison for his role in four overdose deaths. This sentence represents what can be called a major victory for opponents of the abuse of prescription pain medication.

Prosecuting Assistant U.S. Attorneys said that Dr. Paul Volkman’s actions “created and prolonged debilitating addictions; distributed countless drugs to be sold on the street; and took the lives of numerous individuals who died just days after visiting him,". There were 8 additional overdoses that Dr. Volman was believed to be responsible for, but there wasn’t enough evidence to convict him in those deaths.

Doctor’s like Volkman who operate cash businesses in a fee for visit/prescription scenario, who don’t offer any real treatment, diagnosis or alternative to the pain medication they are doling out should be put on notice that there is severe punishment awaiting them if they continue with their practices.

story continued in the link: http://www.examiner.com/addictions-in-pittsburgh/pittsburgh-pill-mills-beware

good, he deserves it.

edit: where can i find the list of doctors who are prescribing ridiculous amounts of oxycodone?

ADoctor’s like Volkman who operate cash businesses in a fee for visit/prescription scenario, who don’t offer any real treatment, diagnosis or alternative to the pain medication they are doling out should be put on notice that there is severe punishment awaiting them if they continue with their practices.

story continued in the link: http://www.examiner.com/addictions-in-pittsburgh/pittsburgh-pill-mills-beware

What he just said was if you prescribe opiates for chronic pain we are going to try and charge you with something. If karma is real the goverment employees involved in this will all end up in chronic pain and unable to get treatment because doctors are terrified of treating them.

good, he deserves it.

edit: where can i find the list of doctors who are prescribing ridiculous amounts of oxycodone?

Memphis, it seems you have a hard on with cases like these. Ive seen you talk against doctors who over prescribe. I can see having a certain number doctors can prescribe in a month depending on how many patients they see. 30 pills to patient ratio but you shouldnt like seeing doctors going to jail for doing their job.

Seeing cases like these only solidifies the fact that our rights in the USA are slipping away & within months or a few years, they will be totally gone, thanks to big brother.

^ I just hate having to go pay a ridiculous amount IMO to some ghetto dealer in 'da hood' lol,

I got legit pain and it's hard to find a decent doc these days. some of them prescribe ridiculous amounts of drugs clearly to be sold again lol.

^ I just hate having to go pay a ridiculous amount IMO to some ghetto dealer in 'da hood' lol,

I got legit pain and it's hard to find a decent doc these days. some of them prescribe ridiculous amounts of drugs clearly to be sold again lol.

I have legit pain as well & get decent meds but have a friend that is in less pain than me & can get whatever he wants. I wish I could but I will stick with my doctor, hes really cool.

Poor bastard. I dont care how many pills he prescribed, these people chose to eat, snort, shoot them, the same way others seek out alcohol, and a few of them died. Its sad but hey it happens. Its the price we pay to play the game. Sure he was only in it for the money more than likely but what I want to seen in the headlines is this: Miller Beer Company TOP Distributor sentenced to 100,000s of life sentences due to their overmarketing, overselling alcohol which causedthe deaths of 1000s&1000s of people VIA car accidents, assaults, rapes, robberies, bar fights an the list goes on and on. What a fucking joke this is.:|

Poor bastard. I dont care how many pills he prescribed, these people chose to eat, snort, shoot them, the same way others seek out alcohol, and a few of them died. Its sad but hey it happens. Its the price we pay to play the game. Sure he was only in it for the money more than likely but what I want to seen in the headlines is this: Miller Beer Company TOP Distributor sentenced to 100,000s of life sentences due to their overmarketing, overselling alcohol which causedthe deaths of 1000s&1000s of people VIA car accidents, assaults, rapes, robberies, bar fights an the list goes on and on. What a fucking joke this is.:|

^^^^^^^^^^

I could not have said it better myself! This is what I try to get across to people every day...........

^ trying to get across this to the average person is like trying to argue with a mute/deaf/dumb person. They just dont get it and its so sad. god bless fucking America...

They should remove liability in prescriptions by having everything OTC IMO. If you are 16-17-18-21 etc you should be responsible if you ingest drugs.

Memphis, it seems you have a hard on with cases like these. Ive seen you talk against doctors who over prescribe. I can see having a certain number doctors can prescribe in a month depending on how many patients they see. 30 pills to patient ratio but you shouldnt like seeing doctors going to jail for doing their job.

Seeing cases like these only solidifies the fact that our rights in the USA are slipping away & within months or a few years, they will be totally gone, thanks to big brother.

Lol ok.

He beat out EVERY Florida doctor TWO YEARS IN A ROW, he ran an ALL CASH BUSINESS if it walks like a duck...

There is a huge difference between a doctor and a man prescribing massive amounts of narcotics to addicts for gigantic financial CASH gain under the guise of having a PhD.

And he can play dumb all he wants but you are just morally corrupt or bankrupt if you are in such a position and use it to exploit a vulnerable group of people for financial gain. Call me crazy but I think that's wrong.

Lol ok.

And he can play dumb all he wants but you are just morally corrupt or bankrupt if you are in such a position and use it to exploit a vulnerable group of people for financial gain. Call me crazy but I think that's wrong.

Morally corrupt and bankrupt? Maybe he just realized that the drug war is a farce and addicts are going to get there pills no matter what they mine as well get them from him at least that way they can avoid our wonderful criminal justice system. I dont see the problem especially from our side of the fence shouldnt we be trying to support and help these guys?

Morally corrupt and bankrupt? Maybe he just realized that the drug war is a farce and addicts are going to get there pills no matter what they mine as well get them from him at least that way they can avoid our wonderful criminal justice system. I dont see the problem especially from our side of the fence shouldnt we be trying to support and help these guys?

I agree crimson..........we should all be supporting the doctors & pharmacies. My cousin owns a restaurant/bar & he sells the most beer in the city, more than any other place in the city. some nights he gets the same customer 3 or 4 times coming in for a 6-pack of beer, so does this mean if his customers get DUI's or smack around their gf's or whatever happens, should my cousin be put in jail for this? Absolutely not!

Time to stand up against this gestapo of a joke named DEA.

I agree crimson..........we should all be supporting the doctors & pharmacies. My cousin owns a restaurant/bar & he sells the most beer in the city, more than any other place in the city. some nights he gets the same customer 3 or 4 times coming in for a 6-pack of beer, so does this mean if his customers get DUI's or smack around their gf's or whatever happens, should my cousin be put in jail for this? Absolutely not!

we're not talking about beer, or cigarettes, or liquor. You keep bringing up these things when thats not the arguement at hand.

@crimsonjunk.

YES MORALLY CORRUPT OR BANKRUPT. look i understand we're all addicts. I AM TOO. but i am not going to sit here and side with a man, who is more than likely more intelligent than most people, who, by the looks of it, took advantage of people who are not able to consciously say "no" to chemicals that have the potential to make the user, AND FAMILIES, suffer and often take their lives. I just won't. Some of you who visit DiTM are either very young or you dont have the slightest bit of sense when it comes to these subjects.

yea i think the drug war is wrong, yea i think the DEA in a lot of instances over reach, yea im sure a shit load of politicians are in the drug trade or have directly or indirectly prospered from them. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE INSTANCES.

pill mills and doctors who finance and run them are just wrong...all across the board.

here is one for you....

say you are a doctor and a woman comes in and you know from her medical records that she has pancreatitis due to alcoholism and liver scarring because of alcoholism...WOULD YOU GIVE THAT WOMAN A BOTTLE OF WINE?!!?

if you're answer isnt "no because I took an oath as a doctors that states: I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure. I will remember that I remain a member of society with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm." then you are, in my opinion, WRONG....

this isnt a matter of the CIA or the DEA or anything other than a Doctor who was using his position in society to take advantage of a vulnerable group of people for financial gain. AND IT IS FUCKING WRONG and if his actions results in deaths then i believe he should be held responsible....

some of you people need to grow the fuck up and/or put down the drugs for a bit. fucking unbelievable.

your cousin didnt take a fucking oath to uphold a standard attitude of practice that dates back hundreds of years.

and yes i think your cousin should be held somewhat responsible if he knowingly and willingly sold alcohol to someone who was already intoxicated and this act was the beginning of a DUI or vehicular manslaughter. same for bartenders and there are laws in place for such things.

Last edited:
we're not talking about beer, or cigarettes, or liquor. You keep bringing up these things when thats not the arguement at hand.

@crimsonjunk.

YES MORALLY CORRUPT OR BANKRUPT. look i understand we're all addicts. I AM TOO. but i am not going to sit here and side with a man, who is more than likely more intelligent than most people, who, by the looks of it, took advantage of people who are not able to consciously say "no" to chemicals that have the potential to make the user, AND FAMILIES, suffer and often take their lives. I just won't. Some of you who visit DiTM are either very young or you dont have the slightest bit of sense when it comes to these subjects.

yea i think the drug war is wrong, yea i think the DEA in a lot of instances over reach, yea im sure a shit load of politicians are in the drug trade or have directly or indirectly prospered from them. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE INSTANCES.

pill mills and doctors who finance and run them are just wrong...all across the board.

here is one for you....

say you are a doctor and a woman comes in and you know from her medical records that she has pancreatitis due to alcoholism and liver scarring because of alcoholism...WOULD YOU GIVE THAT WOMAN A BOTTLE OF WINE?!!?

if you're answer isnt "no because I took an oath as a doctors that states: I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure. I will remember that I remain a member of society with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm." then you are, in my opinion, WRONG....

this isnt a matter of the CIA or the DEA or anything other than a Doctor who was using his position in society to take advantage of a vulnerable group of people for financial gain. AND IT IS FUCKING WRONG and if his actions results in deaths then i believe he should be held responsible....

some of you people need to grow the fuck up and/or put down the drugs for a bit. fucking unbelievable.

That doctor is just fufilling a service in a free market. I dont see where morals come into play. He has customers that need pills he fufills that need personal responsibility dictates that they can choose that path. Lets be real addicts seek these docs out no innocent person just accidently gets connected with these docs in the course of normal treatment. If these addicts werent getting there pills from him they would be buying them from a drug dealer at greater personal cost and cost to society. Addicts get high no matter what its pissing into the wind. And calling people you disagree with names makes you sound 14 grow up.

What world are you leaving in? There are tons of people in different fields taking advantage of others for clear profit of MONEY! Whether you want to believe it or not, its up to you............it seems you are blind to the fact that no matter what your opinion is on this, the public will always want their pain meds.

This is a matter of the DEA because they are doing everything in their power to shut down pain med corporations as we speak & they want to suspend CVS & other pharmacies from giving out opiates. JOKE............like some people on this site!