• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug Policy Alliance's 911 overdose bill clears Senate

Bluelight Crew
In November, Art Way, manager of the Drug Policy Alliance's Colorado branch, previewed a Good Samaritan bill intended to prevent those who call 911 when a friend is overdosing from being arrested for doing so. Despite law-enforcement opposition, the bill passed the Senate yesterday -- but big obstacles lie ahead.

Simply getting the bill, known as SB-20, out of the Senate judiciary committee earlier this month was touch and go, Way concedes. Advocating on behalf of the measure were the Colorado Criminal Defense Bar, the Colorado Criminal Justice Reform Coalition, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition and a number of other organizations, as well as "a few people who had personal stories to tell," he says. "We had family members, sons as well as friends who overdosed -- some who survived, and some who didn't. It was a very emotional yet on-point discussion of the recent epidemic of overdoses primarily caused by opiates, and it really brought home how widespread the issue is."

​Not that everyone was convinced. As Way recalls, "law enforcement was there in opposition," and in force. "At the time of the hearing, I only expected the Colorado District Attorneys' Council, but it appears they rallied the wagons. The state sheriffs association was there as well, and the attorney general's office sent someone to testify against the bill. And the Colorado Association of Chiefs of Police was there, although no one from there testified.

"It was really disturbing," Way continues. "Really all I heard from the testimony was, 'We are not going to be able to put felony charges on people in cases of overdose when they have a small amount of drugs in their possession,' or 'We want to be able to charge them with distribution regarding that small amount.'"

cont. http://blogs.westword.com/latestwor..._alliance_911_overdose_bill_passes_senate.php

Very nice this is a great political issue for our side as we are clearly able to show that law enforcement doesnt care about saving lives and producing a better community for all citizens. I would like to see a national version of this bill in congress as this is a debate that even the general public can see as common sense issue. Everytime we are able to show LEO standing against common sense we win more supporters to our side.

PHP:
Very nice this is a great political issue for our side as we are clearly able to show that law enforcement doesnt care about saving lives and producing a better community for all citizens. I would like to see a national version of this bill in congress as this is a debate that even the general public can see as common sense issue. Everytime we are able to show LEO standing against common sense we win more supporters to our side.

I second this. Good Samaritan laws are the first step on a very long road to a reasonable drug policy

I don't get how their responses are taken seriously. Handing out drug charges is not important, esp. compared to the value of someone's life. There should be no second thoughts when it comes to calling 911 but there naturally is because people have to worry about themselves going to jail or prison when all they tried to do was save a friend.

If I was ever in this situation, I'd just flush all of my drugs because I'd want my friend to live but at the same time, I wouldn't want to go to jail.

Why does law enforcement oppose this bill? Seriously, what do they gain from doing so. Do they think "hell, just let the junky pos die anyways, one less dope fiend to arrest and more beds in the jails". I don't get it...

Why does law enforcement oppose this bill? Seriously, what do they gain from doing so. Do they think "hell, just let the junky pos die anyways, one less dope fiend to arrest and more beds in the jails". I don't get it...

Yes thats exactly what they think. They also probably hate to pass up a nice easy bust to pad their stats. Remember these are the same people that dont want clean syringes available to addicts.

Good news indeed.
I've been insanely fortunate to never be arrested for possession of anything post-overdose, and the EMTs have come for me 3 times now. From personal experience, I think it really comes down to the discrestion of the parademics.