• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

"Fears over Leicestershire double deaths and ketamine link" - BBC fact check fail?

MrGuy

Greenlighter
"Fears over Leicestershire double deaths and ketamine link" - BBC fact check fail?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-england-leicestershire-17007766

The deaths of two people in Leicestershire may have been due to the drug ketamine purchased on the internet, police have revealed.

A 59-year-old woman was found at an address in Leicester on Saturday and a man of 32 in Melton Mowbray on Sunday.

Detectives say the deaths are not suspicious, but have confirmed one line of inquiry is the use of ketamine, also known at methadrone.

Anyone who has sourced the drug on the internet is being urged not to take it

"One of our lines of inquiry is that prior to their deaths both people may have taken a form of the drug ketamine, known medically as methoxetamine, which may have been purchased over the internet."

This isn't all factually correct is it...?

lololol wat
ketameen and MXE are 2 different drogz.
and methedrone=BK-PMMA, yet another different drug

I've just this second bashed off a message to the editorial team about this article:

Hi editorial folks, just spotted some very important factual errors in this article: "Fears over Leicestershire double deaths and ketamine link" ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-17007766 ):

- Ketamine is never referred to as "MKAT", "methadrone", "mephedrone", or any of the numerous subtle variations of the name of the class B cathinone mephedrone;

- While Methoxetamine is chemically related to ketamine, its effects on the body are thought to be significantly different to those of ketamine. Due to the drug's novel status, there is little to no solid scientific data on the drug's effects;

This quote appears to be fine: ""One of our lines of inquiry is that prior to their deaths both people may have taken a form of the drug ketamine, known medically as methoxetamine, which may have been purchased over the internet."

... however, the following sentence is incorrect:

"The drug may also be referred to as MCAT or methadrone."

Hopefully it'll prompt some fact-checking rather than just bollocksing things up further.

Wouldn't it be ironic if mxe was banned because it was publicly decried as the next mephedrone? <le sigh>

lol thats hilarious how they refer to ketamine as three different other drugs. Like are you guys serious I'm baked right now and I find this really really funny

^ There is a methEdrone, which is bk-pmma. Indeed more toxic than mephedrone. I'm sure however they meant to put meph but just made yet another ridiculous error upon something that was already incorrect.

"bk-pmma" Ugh. Even the name makes me feel ill.

The BBC has to be one of the worst news publications for reporting anything to do with drugs. They are either insanely biased or they sound like they were in a K-Hole when they typed it.

Updated now.

it seems to have been updated

the peeps thought it was 4-mmc and possibly overdosed on mxe.

The deaths of two people in Leicestershire may have been due to a drug purchased on the internet, police have revealed.
A woman, 59, was found at a Leicester address on Saturday and a 32-year-old man in Melton Mowbray on Sunday.
Detectives say the deaths are not suspicious, but have confirmed one line of inquiry is the use of the drug methoxetamine.
Anyone who has bought the drug on the internet is being urged not to take it.
Det Insp Rob Widdowson, of Leicestershire Police, said: "We are investigating the circumstances leading to the deaths of these two people in order to prepare files for the coroner.
"One of our lines of inquiry is that prior to their deaths both people may have taken a drug known medically as methoxetamine which... may have been purchased over the internet."
Methoxetamine has similar effects to the banned drug ketamine.
A police spokesman said it is believed both of them had thought they were taking another drug known as MCAT.
He added that police were warning "anyone who has obtained this or similar substances not to take it and to contact the police or other health professionals".
Anyone with information about the circulation of the drug in Leicestershire is being asked to contact police.
Amendment 13 February: This story has been amended to clarify details about the drug methoxetamine following updated information from Leicestershire Police.

This has similarities to the incident that led to the banning of mephedrone in the UK…

Two people take a drug and both die. (edit: just realised this is on separate days and at separate addresses. Odd)
Use the police and media to spread rumour and misinformation before the toxicologist report is released.
Implicate a variety of drugs, one of them a legal high, in an effort to demonise it.

Anyway… what's the probability that these two people drank a quantity of alcohol and then took MXE, thinking it was mephedrone?

Last edited:
That first version was horrible. 8(

But yeah, bye bye MXE. This better not be from you know who.

I think it makes more sense that these people thought they were taking MXE (methoxetamine MKET, not MCAT (methcathinone i think)) but instead took some other research chem meant to be dosed much lower. If we could find out how much powder arrived from the vendor it would explain it. I don't think even a gram each of MXE would actually kill them. I have read of people using 2-300mg at a time without adverse effects.

I am 95% percent sure that roflcoptr marketing bullshit is ultimately responsible for the misinformation that led to these two guys' deaths.

I bet it's also responsible for the confusion between methoxetamine and mephedrone in the article. There's no other way these so remarkably different drugs could get confused with one another.

I am 95% percent sure that roflcoptr marketing bullshit is ultimately responsible for the misinformation that led to these two guys' deaths.

I bet it's also responsible for the confusion between methoxetamine and mephedrone in the article. There's no other way these so remarkably different drugs could get confused with one another.

The marketing bullshit only exists because of the shite nature of the current UK drug laws and attitudes.

I too think it was a mix up between mephedrone and MXE, but, as Doctor Ew420 says, taking a meph-sized dose of MXE wouldn't be (or shouldn't be) and issue… unless other depressants were consumed.