• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Romney backs welfare drug-testing

Bluelight Crew
Asked by an Atlanta reporter about mandatory drug tests for welfare recipients, Mitt Romney announced his enthusiastic support. (Thanks to James Carter for the tip.)

[M]y own view it's a great idea. People who are receiving welfare benefits, government benefits, we should make sure they are not using the money for drugs. I think it's an excellent idea.

He's not the only one on the right who thinks so. Republican officials in several states have become fans of expanded drug testing, and in perhaps the most notorious instance, Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) pushed through an ambitious drug-testing program, only to see it fail miserably.

It's not just the states, either, with Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) pushed in the last Congress for mandatory drug tests for those seeking unemployment benefits.

Romney probably sees this as a way to pander just a little more to his party's base, but there are some pretty dramatic flaws with this policy. For one thing, there are constitutional concerns about the government forcing Americans to give up bodily fluid in order to qualify for benefits to which they're entitled. Is this what the right now considers "limited government"?

For another, administering these drug tests isn't free. In Florida, Rick Scott said the policy would save taxpayer money, but the tests ended up doing the exact opposite.

more http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/09/10365798-romney-backs-welfare-drug-testing

Last edited:
Drug testing for welfare recipients ? Awesome. That won't create more fraud (sales of clean urine, bribing welfare officials, etc)

Rick "the alien" Scott is a big supporter of this. And he should be because he owned a bunch of the clinics that would be doing the testing. But to make sure that there would be no conflict of interest he had them put in his wifes name. No conflict of interest there folks. Nothing to see here, move along people. Rick Scott will not personally profit from mandatory drug testing. LOL What a crock of crap. But this law could be used to beat these fuckers at their own game. Fight fire with fire. If all the stoners invested every penny they could spare in drug testing stocks they would reap enormous profits in a short time. Then they could use all that cash to beat the politicians at their own game i.e. buying votes. I wish I had invested every spare penny in piss testing stocks when they first came out on the market years ago. But unfortunately the market has been saturated for a long time and there isn't that much gain to be seen anymore. But this will be a second chance to hop on a new wave of piss testing profits and surf it all the way to the White House! Who's with me? COWABUNGA!!!

as a taxpayer, I don't want my money going to the HUGE expense of paying for the tests themselves-
The welfare applicants pay a fee (good job, take money from people who don't have it) for the test, and if they pass it, they get it refunded, which means that people like us end up paying for tests that have passed, which is way more than the one that have failed-

If the system really gave two shits, they would have restrictions on what a person on welfare can spend the money on.
-inb4 someone points out that this is facism.
@Fossil: Far out.
Don't forget to read the fine print though.

I live in MA, and had Mitt's wife for a teacher (6th grade iirc - lotsa repressed memories from my youth).

Burn them both at the stake. They're bloody morons who will suck whoever's dick / say whatever they need to to pander to their crowd.

Welfare recepients have nothing to worry about, Obama will win again in November.......

This whole welfare drug-testing fiasco - wasn't the bill amended to also test politicans (and then swiftly withdrawn)? If I recall correctly, that's what I read in another post here not too long ago.

This whole welfare drug-testing fiasco - wasn't the bill amended to also test politicans (and then swiftly withdrawn)? If I recall correctly, that's what I read in another post here not too long ago.

Yes it was & man I would love to see it passes for only that reason where they could test politicians.........then again, a lot of politicians using illegal drugs would by pass their drug tests somehow, they do have connections.

so i heard this failed because US the people wanted our politicians and lobbyists to take drug tests also and they weren't going for it

^ I believe the bill was drafted in a way that anyone collecting tax payers money needed to be tested. Then it was asked who paid the people that drew up these bills and realized it was tax payers. So it seemed to shut it down quick because the politicians thought it was above them. Something to that effect.

drug tests are expensive. there are probly as much mormons as there are people on welfare - and i think there are even mormons on welfare.