• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How Do You Get Your Choline?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
What is the ideal way you like to take choline? Do you take lecithin? Choline bitartrate? And why do you prefer whatever it is you do/What are the benefits of using one form or compounded version vs. another? Thx!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people get all the dietary choline they need from phospholipids like lecithin found in grains, soy, egg, and meat.

It shouldn't really matter what source you take. Eat an extra egg or two a day if you want some delicious fatty acids too.

soy lecithin is probably the cheapest source.

I gelcap it. The smell of fish it has makes me gag. Why do so many chemicals have to smell like that of all things. I'd take an ammonia smell over fish any day. I get the big 10 kilo tubs of it. One 00 size gelcap for preload before taking the potent nootropic noopept.

Most light aliphatic amines, such as e.g. methylamine, dimethylamine, and choline, smell like fish because... fish produce methylamines when they decompose!

I suppose another benefit of lecithin supplementation is it's not so fishy :p

sekio -- so, what you're saying is that there isn't any difference, practically speaking, between taking lecithin and choline bitartrate? Would the latter be less potent than the former, or is there just no diff? Thanks!!!

As far as I know, choline in the body is derived from lecithin (phosphatidiylcholines in specific).
PDCholine is a compound of two fatty acids, a glycerol group, a phosphate group, and choline. That makes lecithin less effective than pure choline salts by weight, just because it's not 100% choline.

Lecithin is still the cheapest (per equivalent of choline) and least stinky supplement, I think. Either that or eat more eggs/beef liver.

gotcha. I think I'll do some more research into the whole thing more generally, as know more about what I'm taking certainly isn't such a bad thing.

just to mention, the choline bitartrate I take, which is in powder form (although it's kinda sticky and grainy at the same time) doesn't taste that bad at all. I mean, it's certainly nothing next to the bitterness of the piracetam I also take. the bitartrate actually tastes sour, like lime juice when mixed with h2o. not fishy at all, although I know the flavour/smell you all are referring to.

oh yea, and regarding eating more eggs/beef/liver, I have rather high cholesterol, especially for my age. unfortunately it's hereditary, and since I'm trying to avoid taking any meds for it until I absolutely have to in ten or so years, I've got to watch what I eat. although I certainly am a fan of liver, eggs, etc, I have to be careful. hence using the supplements.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have cholesterol problems, then it's probably a good idea to stick to choline salts rather than lecithin, as lecithins can modify cholesterol levels.

Choline bitartrate is an acidic salt, so tasting acidic is normal.

haha, right, me too (although that wasn't so much what I was after)

mods: sekio pretty much cleared things up for me, so feel free to close this thread as I've got what I need.