• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids First time Methadone

bennyZA

Bluelighter
I've used the search engine, so if there is another post about this I couldn't find it.

I get medicine for chronic pain, and my doctor decided that methadone would be better than the oxycodone I take. He said he prefers to prescribe methadone before he prescribes oxycontin. So basically, I looked at some of the opiate converstion charts and it says 50mg of oxycodone is 7.5mg of methadone. With the new script, that just doesn't seem right. I guess my questions are, what is a good recreational dose for someone who takes 50mg of oxycodone to get a nice buzz and 75 to get a good nod going. Also, what should I expect from methadone? Isn't it none-euphoric? Is it just going to make me sick. I looked all over the internet and everyone says different things. Any opinions from opiate users?

I found some answers, but I guess I'm wondering more about recreational use then the methadone megathread answers.

methadone does not give me any euphoria. I am on 95 a day for opiate addiction. i get a mild "glow" at best.
I've used the search engine, so if there is another post about this I couldn't find it.

I get medicine for chronic pain, and my doctor decided that methadone would be better than the oxycodone I take. He said he prefers to prescribe methadone before he prescribes oxycontin. So basically, I looked at some of the opiate converstion charts and it says 50mg of oxycodone is 7.5mg of methadone. With the new script, that just doesn't seem right. I guess my questions are, what is a good recreational dose for someone who takes 50mg of oxycodone to get a nice buzz and 75 to get a good nod going. Also, what should I expect from methadone? Isn't it none-euphoric? Is it just going to make me sick. I looked all over the internet and everyone says different things. Any opinions from opiate users?

Methadone can give euphoria if you're not on maintenance,but it's really best to only use it recreationally once in a blue moon if at all, due to its incredible potency and super long half life. High dosages taken daily can also block other opiates from having any real effect too, as methadone will just saturate you're opiate receptors to the point that euphoria is not possible, and using more opiates will only sedate you and slow you're breathing.

If 50mg of oxy gives you a nice buzz, I would try ten mg of methadone. It takes a while to kick in, so don't redoes until you've waited three hours. IMO, I could always feel super low dosages of methadone, even 2.5mg, but I would not say I was able to get high unless I took 30mg or more. A lot of people can get plenty fucked up off of five mg though so really, don't start off at any more than ten mg. keep in mind that methadones duration is really long, you can feel the after effects sometimes even the next day. I would just take it as prescribed for a little while though and then ask for something else, but who knows, maybe you'll like it.

If you are chasing euphoria, you probably won't be too happy with methadone. I have gotten high off of it, but after like day 5 of using it, the magic is lost. I find oxycodone to be one of, if not the most euphoric opiate (that's just my opinion, I'm not looking to get into a discussion about what opiate is the most euphoric).

If you are a chronic pain patient, then you really shouldn't be trying to get high off of your meds. It is a slippery slope, and if you run out or run low, the pain from withdrawal coupled with the chronic pain, can prove to be pretty horrible.

Opioid conversion charts are used for converting the doses used for analgesic effects. That is not going to be the same as euphoric effects, especially since people find certain opiates to be more euphoric than others, and these preferences vary from person to person.

One of the most important harm reduction things to know about methadone is that is very dangerous to combine it with CNS depressants (alcohol, benzodiazepines, etc) especially xanax. Be sure that your doctor knows all other medications you are on.

Last edited:
I loved methadone, mainly because of the long half-life. There is nothing better imo than waking up already high. Of course, methadone's magic seems to be short-lived, but it's ability to treat chronic pain is pretty epic.

methadone is def a funny one ,i was on it for years and ive been clean for lil over a month and i dosed 30mg after all that and didnt even get the warmth u get from opiates ..it sucks how damn long does it take for tolerance to actually go down to 0 ....sucks

A long time. When I got off of methadone, I was in an inpatient for four months, followed by a month at a halfway house where I ended up relapsing, I got high as hell off heroin.

I found that even when I had little to no tolerance (basically chipping away, doing two bags a day), I still needed to take 80mg of methadone to achieve a high off of it. You can feel methadone at very low dosages, but that's not the same thing as getting a proper nod in my oppinion. Methadone is great for detox IMO, better than suboxone, but it's pretty shitty recreationally

If you can still get a nod from 75mg's, you'll get high from the methadone. But it won't be that energetic head-buzzing high like oxy, it feels like a body high-"body glow" + extreme tiredness (a comfortable type of tired though...)

Its kind of like what Indica is to weed strains: Sativa, like oxy, gives that energetic cerebral high, whereas Indica gives that heavy body stone type high. They both get you blazed, but people prefer one over the other according to personal preferance.

Also, if kept at the same dose and taken daily, you will build up tolerance to the plesant effects of methadone MUCH quicker than you do with oxy. And seriously, don't mess with alcohol or benzos, VERY dangerous as I'm sure you know

(Been doing opiates for 10+ years, on MMT now so I'm learning what this particular beast is like firsthand as we speak)

i actually did 30mg oxy insuf. and just got a lil warm added 10mg m.done and felt crappy ...really disatisfying ...am wondering if can ever enjoy opiates like i used to before it got to just staying well, fuck methadone ....