• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The value of loperamide during withdrawal, what is it?

tkarr

Bluelighter
Lots of people seem to reccomend this, but I'm a bit curious - is it just because it helps ease diarrhea and stomach pain while you're kicking - or is it mainly due to the fact that being an opiate type drug of sorts, even though it doesn't having euphoric effects or anything at normal doses, it still stimulates your opiate receptors and mitigates withdrawal symptoms on an overall level, vs. just treating the things it describes on the box of Immodium?

Thanks for any help, I'm finally ready to kick my habit, I've tapered down to about 1/3rd of the dose I was taking on a normal basis for several years, and I plan to take my last dose tommorow night and then have nothing through Friday at work then have the weekend if I need to suffer too badly.

I have some Kratom which I've found to actually be very helpful so far as I've tapered down, the symptoms haven't been that bad, though I've noticed on the days I've been dropping, I start to feel it in the evening and then I feel pretty sick when I wake up in the morning, and am up during the night a couple times, but then I take my dose in the morning and I'm ok through the workday.

But I was thinking I wouldn't mind picking up some loperamide to give me another tool for fighting the symptoms, maybe to alternate with the Kratom taking those over the course of the next week or so to fend off withdrawals then dropping them off gradually.

I've taken various things, but you could equate it to maybe 80mg oxycodone/day. Which I know isn't that big, the biggest symptom I've noticed in previous withdrawal - in addition to RLS, and muscle pain, headache, etc. - is just utter exhaustion, and I don't have the ability to just spend a whole week without functioning I'm afraid. So if I can have a couple things to just give me that little boost to pick me up to a level where I can suck it up through a day of work - non-physical work, office - That is perfect for me, I don't mind a bit of pain. I almost relish it now thinking about how much I've screwed up with my use.

Thanks again for any advice you may have.

There are a massive amount of loperamide threads on here with information for you - and even a megathread. Use search function.

Loperamide does indeed seem to help everyone kick in some way or another - mostly physical (gastrointestinal) - but many people report mental relief as well. If I ever need to withdraw, it will be the first thing I get as an aid (besides doing a regular taper).

I wouldn't use the kratom or loperaminde until you are off of the other opiates. I find that kratom and loperamide have 2 main uses in withdrawal.
-to bridge the gap between doses on days that you cannot get any other opiates
-to take after your last dose of the opiates you are addicted to, to further taper

Kratom causes withdrawals as well, so it's best to only use it for a short amount of time. Also, if you are dropping your dose of other opiates, and taking kratom instead, it takes a little away from the progress you are making.

As for the loperamide, taking it at high doses for a prolonged period of time can cause withdrawals. I find it to help a little bit more than in just the ways mentioned on the box. Some people get more out of it than others, so your mileage may vary.

Pretty much anything that will help you out enough to give you that little 'boost' is going to just prolong the inevitable.
What opiates have you been taking? I know you said it was something equivalent to about 80mg oxy, but it could help if you specified.

Most opiate withdrawals seem to peak by day 3, and are a lot better by day 5. This is why I usually suggest to take the last dose on a Thursday, have the peak of the withdrawal over the weekend, and then you should only have a day or two of mild withdrawals at the beginning of the week.