• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Mum had a violent reaction to the new transdermal Bupe batches--pls help

ksmethadone

Greenlighter
OK, I have some experience with bup myself in the with of subutex and buprenex. She has numerous health conditions that genuinely do require something strong. Her percocet and vicodin has stopped working, and she didn't want the methadone prescription they offered her, so they convinced her to go on these trans-dermal buprenorphine patches called "Butrans." Anyway, my experience has always been that if you take anything with bupe in it (even the oral buprenex, which lacks the naltrexone) you are going to get very ill. I warned her, but she said her doctor, dtold her, etc...

So, anway, 2 am last niight she calls me-- severe vomiting almost to where it's projectile, diarrhea. just a general feeling of malaise. sudden sensitivity to foul odors, and smoking (which she has been doing for over 40 yrs and never had an issue like this). Unbenounced to her, these are literally the same exact symptoms I got when that doctor tried to transfer me from methadone tro subutex after only a day off the methadone/

I firmly believe that this is a case where the "lab" has yet to catch up with the "real world." However the bupe interacts wit the receptors, it causes some people who havr ANY "real"opiates in their system to get violently ill.

Anyone who has any similar experiences with bupe, or any experiences wit these new bupe patches ("butrans") can you please help me? I am desperate for answers here and I am close to having to take her to the ER. Thanks in advance (pls excuse spelling/grammar errors, writing under a great deal of stress right now)

She went into precipitated withdrawals. The doctor should have warned her taking the bupe after full agonist opiates would make her sick. You need to wait 24-72 hrs depending on what opiate/opioid she was taking at the time,so she could take the bupe while she was in withdrawals and the other opiates were not in her system.

Yep, what Georgie said.

Buprenorphine is what causes precipitated withdrawal, even when you're taking suboxone, because boor endorphins attaches to opiate receptors much stronger, rendering the naloxone inactive. Unfortunately, a lot of doctors don't know about this, and people who aren't drug savvy have to suffer due to their ignorance.
Buprenorphine is very potent, but it's not very good as a pain medication, as it can cause precipitated withdrawals, and can block other short acting full agonists (oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine etc..)which might be useful for breakthrough pain. Fentanyl patches are a better alternative, as they are incredibly potent too, but don't block other opioids, and cannot cause precipitated withdrawal.

Buprenorphine has one of the highest binding affinities of any known opioid (to the opioid receptors) and will knock most anything off and cause immediate WD from that substance. There is only one drug I know of that can "theoretically" knock even bupe off those receptors and that is an analog of fentanyl called sufentanyl.

Thank you, George25 and Znegative, for confirming exactly what I'd suspected. And the funny thing is that the first time the Dr. tired to switch me to to bupe 3 or 4 years ago, he told me that there was "no way" I could be having that kind of reaction when I called him 36 hours later bc the "buprenex (unlike the suboxone) doesn't have naltrexone in it." What this idiot didn't know was that I knew more about neurochemistry (esp how the receptors work and agonists/partial agonists) than he did and I knew that was exactly what had to be going on. I've now finally located a doctor who respects my intelligence and basically lets me tell him what I want each month and how much of it (he knows I'd never sell anything, knows I'd never OD, and knows I only ask for and take exactly what I need and still manage to remain perfectly functional in the world-- so long as doctors are sure of that and if you develop a real friendship with the guy, he'll pretty much write you whatever you want if you get the right doctor) . Meanwhile, my mother goes to this idiot internist who like to prescribe ".25mg" doses of xanax and also likes to write for things like bupe patches instead of fent patches. I warned her about it in advance too and she said: "Who do you think knows more, YOU or this guy who's been practicing 35 yrs..." All I could do was shake my head bc I knew what she was in store for and there was no talking her out if it. Lol, well, at least on this specific issue, it appears the I knew more.
She's still sick as a dog, btw. I was trying to read the package insert back to determine how long the half life is when this crap is used trans-dermally and when she'll be reasonably better.Best I can glean is about 24-36 hrs.Until then, I guess she'll have to rough it out with as many benzos as she can take. The real joke is for what these lousy 4 buprenex patches must have cost the insurance, she could have probably gotten a year's worth of Fent patches, 6 months worth of Roxicodone 80 mgs, or 3 yrs worth of 330 methadone pills a month-- all things that would have actually WORKED for her pain.
I swear, I have a formula for getting off opiates down to a science-- all you need is a bottle of 100 2mg xanax, 100, 32.4mgs phenobarbitals (never have understood why phenos come in exactlyreally "32.4mgs," but they do) and I can get myself or anyone else off comfortably in a month. The pheno works to metabolize the opiate out of your body in such a way that you barely notice. You can get off ay opiate (even methadone) conformably in a month. I actually figured this out myself through trial and error, obtaining my experimental materials on trips to TJ :). Too bad I don't have an Md I could open a rehab that actually gets you off without the misery.

Yeah phenobarbital does change opioid metabolism. And just to let you know, you're mother should be feeling better relatively soon, precipitated withdrawals usually only last a couple of hours, though it depends on what kind of full agonist you were taking before. I'd really call up the doctor myself if it was my mom, and tell him to give her something else. There are many opioids that are Much stronger than oxycodone and hydrocodone, fentanyl, dilaudid and oxymorphone to name the most popular ones.