• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids My Strange Love/Hate Relationship With Tramadol, Input Is Appreciated.

Dr.Shopper

Bluelighter
I know that for many people, tramadol (Ultram) either does nothing or has very little pleasant effect. But for me, it is absolutely my favorite drug that I've tried. And this is strange because I was addicted to oxycodone for a year and loved the high (who wouldn't?). Although I love oxycodone, and I've enjoyed my dabblings in heroin and other opiates, they don't hit the spot like popping some Ultram. It is just a sublime experience. Since they are very cheap and easy to get, it makes it even better. But here's the problem: Every time I wake up in the morning after a night of Ultram buzzing, I hit the fucking wall. The feeling is very similar to a severe alcohol hangover. I get extremely nauseous and dizzy, have a pounding headache and proceed to puke up bile for hours, and after that's all gone I start a cycle of dry heaving. That's as far as the alcohol hangover comparison goes. I get other more strange side-effects. For some reason, I can't speak properly for a few hours - every time I try to talk, the only thing that comes out is a faint whisper and a little crackling noise. I just don't understand this because I usually tolerate drugs pretty well, and Ultram is supposed to be pretty "light" on the opiate scale. No other opiates (besides methadone) give me ANY nausea or hangover feelings. But for some strange reason, Ultram gives me a hangover from hell. I'm just wondering if anybody might have any idea why this is. Despite all these consequences, the sweet taste of my favorite buzz keeps me coming back from more. If anybody out there can help, let me know. Thanks.

Do you take any other meds or mix your tramadol with any other drugs?

Sounds kind of like serotonin syndrome actually, but that is normally caused by combining tramadol with other drugs or substances. It is very rarely known to occur with just tramadol by itself. Are you taking other meds or herbs, supplements, etc? Some people are much more sensitive than others to unusual side effects and "hangover" effects, so it could definitely be that too. Side effects don't necessarily correspond with the strength of high or analgesic effects, so it doesn't really matter that tramadol isn't the "strongest" opioid you've tried. Also I have no idea how much tramadol you're taking.

EDIT: Also, are you sure these aren't withdrawal symptoms? Tramadol is known for causing weird/different WDs than other opioids.

Sounds kind of like serotonin syndrome actually, but that is normally caused by combining tramadol with other drugs or substances. It is very rarely known to occur with just tramadol by itself. Are you taking other meds or herbs, supplements, etc? Some people are much more sensitive than others to unusual side effects and "hangover" effects, so it could definitely be that too. Side effects don't necessarily correspond with the strength of high or analgesic effects, so it doesn't really matter that tramadol isn't the "strongest" opioid you've tried. Also I have no idea how much tramadol you're taking.

EDIT: Also, are you sure these aren't withdrawal symptoms? Tramadol is known for causing weird/different WDs than other opioids.

Yeah tramadol you get an opiate wtihdrawal and a ssri withdrawal.. it's really horrid i've read.

No, I'm always careful not to combine it with any other drugs or supplements and it always goes away after a day so I don't think it's serotonin syndrome. When I wrote this post, I had only ever experienced this feeling with tramadol. But last night I did some methadone and today I woke up with the exact same hangover that tramadol would give me. This has never happened with methadone before. I feel like absolute SHIT. Oh, and by the way I don't think it's withdrawal because I'm not physically addicted to any opiates at the moment.

Tramadol is very weird. I too used to get amazing highs off of it. I woudn't say I preferred to heroin, but still I don't think many people would expect a high that is even comparable in intensity to heroin from just a few tramadol and yet that is what it was like fo rme. I mean, the interesting thing about it is how little was reiqired to give me a strong effect. Like 2 ultram, would be really strong whereas if I took 2 vicodin id barely feel anything.

I quit using it though, because of next day side effects, mainly bad nausea.

Exactly how much tramadol are you taking? If you're taking too much, then you will be at greater risk for seizure, and that might explain your symptoms, the shakiness and the trouble enunciating. I know that I've experienced something similar to what you've described, and it's not pleasant. But, I do understand why you might enjoy the tramadol buzz so much; I've experimented with many different opiates, more serious opiates, from hydrocodone to heroin, and there's just something about the tramadol buzz that's different, and it's a nice surprise whenever we come across some tramadol. I believe that it's tramadol's SSRI properties that make its buzz so unique.

I only take 150-250 mg of tramadol when I use it. Most of the time it's only 200 mg. : /

Hello there, I can't offer an answer to your question Dr.Shopper but I just thought I would chip in as I have taken Tramadol for 20 years and I still take it only at 200mg a time.
The thing I am interested in about your post is that, as I get it prescribed for pain, which I really do require it for, I never saw it as a kind of \ buzz that I would want to take so often. I do recall in the early days (perhaps the first year or 2) the feeling of energy and excitement and the inability to stop talking! I still get the talking thing but to be honest, the buzz? The buzz is no more when you take it so long...
Don't take it for too long pal as it just kind of creeps slowly until you need just another pill to get that effect. I was taking 1200mg a day at one point but I lowered it down myself after the pain was sorted for a time....
I just hate to think of anyone feeling like I do from one dose to another, talking shit and feeling energetic of mind whilst being unable to retain much about anything!

What kind of high is it? I find this really surprising that tramadol has recreational properties, but many people say this is the case.

The 'high' Tramadol gives is like DHC in a way, pretty much 'up' and energetic in an opiod kind of way...you can talk a lot too, a bit speedy, but again, only in an opiod/opiate way. then you can also get sleepy though I never had the nods from Tramadol, I have seen others who took a lot end up falling asleep every few minutes etc.
That is the only effects list I can give you but then, I am dependant on it so that will be a factor!

Do you take any anti-depressants or work-out/diet supplements or other medications?

I love the tramadol buzz, however I've noticed that after a couple of days of hitting it hard it really loses its draw. The oscillation between strong opiate to strong amphetamine quickly faded to an odd, somewhat euphoric buzz.

I've never had any sort of effects like what you are having/had even with significantly higher doses; regardless I would take your body's hint. Tramadol's SSRI / SNRI effects are much more predominant than its partial affinity for the mu-receptor. I would concur that it sounds as if you're experiencing a form of serotoin syndrome. The lowering of your seizure threshold is also nothing to take lightly.

Tramadol is a weird drug that isn't all that well understood. I would honestly recommend switching to true opiates, granted addiction is no fun, at least they aren't as hard on the body. I will say though that it is a God send if you enter opiate withdrawal.

Hmm......I take Tramadol & never had the reaction to what you've had. I also take Vicodin as well with no reaction & all other opiates as well & the only one that I dont like is Oxycodone orally, I dont mind it by snorting it. Tramadol is a strange drug because it either gets people high or it doesnt...........it doesnt do much for me except bring me out of a state of depression but doesnt give me any euphoria at all.

Dude, tramadol effects me almost the same way as it does with you. I'm glad you made this post. Because I feel the same.

I'm not dependent on opioids. But I highly rate tramadol. One of my favorite opiods ever. And to top it off the one thing i like about it, it last a LONG time.

I noticed when i first started, everything was good. the come up - the come down. and of course the high. I feel so confident, etc. After a while (even not abusing it, I just use it socially) the come up I'm starting to feel slightly sick, and hang overs start to happen. I still very much like it. And i do something simple that works VERY well for myself....

Try to have a smaller dose if you can help it. Stay hydrated, of course. Also! HAVE SOME FOOD. This helped the hang overs more than anything. I know its very hard to eat, during / after your high. but eat as much good food, or w/e food as you can. Helped me so much, and it makes the hang over seem enjoyable if it's not strong. or even sometimes go away. (it's just like alcohol, sometimes a hangover, or nice afterglow, sometimes nothing)

One good night i mixed a lot of alcohol and tramadol. (bad decision under influence of alcohol) The two hang overs mixed. If swear, if i had a gun I would of killed myself to end the tremendous pain.

good luck and be safe.

Y'all are crazy! seriously... altram?!!?! WTF?! ive never heard of anyone getting a buzz off of it, trust me, ive tried!... but then again, i kinda sorta so have this nasty 6 bag a day heroin habbit. could just be withdraw your experiencing hun... but ive ever gotten it that bad commin off shootin the dope. lets not forget to mention the cold sweats and shakes... yuck 8)

Ultram dose not act exactly like an opiate..there is an ssri like withdrawal phenomena the user experiences for sure. You also experience withdrawals opiate like from this drug.

For recreational use..you have to have no opiate tolerance.

I disagree. I've known oxy addicts who get super high off tramadol...

I find about 50% of people who have taken either LOVE it, the other half feel nothing at all from it, even with zero opiate tolerance.

The first time i tried it I took 200mg. Felt nothing, was probaly placebo of what i did feel. A week later i took 250mg. I was high as a kite.
I like 100-250 doses personally.

So if your taking 50mg every hour is it better than if you took 200mg at once??
Or should you take 100mg and then an hour later take another 100mg?
I have a script from doc for pain so I take trammy on a reg basis, I am one of the 50% that LOVE tramadol. Also been seriously considering the plugging option.