• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opana ER for chronic pain..

TexasRebel

Ex-Bluelighter
Ok so hello there first of all... I am new to the forums :D

I have had 2 major knee surgeries in the last 2 years due to blowing out my knee bad while at work. First one (Fulkerson Osteotomy and Lateral Release) they broke my tibia to realign my lower leg with my knee and tightened and loosened some stuff so it would stop dislocating... A rod, 2 screws, and a plate put in. Next surgery 8 months after that was MPFL reconstruction.. cadavers knee cap and ligaments.. 2 more screws. Dealing with massive chronic pain for almost 3 years now. After the last surgery, my pain level sits at a 6-8 constantly. They tried everything to help me. FINALLY they found a pill combination that works for me, and cuts my pain to a 3.
They started me with Opana 10mg ER, and Percoset 7.5/325 together 3x a day... So 90 pills each a month. I was taking them orally until a buddy told me about this wonderful way to take them... snorting. OMFG.. Hit me so much faster, stayed in my system longer... Problem is that I think I have developed an addiction to them. I went thru all of the pills in less than 2 weeks. I refuse to get off the pills because it is the only thing that is working wonders for me and I REFUSE to give it up. Do not want to tell the doctor, because he would cut me off. In fact he upped my Opana to 20mg ER 3x a day, and Percoset to 10/325 3x a day.at

I am just worried about if I really am addicted to them? What do I do if I am.. I am kinda new to the whole Opana and snorting thing... Can someone give me some advice on Opanas and Percs snorting and stuff....

Thanks...

Oh that I know.. I only snort the Opanas. I take the Percs reg right after I snort the Ops

what did you do for the 2 weeks you were out?
this is yet another story of what happens to folks on Opana.
You better find a way to bring your use down to a prescribed/therapeutic level b/c yes you're on the addict train.
I dont even see how the Percocet could be doing anything for you right now unless taken 3+ at a time, if you've been snorting 20mg Opana at a time (conservative estimate).
Do yourself a favor and find a way to take them orally, or at least part of your daily script oral, and/or don't snort over your 3per/day.

Did you have experience with opiates or even a habit at sometime prior to this?

No experience prior.. they went from 5/325 Percs, right to Opana 10mg ER. The 2 weeks I was out I called a friend, and they had gotten enough to make sure i didn't W/D. We would just share. He was getting them and using without a script, so he knew where to go and who to call to get them. Percs aren't doing anything.. but he continues to prescribe them....

That's what I figured.
Well, zoom a few months into the future when no amount of snorted Opana ER will get you high, just normal.
Then zoom a year or more into the future after having done the routine every month of running out early. Will you friend always be there? Always be there to "share" without charging a dime?
What happens when your doc does your first UA? Second, third, etc. Are you going to always have what you need in your pee, and nothing you "dont" need? Your doc can and will kick you out after feeding you Opana and Oxy everyday for however long if he feels like youre abusing or detering your meds.

All just food for thought man. Opana is some of the most powerful, and tolerance-inducing meds out there. Most say it is the pharm right under H.

Snorting does have a greater BA, yes. But you're also snorting the ER formulation. There is a thread here about that, and how shitty it is for your nose/lungs. Problem is, your Doc can no longer give you a med to be taken orally that can match the potency of what youve been stickin upyour nose.
Be careful.

Agreed man, this is a road you don't want to go down. It does not end well. I got to a point where 10-12 of the 40mgERs and 4-6 10mgIRs were just keeping me 'normal' for several years. It sucked, as there is nothing (short of H or Fent) that can come close to scratching that itch. The WD is absolute FN hell. Stash all those percs away while you taper back down on the 0pana - seriously. And do find a way to make oral work for you - they last a lot longer that way. Yes I understand the other way works much better - but long term damage to your sinuses and lungs isn't worth the buzz man. Sorry to be a wet blanket - but I don't want to see someone else get to where I was. Pure hell - no better description.

Thanks everyone.. y'all are helping me alot. i am just worried because my Dr is planning on upping me to Opana 20mg ER on the 17th of next month. I know i need it for the pain, but it is just hard to stop snorting it. I am trying to taper myself down... I do it once in the morning when my pain is the worst, and I try not to do it for the rest of the day. It is very hard... I miss the high that I get, but I am not as bad as some of y'all say u have gotten, and I don't want to get that bad. Some of my friends are so bad, that they do 80mg at a minimum a day just to feel anything, and they don't even have a script. They buy them. I have never sold my pills because I need them, but it is tempting. Oh, and I am a female... lol

I thought you said he already upped you to 20mg Opana?
Not as bad as some of us, eh?
You do realise that you told us you ran out of your 4 week script, 2 weeks early?
You may not be up to what JustJ said, but you're not far behind if you are doubling your allowed daily dose.
You may not be up to some of the total mgs listed by others, but your mindset is already there.
Considering you still get high from snorting one of your Opana ERs, then you should be able to go oral on your dose just fine, especially if you're going up to 20mg (since your story changed and he's not yet upped you to 20mg).

Take JustJ's advice, STASH all your percocet. I mean, every single one of them. Surely it takes you 6+ at once to feel anything from them at this point anyway, right? Well, then don't waste them, and save them for your rainy day. If you don't listen to us about the Opana, at least listen to us about the percocet. That doesnt mean sell it off either.

There's so much I want to say to you right now, but I have a feeling you're ultimately not going to listen, and really there is only so much I can say.

Let me repeat myself.
Opana will build your tolerance up and shit you out before you know what has hit you. You soon won't be dosing to get high, but to get normal, and NOTHING else will work; next stop: Heroin. Your friends already so pretty effed up. I imagine they're being nice to you won't always be the case. Addicts are addicts. They will sell you out and send you down the river. How much Opana or percocet have you been supplyin your friends with? Did you promise them Opana once you were scripted if they helped you out while in W/D?

I just cant stand the thought of being able to HELP someone at the Opana Crossroads that you are at. Please...

Can you at least try cutting your pills in half, and learning to enjoy them 1/2 at a time?
You know, had you not f*cked your tolerance already, the Percocet should be what you take in the morning to give you the boost you need. That's why you were given it. Even if you had to take all 3 in the A.M., that woulda been better.

You know, they do offer Opana IR (generic) that could replace your percocet, however it would either help get you back on track, or utterly destroy you. If you could learn to SWALLOW your Opana ER and take it as directed, perhaps you could have your "fun" with snorting a 5mg Opana IR (much better for you than the ER formulation to do this with) 2x a day.
The flip side of the story is that you go crazy with the IRs, driving your tolerance thru the roof, and you're a junkie within the year.

I've rambled alot, but my heart goes out to you. You're at an impasse.
Your Doctor is ALREADY at the point where he can NOT Rx you something to take by mouth that is stronger than what you've been putting up your nose.
PLEASE DO read the thread about snorting Opana ER (just do a search, it's worth your time).

Is this pain something that is going to lessen or go away with time? Like recovering from surgery? I would never recommend Opana (or any strong opiate) for anyone who is going to recover at some point. It definitely sounds like you're addicted already - but that doesn't mean it's too late for you and you should just stop caring. My advice would be to read up on the horrors of opioid dependence and withdrawal symptoms. The longer you take it for and the more/more often you take it (especially by non-oral ROA's) will make it much much harder to ever get off of it. It can be a lot worse than any pain you are experiencing, and at that point they won't even help for your pain anymore. Get your dose down, stop mis-using them, and make a plan to taper down, while you still can. I have seen so many people in your situation get addicted and physically dependent for life. I don't know how to properly explain to anyone the huge risk that they are taking, no one can fully comprehend it until they've been there. But no one wants to stop at the point you're at. Sorry, I'm not sure what else to tell you.

I recommend cutting your Opana 20's in half & snort them as you were snorting the 10's but with cutting them in half, it would be like having 180 10's of Opana...........thats my suggestion.......just stick with snorting 10's & dont jump up to the 20 yet.

The pain is constant.. it will not be going away and it is going to be there until I get my Boston Scientific spinal stimulator. I am going to try to just stop taking the opanas for up to a week and see if it will lower my tolerance enough. I am afraid to get to where my friends are. I am taking all of the advice that y'all are giving me, so please do not think that I am not. I was taking it orally, until a friend told me to snort it, and it cut my pain so much almost in an instant. I was taking it just for the instant pain release, then I was liking how it made me feel, now I can take 4 10mg and feel nothing. I do want to stop, but I don't want my pain to come back. I am trying to stop snorting, and haven't snorted in 2 days, which is great for me, but it is hard. It is starting to affect my throat I think.. its like my throat hurts all the time for 2 weeks so far.. but not like at the back of my tongue, but lower down my throat like in the middle of my neck. Not sure if it is the pills, or if I am getting sick or what.. Anyone ever had throat issues?

Your not going to have a choice in a few months, they are changing the formulation of Opana ER to be like OXY OP's. I was on 60 mg of Opana a day(snorting) but saw how opiates make people into complete assholes so I decided to quit after 2 years. It is possible, you've just got to have the will power. I would suggest taking a large dose of a psychedelic to see how your life is going without your ego interfering. I don't have chronic pain though and understand you need something. I would suggest not telling your doc your addicted, but that you would like to switch opiates. Fentanyl patches would be a good alternative you would be less likely to abuse.

So what happens after they change the formula? Isnt it the way it is for high pain people?

So what happens after they change the formula? Isnt it the way it is for high pain people?

I know someone that snorts the OP's by using one of those things used for corns on your feet. It chops it down fine & he snorts it just fine. He says its not exactly like having the old OC's but it still does the job & gets him high. You will be able to do the same thing with the new formulation of Opana............

Couple of thoughts:

1. Lost boys is 100% correct. I had a connect who couldnt get rid of OP version of oxy 60's so sold them for $15 each. Use the ped egg and you can snort till your hearts content. YES, still waxy and still clogs your nose after a while but 100% possible and works as well as snorting any other OC prep mg for mg. Not the best thing long term though but it does work. I used the same tech with Opana ER and works way better than any other crush method including hose clamp.

2. I snorted Opana 40's for a long ass time and never had any throat pain. May be your tech. With Opana you cant get ANY moisture on them or they will gel up. If your throats hurting logic would say your getting something in your throat to cause it. With Opana the trick is to cut it as fine as possible, run ultra thin lines and sniff VERY slowly ensuring the drug gets to your nasal passages but NOT to the back of your throat. If you get a drip off Opana what your really feeling is coagulated goo trapping the precious oxymorphone from use sliding down your throat. Its not like other drugs. The mucus in your throat is too much for the timerx shit and will effect it causing the drug to be rendered useless (I realize theres mucus in the nose but not to the same extent and my nose is pretty much dry from years of coating it with substances). Again, small lines sniffed slowly to get it only in your nasal passage. Any drip is too much drip.

3. The problem with nasal admin in general is that you have to have the drug contact the actual membranes containing the little vessels that carry the drug to the brain. When I do coke its so fucking compulsive I cant stop. That plus the quantity needed ends up coating my nasal passages with goop that blocks the next line from fully contacting the places in your nasal cavities that need to be contacted to xfer the drug into your system. Try waiting until your as high as your going to get from a line, wash nose out, wait till dry and do it again. Or like me just alternate nostrils and accept that you lose some. If your nasal passages are coated already doing another line is wasteful...particularly with opana since snorting harder and using the back of the throat to absorb is not an option like it is with coke.

4. Most important...listen to the advice given and stop with opana abuse now. I realize more than you are aware its a shitty ass waste to swallow it. But I can tell you from experience it leads to shit you cant come back from unless your willing to cold turkey quit. No other opiate will suffice after Opana. I started snorting 10mg at a time and took a while before I could stand more w/out puking. Flash forward 3 months and I was snorting 2 40mg a day. Flash forward 6 months and I was snorting 4 40mg a day plus topping off with oxy 80s orally 3x a day. That led to stint #2 in methadone clinic. After trying to detox of methadone pain was so intense and schedule of detox was so long I was pretty much guaranteed pain like hell all day everyday for another 8 months so I left clinic and went back to Opana as lesser of two evils. 6 months later was shooting opana as it made sense to get as much as possible out of it and I didnt want to snort timerx anymore. Today, I make 20mg/ml vials of Opana using 5 40's per vial = 12 bottles and can go through all twelve in two weeks if I dont spread them out using heroin. Started shooting heroin last week since even heroin doesnt compare to shooting opana unless you shoot the smack. So, now here I am, twice through methadone clinics, shooting Opana alternately with shooting heroin and am left with zero options save quitting completely as there is no dose on earth of any other opiate save 32mg IV dilaudid that will do a damn thing and the dilaudid wont last long enough so I shoot all 120 in less than a week. The only place for me to go from here is further into the abyss and its ALL because of my infatution with opana. Yes, I could have stuck with weed and been able to avoid all this but thats a different story. It took years of oxycontin abuse to hit the wall that put me on methadone the first time but opana was quite efficient at its job and I was in a clinic within a year of snorting numero uno. My junkie logic says life on opana beats 8 months of hell detoxing from methadone and after a month back on the op I was once again unable to abuse any other opiate in any way form or fashion that could touch opana leading me to heroin....which I had to recently start using IV to touch the opana.

Bottom line, listen to what your being told. I was an officer in a Cavalry Troop. Never touched any drugs until I was in my early 20's. Didnt start serious opiates oxycontin) till I was in late 20's/almost 30. Got started on opiates legitimately through sciatic nerve pain and had no intention of abusing them (oddly, I asked to be taken off oxycontin since it made me too groggy for work and was given opana ER and K4s since, orally, they kill pain superbly with next to near no sedation). After getting comfortable with opiates and off them prescription wise I assumed an innocent R30 on occasion would be fine for me since I went almost a year with zero abuse of my prescribed opiates. Obviously I was mistaken. Now Im 35, shoot opanas cause no amount of nasal oxymorphone will suffice, IV heroin in the interim cause no other opiate including heroin other than IV even stops the detox let alone does the job of an opana for recreational purposes and spend more time planning my opiate routines to ensure maximum efficiency than I do working on all other activities combined. My options at this point are to continue the downward spiral or get clean which seems as real to me as typing this from Mars...not feasible. I was recreational all the way through getting downright stupid with the oxycontin and could/should have stayed clean after the first methadone trip but did another dumbass move and went back to "recreational use" which had I stayed with oxycontin could likely have been addressed in the same fashion as before or another equivalent program. I went off oxycontin due to not wanting to do it anymore. Im stuck on opana and heroin because I cant physically see any other option. Never having snorted the first opana would have kept all the shit I deal with now from being a part (all) of my life. If you can physically stop now or switch to something else now then either do it or be prepared for a shitty existence descending on you like a fuckin 747 landing in your living room...and be prepared for it to happen sooner rather than later.

I know I wouldnt have listened to me and over half the posts Ive put on BL have been warning ppl of opana in one way or the other which is, I realize, mostly futile. But if one person whos still playing with vicoden and percs reads these posts before they get immune to being scared of hard opiates and doesnt end up where I am its worth wasting my time warning everyone.

Good luck. I hope you take this for what it is....a real world example of where opana leads. Its love like no other followed by hell like no other. Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all doesnt apply here. Be in "like" with oxycontin rather than seeking the "love" of opana. While its not easy you can divorce oxycontin when it gets too shitty. Opana is like being married in a country where not satisfying your wife is punishable by death. You will love her at first...thats for sure. But when you get ready to leave her nasty ass youll find not only can you not divorce her...you cnt even ignore her and watch tv to preserve the marriage...you have to do your duty and satisfy your wife cause no option other than that exists. At least not for me and not for anyone Im aware of who went down the road I went down. We're all in the same boat, want off the boat but cant get out of the stateroom let alone to a life raft which would be useless as far out in the ocean as we are anyway. So we support each other and talk about how dumb we were and why we thought rules didnt apply to us. For sure, the crap you hear about marijuana being a gateway drug is crap. Smoke all you want. The shit you hear about opana is 100% the truth though. Its the opposite of a gateway drug. Its the end of the road.

In my opinion you should speak with your Doctor about switching you from the Percocet to a similar dose of Oxycodone IR(Roxicodone). It is the same main active ingredient without the acetomiophen(Tylenol/APAP). APAP is horrible for your liver, especially with prolonged use. which seems to be your case.

Not that I am advocating "abusing" or misusing your meds, but Opana IS pretty poor orally due to it's bioavailabilty, so snorting them is indeed the best option for getting the most from them.

You can also snort the Oxy IR pills I described, however I do not recommend it. It's quite the opposite of Opana in terms of bioavailability. OC is incredibly efficient orally, ~90% with nasal being about half that. While snorting them will give you faster relief, you are also "wasting" half of the drug.

I am on 30mg Oxycodone IR and Opana as well, but since I have to pay cash for my scripts now, my Doctor changed my 20mg Opana ER to 10mg Oxymorphone(generic Opana) IR due to the price difference. Name-brand Opana ER would have cost me ~$1200 while the same amount of OM(1200mg/month) in immediate release generic form is only$480.