• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids DXM and Methadone

closeau

Bluelighter
Hey out there. Quick question I cant seem to find the answer to by searching. New to this and might have missed it. I'm trying to potentiate my methadone and heard DXM is good for that. I also heard hydroxyzine was too. I have some hydroxyzine prescribed to me. Just makes me sleepy with the methadone. Does anyone have any experience with this. If so, what brand names are out there in pharmacies. Just curious. If this, or anything else works, please let me know. And...if this is answered somewhere else on this site, some guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I have really enjoyed using DXM as a potentiator, although tbh it's can become something of a hit or miss thing. The standard suggestion for this is taking 60-90mg taken about 45 minutes before dosing the methadone, probably hedging toward the 60mg suggestion if you feel the dxm on its own. If I do this everyday, however, I think it builds up in my system, or as an NMDA antagonist it lowers my tolerance to itself, to the point I get fucked up from the DXM a little, even at said lowish doses. So, that said, I wouldn't recommend doing this every day.

Regarding the DXM, you're going to want to use any brand that only has DXM listed as an active ingredient. Many dm preparations also come with guaifenesin as well as DXM, and I've never had a problem with these. I'd suggest staying away from any other preparations though. I also find the generic store bands to be easier on the stomach and more palatable than the brand names, which are too thick and too nasty imho.

I've not tried hydroxyzine, but as an aside I find Cimetidine/Tagamet to be a great all around potentiator. Unless you have a serious tolerance, in which case DXM might be more useful, I find I get more out of using an antihistamine like diphen and ppi like cimetidine as potentiators rather than DXM alone or with anything else.

Look to the Opioid Potentiation megathread for more info // Don't mean to be a dick, but, as folks much more sagacious than I had said, "The search function is your friend." :)

Thanks toothpastedog. I searched that thread and it had some good stuff. Never tried the DXM cause it could mess with my Zoloft. I did try Tagament and Ephederine today. Not much. 30mg ephederine and 400mg Tagament. Took the Tagament when my methadone kicked in bout 3:00, an hour and a half after dosing the methadone orally. Wow, might be my imagination but Im feeling pretty good. Thanks for the reply and the thread suggestion. Take care

The alpha and omega of methadone potentiating

Dxm definitely works. It works on every opiate and most digs in general. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Besides the ones mentioned already, I'm apprised to not see cbd listed. It is an extreme potentiator. It is a very strong p450 enzyme inhibitor along with other undiscovered properties that seem to make the high really euphoric.
I take 95 mg methadone a day for mmt. Here are my favorite potentiators:
1) dxm by far
2) cbd
3) cimetidine
4) phenergan (don't take if you are seizure prior or sensations to phenergan)
5) benzos (although I love to take xanax or clonazoLAM I can't advise because if you don't know exactly what you are doing it could be really dangerous). Maybe small dose of clonazePAM would be a bit safer without the massive slowing down of your respiratory system
6) diphenhydramine (warning again, don't use this often, it can really slow down your digestion to a severe stand still leading top horrible conditions such as paralytic illeus)
7) skelaxin now the only reason I list this one last is because it is very powerful at potentiating and also dangerous
8 ) lyrica and gabapentin (lyrica much stronger, amazing potentiator and would have been listed higher but your tolerance to the drug still climb quickly and become a very expensive habit
9) cyclobenzaprine seems to work
10) grapefruit juice works well too, but the amount you need to take for great effect will leave you with a highly acidic stomach which is not good for your methadone
11) the thienobenzo Etizolam
12) good I (be careful with this one and do your own research)

Things to avoid like the plague which still only decrease your methadone effects or put you into straight withdrawal

1) buprenorphine
2) pentazocine (so)
3) butorphanol
4) cocaine
5) phenobarbitol
6) St John's Wort
7) naloxone/naltrexone (revia, control, narcan, etc)

Before taking anything from either list do your own research diligently!!!

mygreenbic

^^why would phenobarbital cause precipitated withdrawl of an opioid medication? I know it's an inducer of cpy2d6.

I was reading this post because I need something to help make me feel a little high from methadone again because I don't feel anything anymore :( but my question is what is DXM? I've never heard of it and everyone is saying how good it is. Also how good does the tagamet work? I was thinking about going to get some if it works

I was reading this post because I need something to help make me feel a little high from methadone again because I don't feel anything anymore :( but my question is what is DXM? I've never heard of it and everyone is saying how good it is. Also how good does the tagamet work? I was thinking about going to get some if it works

DXM is the active ingredient in otc cough medicines. It has dissociative properties at high dose so is used by some to trip. At lower doses it can be good for potentiating drugs such as opioids.