• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New pill that 'helps you to stay fit without exercise'

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
A new drug that could provide new treatment for a range of obesity related disorders without a need to hit the gym has been developed by scientists.

Researchers claim to have created the pill, which they claim provides all the same benefits of exercising without the exertion.

They claim that a hormone naturally found in muscle cells that triggers the calorie-burning benefits of exercise, may have potential as an obesity-fighting drug.

The newly identified hormone, called irisin, increases in the body during exercise, boosting energy expenditure and controlling blood glucose levels.

Medical experts from Harvard Medical School said the new hormone could lead to treatments for obesity, diabetes and even cancer as well as other disorders in which exercise may benefit weaker patients.

But doctors warned that the pill should not be used to replace exercising.

The chemical, named after the Greek messenger goddess Iris, also helps to produce 'healthy' brown fat that burns off weight but largely disappears as we age. It is replaced by "bad" white fat which typically sits around a person's waist.

Prof Bruce Spiegelman, who led the study, believes harnessing irisin will lead to better therapies for any illness that can be combated by exercise.

Prof Spiegelman said: "There has been a feeling in the field that exercise 'talks to' various tissues in the body. But the question has been, how?"

"Whether longer treatments with irisin and/or higher doses would cause more weight loss remains to be determined.

"The worldwide, explosive increase in obesity and diabetes renders attractive the therapeutic potential of irisin in these and related disorders."

He added: "Another potentially important aspect of this work relates to other beneficial effects of exercise, especially in some diseases for which no effective treatments exist.

"The clinical data linking exercise with health benefits in many other diseases suggests that irisin could also have significant effects in these disorders."

The breakthrough is an important first step in understanding the biological mechanisms that translate physical exercise into beneficial changes throughout the body, both in healthy people and in preventing or treating disease.

cont at
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...t-helps-you-to-stay-fit-without-exercise.html

If anyone's interested, the more interesting stuff isn't posted here.
Click the link and read more, it's actually pretty cool.
It only works slowly though, I wonder what excersing whilst on the drug would do.

Anyways, it's not in human testing yet, so it's still possible that we'll enver see it on shelves.
(at least I think it's not in human testing, the article only showed mice results.)

You should still workout, I don't know why they said 'all the benefits of excercise' - obviously it's not going to make you fitter, stronger or feel good like excercise.

Shouldn't take long for human testing:
In part because it is a natural substance and because the mouse and human forms of the protein are identical, Prof Spiegelman said it should be possible to move an irisin-based drug rapidly into clinical testing – perhaps within two years.

Even if it somehow brings some of the physical benefits of exercise, it won't make you sweat, which cleans the toxins out of your body, and it won't build muscle or work your heart. It just helps with fat, which is only one benefit of exercise.
And the psychological benefits of exercise are astounding - none will be replicated by the pill.
To say it has "all the benefits of exercise" is simply a lie.

You know what,

it really annoys me though, i work out every other day, im 13 stone, 6 foot 1 and 20 years old.
Ive been working out progressively doing resistance training consisting of Bicep curls, Bench dips and leg raises.

My dad starts going running for a week or w/e and hes muscles in hes arms are bigger than mine and he dont really do anything its juts not fair... Lol

Then they go and make a drug now that does that ... I do love the endorphin rush you get when you are finished working out. Its a great reward, its like an afterglow hahaha

I know everyone is thinking about replacing exercise, but what about the potential benefit to those with certain muscular dystrophies?

I do love the endorphin rush you get when you are finished working out. Its a great reward, its like an afterglow hahaha

I loved starting my workdays like that as well (although it was kinda rough waking up at 4:30-5:00am every morning). I loved going into work and I felt almost like I'd taken a cross between low dose of mdma/oxycodone for a couple hours - yes it really felt that good. The problem is/was, I always do that for about 6 months, then I get bored (for lack of a better term) and take 6-8 weeks off. Then starting back up again is the hardest part (for me anyways). Especially now that I'm on methadone. A lot of stuff I used to love (certain genres of music, activities, etc.), for some reason, I can't stand now ever since being on MMT.

Especially now that I'm on methadone. A lot of stuff I used to love (certain genres of music, activities, etc.), for some reason, I can't stand now ever since being on MMT.

This is why I always quit methadone. I especially begin disliking sex, and several of my relationships have crashed while on methadone. The cycle's the same every time: get viciously hooked on heroin, blow all my money, get on methadone, hate the person that methadone makes me, quit methadone cold turkey and eventually get viciously hooked on heroin again.

^ Thinking about this makes me wonder. Would it work?
Would the drug be declared a performance-enhancing drug, and made illegal in sports?

^ Thinking about this makes me wonder. Would it work?
Would the drug be declared a performance-enhancing drug, and made illegal in sports?

Well there's many many drugs which could be classified as "Performance enhancing" that aren't, who knows though, I guess we'll just have to wait and find out.

I do love the endorphin rush you get when you are finished working out. Its a great reward, its like an afterglow hahaha

Lucky you.

I have been exercising 3-5 times a week for past 10 years and I fucking hate it more with every day that passes.