• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Daily Mail -Frankly they don’t give a damn. When will the Government commit to....

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Frankly they don’t give a damn. When will the Government commit to a proper drugs prevention policy?

By Kathy Gyngell

Last updated at 12:41 PM on 9th January 2012

With reader comments

Kathy Gyngell is a research fellow at the Centre for Policy Studies

Even more shocking than last week’s statistic, brought to light by the Daily Mail, that over 12,000 children under 16 were arrested for drugs offences last year, was the Government’s casual response.

Drug use is dropping, it came. 'Our goal is to prevent young people from taking drugs by using early intervention programmes and services like FRANK to ensure they have the support and information to make the right choices'.

How very reassuring. Not.

Yet individual schools have demonstrated the efficacy of sniffer dogs and drugs testing. Yet both Sweden and the United States have now, for several years, run remarkably effective police-led, school-driven prevention and intervention programmes, and witnessed far more dramatic drops in teen drug use than here. The government’s senior drug advisors however have insisted that there is no ‘evidence’ to justify trying them here.

Unless the Government does act and stop this namby pamby, ill-conceived approach to respecting teen choice and start to say no, we can expect the number of kids arrested for possessing and dealing drugs to go up again next year.

More...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...rugs-prevention-policy.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Yet both Sweden and the United States have now, for several years, run remarkably effective police-led, school-driven prevention and intervention programmes, and witnessed far more dramatic drops in teen drug use than here.

remarkably effective police-led, school-driven prevention and intervention programmes

D.A.R.E.?

From what I can tell, the only effective "anti-drug" is weed. When people smoke, they tend to cut down on booze and cigarettes (this is the general trend; individual results may not equate).

A more cynical approach would be to put all kids on probation until they graduate. Drug test them regularly and confine them in solitary study rooms when they fail. No release until they demonstrate proficiency in calculus or Shakespeare.

Yea I dont think I would look to the united states drug policy as a model of succes.

The very worst rated comment on the article is....

Whenever I blog about the dangers of illegal drugs, I too receive an extraordinary amount of abuse and heckling. Kathy Gyngell is a serious and careful researcher, and her thoughts on this matter or not 'hysterical' or ill-informed. Quite the reverse. Rather than abusing her, those who disagree with her should engage on a serious level - that is, through facts and logic. It seems that some people put their personal pleasure ahead of the safety and well-being of the young. Shame on them.
- Peter Hitchens, London, England, 9/1/2012 14:22

BTW Peter Hitchens, (assuming it's not someone posing as him) is a staunchly prohibitionist Daily Mail journalist who believes the drug war hasn't even started yet and if it did all our problems (or his problems at least) would be solved.

Currently riding at -75 and falling. Ha ha!

Fuck off Daily Mail, Im already annoyed I had to click on your daft website to fund your revenue, but I guess I had to just add to the comments section, atleast most of the UP comments are now speaking some sense, maybe take something from what your readers are posting you stupid excuse for a newspaper.

Lol drug sniffer dogs in school.... I just got out of high school June 2011 and I did so many drug deals at school. I also popped ecstasy at my school for the homecoming dance. And they claimed to have dogs come around and smell our lockers... Lol I had a bong in my locker for one day (I know fucking crazy but I slept over a friends house on a sunday....). Never got caught. Always was looked at as the good kid.... And when you get into high school its surprising how many kids you find out who use drugs. Well not really.

To cops the above is fictional.

Lol drug sniffer dogs in school.... I just got out of high school June 2011 and I did so many drug deals at school. I also popped ecstasy at my school for the homecoming dance. And they claimed to have dogs come around and smell our lockers... Lol I had a bong in my locker for one day (I know fucking crazy but I slept over a friends house on a sunday....). Never got caught. Always was looked at as the good kid.... And when you get into high school its surprising how many kids you find out who use drugs. Well not really.

To cops the above is fictional.

We had sniffer dogs come in our school now and then, was all over the papers as it was the first in the area as ever happened before, they caught like 3 people with bud but that was it, now they do it every few months and even have a Community Support Officer based inside the school, they are basically like fake police.

We had sniffer dogs come in our school now and then, was all over the papers as it was the first in the area as ever happened before, they caught like 3 people with bud but that was it, now they do it every few months and even have a Community Support Officer based inside the school, they are basically like fake police.

We had a legit cop in our school but he was so old and just slept all the time.... He even gave my friends and I a ride home from school when we had no ride (lol this guy was cool). And we had a sniffer dog once but it was for a kid bringing in a gun and other shit. Lol no one ever got caught and I knew this chick who had an ounce of bud in her locker.... Too bad she put a lock on it /:

"Reporters posing as children calling the FRANK helpline were told that cannabis is safer than alcohol and that ecstasy would not damage their health"

What an outrage!

^ Cannabis is certainly safer than alcohol, but "ecstasy" can easily damage someone's health.
"Ecstasy" refers to a random substance that may be MDMA, but more likely is meth or caffeine or BZP or MDPV or TFMPP or methylone or levamisole or a combination of these....
Even pure MDMA can damage someone's health if they do not do their research first.
Drinking too little water, too much water, or re-dosing too often can all lead the severe health problems or death.

anyone can drive just about any point and sound convincing using a little common sense and thesaurus.com

^ Nope. Sorry. Saying that "ecstasy will not damage your health" is irresponsible and ignorant.

...and I did not use thesaurus.com.
But I did use ecstasydata.org :)

Yeah they really should be educating people about the potential dangers of ecstasy, but i wouldn't be surprised if that was a quote taken out of context.