• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Spray to help alleviate marijuana withdrawal

Bluelight Crew
EMILY BOURKE: Smokers have nicotine replacement options to deal with withdrawal symptoms while they're trying to kick the habit.

For those dependent on marijuana, there's no equivalent.

But a team from the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre at the University of New South Wales will trial a spray to help with easing marijuana withdrawal symptoms.

The centre's director Professor Jan Copeland is speaking here with AM's Timothy McDonald.

JAN COPELAND: There is about 200,000 Australians who use cannabis daily, about 1 per cent of the population who currently meet criteria for cannabis dependence.

TIMOTHY MCDONALD: So how will this drug help people who are going through withdrawal symptoms from marijuana dependence?

JAN COPELAND: Well, this is rather like the nicotine replacement therapy for cannabis smokers. It is a really exciting new development in the management of cannabis withdrawal and it is a pharmaceutical extract of botanical cannabis so it is a natural whole plant organically growth product and it is used as a mouth spray.

So this removes all the smoking related problems association with cannabis and it also has an optimal balance of the two main components of cannabis because of course there is about 500 chemicals and 80 of those are different kinds of cannabinoids.

So has a low dose THC because we don't want people to get stoned, we just want to help them settle down with their levels of cannabis use and also relatively high doses of CBD which is the good cannabis which reduces anxiety and has anti-psychotic effects.

So in that way we can fully activate the body's cannabis receptors and smooth down the peaks of withdrawal to allow people to then engage in the available medical and psychological care.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2012/s3404204.htm

It looks like this is just disguised marketing for a legal Indica extract in spray.

i never knew anyone that couldnt jus quit weed. its not even addicting like that.! if you cant quit smoking a non addicting drug jus find something that motivates you. you dont need a dam spray that we will find out five years down the road has all kinds of side effects. i say no to anything the government puts out :)

I bet the trick is to pop the top off the spray bottle and down the whole thing like a shot.

^ was thinking the same thing.
Honestly, if someone really thought the spray would help them, perhaps the push/placebo would help them stop smoking cannabis.

But it would most likely be used in doctor/unknowledgeable-friend settings, like

"There is HELP! You don't have to suffer with an addiction, you might die, CBD tincture for only $39.95 will help you! If you say no, then you're a drug addict."

Some shit like that.

Maybe a saw...I don't have anything negative to say about this. It may not be addictive in the sense that we're used to discussing here, but I'm sure to some people it's extremely habit forming. I say props for giving the people who want to quit pot but miss that feeling a legal alternative.

This is a step in the right direction. It legitimizes the idea that there are people who gain something positive from smoking weed that nothing else offers and provides an out.

The weak withdrawals aren't what makes a pothead addicted; it's the urge to be high all the time, it's psychological. A spray that releves some withdrawals isn't going to make a difference, therapy would be a better option.

No problem, I'll soon be moving to aus to apply for funding for my heroin enema - helps alleviate the withdrawal symptoms of heroin!

Seriously, the high CBD might help, but I'm sure they could get a high CBD strain and just grow that, course it wouldn't be patentable....