• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Ron Paul says he is not racist, slams drug laws as unfair to blacks

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Texas Rep. Ron Paul said Saturday he is not a racist and pointed to his beliefs about unequal prosecution of drug laws to prove it.

In a debate hosted by ABC News, Yahoo! and WMUR, Paul was asked about some controversial newsletters with racist remarks that he sent out under his name in the 1980s and 1990s. Paul said they are distraction from the real issues at hand, which are his record and beliefs regarding race in the United States.

Paul said that Martin Luther King is one his heroes for practicing "the libertarian principle of peaceful resistance and peaceful civil disobedience," and highlighted his understanding that the drug laws in the United States unfairly penalize African Americans.

"True racism in this country is in the judicial system," Paul said, "the percentage of people who use drugs are about the same with blacks and whites. And yet the blacks are arrested way disproportionately."

cont at
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_...t-racist-slams-drug-laws-as-unfair-to-blacks/

Saw and heard him say this during the debate....

He is trying harder to prove he is not racist.

He sure seems to make a lot of sense. One of my friends who is against him claims that his fundamentalist beliefs point towards his bigotry against gays and other groups, but so far I'm having trouble finding actual evidence of any topic that makes me not like him.

Here's an interesting vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH1FaLdABFM

my opinion is that the things that Paul "did" in the 80s and 90s were not widely considered racism back then, but are seen as racism now because the definition of racism has broadened significantly. As evidence of this broadening, I submit the fact that most attacks against Obama are considered racism, even though Bush was attacked with equal fervor. See, for instance, this New York Times piece alleging racist undertones in attacks against Obama. None of the examples constitutes racism, in my opinion.

The assertions that he is anti-gay are unfair, from what I observed. The newsletters voiced paranoia about catching HIV in restaurants, but everyone was ultra-paranoid about HIV back then.

The puppet masters seem to be threatened by the possibility that he might actually get into office and dismantle the Fed and the IRS. Painting him as a racist anti-Semite is a shallow attempt to dissuade the youth vote, which could easily shift from Obama to Paul if he gets the nomination. He won't get the nomination, and even if he does he won't win the Presidency. I would expect the elections to be rigged to prevent it, honestly. Yey, America!

http://youtu.be/xFVdvXGIT34

Drug laws are applied unfairly to minorities, so Paul is correct about that.

The puppet masters seem to be threatened by the possibility that he might actually get into office and dismantle the Fed and the IRS. Painting him as a racist anti-Semite is a shallow attempt to dissuade the youth vote, which could easily shift from Obama to Paul if he gets the nomination. He won't get the nomination, and even if he does he won't win the Presidency. I would expect the elections to be rigged to prevent it, honestly. Yey, America!

I agree with your assessment.