• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

half of Americans support legalizing marijuana

poledriver

Bluelighter
half of Americans support legalizing marijuana

The slow drumbeat to legalizing marijuana in America continued Friday evening when Salon.com columnist David Sirota appeared on Current TV’s The Young Turks.

Sirota mentioned a recent Gallup poll in which half of Americans support legalizing marijuana, with 77 percent also backing medical marijuana. With those figures, Sirota and host Cenk Uygur slammed White House and Washington figures still viewing marijuana legalization as a radical idea.

“I think if you look at those numbers like that, what you see is the mainstream, centrist position, is to support legalizing marijuana,” he said. “And the extremists are those who continue to fight the drug war.”

WATCH: Video from Current TV, which was broadcast on January 6, 2012.​

here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Record-High 50% of Americans Favor Legalizing Marijuana Use

Record-High 50% of Americans Favor Legalizing Marijuana Use
Liberals and those 18 to 29 most in favor; Americans 65 and older most opposed
by Frank Newport
PRINCETON, NJ -- A record-high 50% of Americans now say the use of marijuana should be made legal, up from 46% last year. Forty-six percent say marijuana use should remain illegal.

When Gallup first asked about legalizing marijuana, in 1969, 12% of Americans favored it, while 84% were opposed. Support remained in the mid-20s in Gallup measures from the late 1970s to the mid-1990s, but has crept up since, passing 30% in 2000 and 40% in 2009 before reaching the 50% level in this year's Oct. 6-9 annual Crime survey.

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, "Marijuana is the most commonly abused illicit drug in the United States." The National Survey on Drug Use and Health in 2009 found that "16.7 million Americans aged 12 or older used marijuana at least once in the month prior to being surveyed, an increase over the rates reported in all years between 2002 and 2008."

The advocacy group National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws claims that marijuana is the third-most-popular recreational drug in America, behind only alcohol and tobacco. Some states have decriminalized marijuana's use, some have made it legal for medicinal use, and some officials, including former U.S. Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders, have called for legalizing its use.

A Gallup survey last year found that 70% favored making it legal for doctors to prescribe marijuana in order to reduce pain and suffering. Americans have consistently been more likely to favor the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes than to favor its legalization generally.

Younger Americans Most in Favor of Legalizing Marijuana

Support for legalizing marijuana is directly and inversely proportional to age, ranging from 62% approval among those 18 to 29 down to 31% among those 65 and older. Liberals are twice as likely as conservatives to favor legalizing marijuana. And Democrats and independents are more likely to be in favor than are Republicans.

More men than women support legalizing the drug. Those in the West and Midwest are more likely to favor it than those in the South.

Bottom Line

Support for legalizing marijuana has been increasing over the past several years, rising to 50% today -- the highest on record. If this current trend on legalizing marijuana continues, pressure may build to bring the nation's laws into compliance with the people's wishes.​

dq8bjss84e2ub3uwvjgeaa.gif

f9nyco05-um-ww_mfbuo9q.gif

here

Im smoking legalization right now....

I mean supporting legalizationg

What we need is a good, long winter.

Damn you global warming.

Just because 50% support legalization doesn't mean 50% will vote to legalize it. Responding to a poll and voting on a measure are two completely different things. Aside from the fact that old, brainwashed people vote in much greater numbers than younger people, I know plenty of people who smoke weed regularly andwould have responded "Yes" to a legalization poll last year, but voted no on California's Prop 19 for various reasons.

^exactly

even if the general public 100% agreed that cannabis should be entirely legal it wouldn't happen. The prisons are already built, if you don't throw in a shit load of cannabis arrests the whole industry will fail. There are of course other interests against legalization as well, tobacco/alcohol lobbyists, the cartels who somehow get a profit from their brickweed and pharm industry/govt/lawyers/judges. The economic impact of legalization is now a concern, if it were legal and grown as a crop would it really make as much money? and that's assuming that the people in control now don't mind all that money going somewhere else (to local cannabis farmers, how terrible).

Any reasonable and sane person who looks at the facts can see cannabis should be legal, that's not the issue really though. How many people are going to purposefully ignore the truth because it benefits them? probably a lot more and coincidentally these people are either already in power or somehow have a hand in govt/law enforcement or whatever.

I think for those in power if it comes down to money, leaving cannabis illegal is just more profitable and the money goes right back to them. with a large prison population even more profit can be made. it's like everyone wins except those who actually use cannabis for recreation or medicine (the very people who will vote to legalize). what a convoluted issue. It's even more convoluted as each year the infrastructure is increased to deal with the increasing amount of users, at the end someone is going to have to give in and be like shit we made all these prisons for nothing.

The cannabis growers/sellers don't want it legal either. The entire industry is much more profitable when there is risk involved.

Also, who the fuck actually smokes brick weed? The mexicans seem to import thousands of tons of the shit per year, but where does it all go? I've never even heard of anybody so much as owning any.

it goes to high school students that cant afford good weed, believe me i was one years ago and bought that shit like it was lunch.

a lot of it came to chicago; that I can vouch for. I was once a broke undergrad. the brick weed was a price that couldn't be beat. it wasn't bad, definitely suitable for joints/spliffs which is how we smoked anyway.
Chicago had plenty of great bud too but you could get large quantities of bricked out weed for cheap.