• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Canadian OP's?

Boogenhagen

Bluelighter
Okay so I have been doing some searching on this topic, but I cannot seem to come up with anything definitive. For those of you who do not know in Canada we have only one type of oxycontin and that is the original OC's, although they say CDN instead of OC. In Canada we have no generics or anything. The only other forms of oxycodone we have is percs. I have heard of some instant release pills going around a few times but have never personally seen them and suspect that they are actually some thing different completely.

So this brings me to my question. I know that soon in Canada are beloved OC's (CDN'S) will be changing to what you guys call OP's. I have heard that they will be called something different here though. But basically what I really want to know is when will this change happen? From the little bit of info I was able to find(sorry I cant for the life of me find were I first read this or I would post it) I was lead to believe that it will be around February of this year :( Can anyone confirm this?

Also what I would like to know is what effect this will have on the local market for painkillers? Obviously it is impossible for anyone to tell me what will happen in my exact area, but different peoples experiences in there respective areas would be greatly appreciated. Also keep in mind that we do not have generics so the new OP's will be the ONLY form of OxyContin.

Sorry for the long winded post, any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I wouldn't be surprised if its right information. I can't say I've heard anything about it but Stephen Harper is more butt hurt about drugs than the church is on sinning. With that being said, its probably going to be hard to find them anywhere other than the pharmacist because it takes a fair amount of patience and you really gotta know what your doing in order to turn these ones abusable (from what I've read). Not too sure where abouts in Canada you live, but I know for me personally there isn't a whole lot of Oxys on the market. Lots of hydromorphone, morphine, methadone, and crappy t3s which don't even do anything.

If you have a script it will likely stay as oxycontin and you will be getting the new formulation (should the change occur). But use the search function. There is more than 1 thread in this forum that will tell you how to prep these pills for snorting/shooting/just plain old removing the time release and eating.

I haven't heard anything, but maybe some knowledgeable Canadians in here could shed some light on if/when this change is supposed to occur. Otherwise, Other Drugs isn't the place to discuss the illicit pharmaceutical market. If you'd like to create a thread about a regional issue such as the pharmaceutical opioid scene in Canada, please check out the regional forums in North & South America Drug Discussion and Social.

Also, some quality reading on the subject of defeating the time release in the 'OP' formulation of oxycodone -

Experiment Thread - New Formulation Oxycodone Extraction Megathread

I thought Canada wasn't going to make the switch to the OP formulation because something that was used in making said formula, was a known carcinogen in Canada? While in the U.S. it was just a "suspected carcinogen." I could be mistaken, though.

Have you checked out the Purdue website to see if they mention any changes being made to the Canadian formulation or anything? I figure that would be a good place to start.

I heard that in Canada OxyContin is going to be phased out and replaced by Targin. Targin in some ways is even worse than OxyContin OP. OxyContin OP is simply oxycodone mixed with a plastic binding material, whereas Targin is oxycodone mixed with naloxone. Naloxone, for those who don't know, is an opioid antagonist and the drug they use to counteract heroin overdoses, with such brand names as Narcan. It is also sometimes used in opiate "dependence control", for example in Suboxone (with buprenorphine), as it blocks opiate receptors, prevents people from getting high, and makes them go into extremely intense immediate withdrawals if they use an opiate such as heroin, morphine, methadone, codeine, etc while taking it or while it is implanted under the skin. So what's naloxone doing in our oxys? Supposedly it "lessens constipation", but I'm sure the primary desired effect is to keep people from getting high off the oxycodone, taking too much, or using any other opiates. It also has the "added benefit" that when injected naloxone apparently blocks the effects of any opiates and cause the user to go into immediate withdrawal. So if I understand this correctly, that means if people try to inject Targin it will not only not get them high but will punish them by making them extremely sick :-( This lovely drug also has the ability of blocking the body's own pain-lessening abilities, so I'm not sure how this could be good for people on OxyContin for pain.

I will do some research and see if I can find out the facts about this possible transition, and if it's going to happen when.

EDIT: I just found a source that says OxyContin in Canada will be replaced with Oxy NEO. I'll do some more research and post some info & links in a few minutes.

Last edited:
So from what I can tell, it's seems like OxyContin is already being gradually phased out and replaced by OxyNeo, and that in addition doctors are being instructed to prescribe less oxycodone in general and to use Targin when they can. Apparently OxyNEO has already come out in Eastern Canada (as of Nov 2011) with Ontario to soon follow. Not sure about Western Canada. I don't know where you - Boogenhagen - live, so I can't say what is going to happen in your region or when. What I do know is that in the US OxyContin OP quickly flooded the black market, with many legit pain management users and junkies alike hating it, and that many heavy users begun using heroin instead.

I'm sure you easily can do some more research online now that you know the drug names. OxyNEO is the same thing as OxyContin OP, which was introduced in the US in 2010. It is oxycodone mixed with a plastic material in order to make it impossible to crush, chew, grind, snort, inject or whatever else you could think of doing with it. I have heard of deaths reported with it's use. If you mix it with water it it forms a thick gel that can't be injected. There have been so many problems with it in the US that I heard a class action lawsuit against Purdue is being filed. People say it does not lessen pain and that it has a lot of side effects.

Here's a couple of news article. I'm sure you can find more.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2011/11/04/nl-oxycontin-plan-1104.html
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2011-11-09/article-2800075/OxyContin-to-be-discontinued/1

The following document says that OxyContin will be replaced by OxyNeo in early 2012:
http://canadianpharmacistsletter.th...=&s=PLC&pt=6&fpt=31&dd=280121&pb=PLC&cat=3941

So from what I can tell, it's seems like OxyContin is already being gradually phased out and replaced by OxyNeo, and that in addition doctors are being instructed to prescribe less oxycodone in general and to use Targin when they can. Apparently OxyNEO has already come out in Eastern Canada (as of Nov 2011) with Ontario to soon follow. Not sure about Western Canada. I don't know where you - Boogenhagen - live, so I can't say what is going to happen in your region or when. What I do know is that in the US OxyContin OP quickly flooded the black market, with many legit pain management users and junkies alike hating it, and that many heavy users begun using heroin instead.

I'm sure you easily can do some more research online now that you know the drug names. OxyNEO is the same thing as OxyContin OP, which was introduced in the US in 2010. It is oxycodone mixed with a plastic material in order to make it impossible to crush, chew, grind, snort, inject or whatever else you could think of doing with it. I have heard of deaths reported with it's use. If you mix it with water it it forms a thick gel that can't be injected. There have been so many problems with it in the US that I heard a class action lawsuit against Purdue is being filed. People say it does not lessen pain and that it has a lot of side effects.

Here's a couple of news article. I'm sure you can find more.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2011/11/04/nl-oxycontin-plan-1104.html
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2011-11-09/article-2800075/OxyContin-to-be-discontinued/1

The following document says that OxyContin will be replaced by OxyNeo in early 2012:
http://canadianpharmacistsletter.th...=&s=PLC&pt=6&fpt=31&dd=280121&pb=PLC&cat=3941

Thank you very much for the help. I am from Winnipeg, and here Oxycontin is by FAR the drug of choice for people who use opiates so this switch will have a MASSIVE impact. I cannot even begin to Imagine what this will do to the prices of the remaining OC's. I would like to post how high the prices have gotten for them already but I am pretty sure that's against the rules. But what I will say is that the price has increased almost 4x since I started using about 6 years ago. I did find more info now that I have the actual names of the products(thank you by the way) but I have still yet to come across a definitive date for my region. This is going to have such an impact that is impossible for anyone who doesn't live in Winnipeg to understand. There is virtually NO heroin in the city so for the people who only snot there drugs this will truly be a very shocking turn of events

I really hope that we get the oxyNEO and not that Targin crap, that would truly be a nightmare:X

They have arrived. Wow.

Care to elaborate Mr.Stars? Do you mean they have arrived in your area? If so what effect has it had on your local scene? and what was the local scene like before there arrival? Im not sure were in Ontario your from but I am guessing that there is prob next to no H worth mentioning there either. (Canada is very funny like that Van. and Montreal seem to be the only places in the country with a constants supply of quality h, but that is a matter for another thread altogether) At least we still got Palladone (hydromorphone-contin) Which im sure there will be a new huge demand for.

and how long did it take to switchover? Was it like literally overnight? Or did pharmacy's first sell off there stock of the CDN's?

Basically im asking what can I expect?

Any and all help is GREATLY APPRECIAT

Care to elaborate Mr.Stars? Do you mean they have arrived in your area? If so what effect has it had on your local scene? and what was the local scene like before there arrival? Im not sure were in Ontario your from but I am guessing that there is prob next to no H worth mentioning there either. (Canada is very funny like that Van. and Montreal seem to be the only places in the country with a constants supply of quality h, but that is a matter for another thread altogether) At least we still got Palladone (hydromorphone-contin) Which im sure there will be a new huge demand for.

and how long did it take to switchover? Was it like literally overnight? Or did pharmacy's first sell off there stock of the CDN's?

Basically im asking what can I expect?

Any and all help is GREATLY APPRECIAT

There is plenty of quality H in Ottawa. In fact, my experience has been there's plenty of quality H in every big city it's just they are very closed communities.

The OPs aren't here yet, I was just commenting in general on the thread. The OPs will be here soon though as one poster mentioned. This is true information.

I dont really have much info but I live in ontario canada in a little town called fort erie (20 minutes away from niagara falls) And I have seen a few of these new oxys going around. I know we cant say prices and what not but im not really saying prices. They were half of what the cdns were being sold for.
Sorry if saying that is against the rules. I really hope we dont get these new ones anytime soon.