• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Urgent..Advice Needed.. IV/Bloodclots?!

gudenhi

Greenlighter
I had a hard time shooting up tonight.. my last bag.. i ended up with a lot of blood in my syringe.. it kept coagulating.. i shot it back in a spoon, added water, drew it back up, and shot it.. it started to clot again before i shot it..

I'm concerned about blood clots in my system now.. afraid one will release and go to my brain, or cause a blockage in my heart or something... my chest is really tight. idk if i'm having a panic attack or if i should be truly concerned.

Any thoughts/advice? Everything about tonight was a dumb move on my part, i'm not thinking straight..

yours truly, way stressed and out of my mind

i know it's after the fact, but are there any precautions i can take to not make anything worse right now??? cigarettes, jack daniels, and hot shower.. bad idea? haha freaking out over nothing? is that even possible to give yourself a bloodclot?

Last edited:
After an operation they put these pads around my legs that would vibrate, but that was to prevent any blood clots, not to treat any possible ones. Got a massage chair or something?

I could be wrong, but I would think that you would be dead by now if you have a blood clot that you just injected.

See what your doctor says.

Yea you are probably cool just try not to be so wreckless in the future

Don't worry! Personally I have done that literally hundreds of times and never had anything happen. Other than the needle getting clogged occasionally. You're probably just letting your imagination affect you and any "symptoms" you're feeling are just caused by your worries.

It would be interesting to know whether or not it is actually possible to have adverse health effects such as a dangerous bloodclot from injecting your own blood that has begun to coagulate. I certainly don't know of anything you can do to lessen the chances after the fact. But I am pretty sure that if something bad was going to happen to you (if it is even possible) it would have happened quite quickly and the "symptoms" would be very sudden, like death or a stroke - I don't think anxiety and tightness in the chest are symptoms. Hopefully by now you've realized you are fine and you didn't have too stressful of a day :)

EDIT: Alcohol and cigarettes both thin the blood, so they definitely wouldn't increase your chances for thrombosis or whatever. People who are at risk for blood clots often take aspirin, which is an anti-coagulent, but I'm not sure whether that would de-clot blood that you have re-injected. Personally I don't think you have anything to worry about. I hope you didn't have a panic attack and go to the hospital or something, they can be really mean to heroin users. Please let us know how you are :)

Last edited:
How long did you wait in between getting blood in the syringe and shooting it back? Ive had that happen but I felt like as long as I got the shot off quick enough, it wouldnt have time to clot.

Not that I want to encourage anyone's fears, as I believe it is extremely unlikely that injecting one's own blood is a high risk factor for thrombosis (blood clots) or stroke, but I found a list of symptoms so that if anyone is worried they can rest assured if they don't have the symptoms.

Symptoms of a lodged blood clot:
- pain, swelling and tenderness in one of your limbs
- a heavy ache and warm skin in the affected area
- redness of the skin in the area (of the clot, not of the injection site)
When a blood clot become lodged in one of your lungs and a pulmonary embolism occurs, you may experience more serious symptoms such as:
- breathlessness, which often comes on suddenly
- chest pain, which becomes worse when you breathe in
- sudden collapse
Symptoms of a stroke:
- sudden weakness or numbness
- confusion and trouble speaking
- sudden vision problems
- sudden severe and unusual headache
- dizziness

Unfortunately all of these symptoms can also be caused by a number of other more harmless things, so I'm not sure how helpful this list is. Blood naturally clots inside the body so the body must have some way of un-clotting it, so I assume that when someone injects coagulated blood that the body is able to un-clot it in the bloodstream. I'd be more concerned about an abscess or infection than I would about a blood clot to the brain. Here is an article on the risk of abscess from injecting one's own blood and some things that can be done if you get a lot of blood in your dope solution:
http://www.heroinhelper.com/user/health/blood_abscesses.shtml

However, as I said, I've done it 100's of times (yes I know it's gross, but the dope-sick heroin addict is a desperate creature) and I've never had any adverse health effects, other than wrecking my veins. Hope this helps :)

How long did you wait in between getting blood in the syringe and shooting it back? Ive had that happen but I felt like as long as I got the shot off quick enough, it wouldnt have time to clot.
You can usually tell whether the blood is coagulating, it will be darker, thick and gooey and move through the syringe more slowly. I wouldn't worry about it if the blood has only been in the syringe for a few minutes. I don't know what the OP's situation was, but when I've been in this situation I'd sometimes had to wait up to several hours before I could inject it because I was having such trouble finding veins.

Last edited: