• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Officials question sale of 190-proof Everclear

LogicSoDeveloped

Bluelighter
Amber Rice drank 190-proof Everclear, the strongest alcoholic beverage sold in stores, the night she died of alcohol poisoning in August 2010.

The product is 95 percent alcohol, yet the state regulates it the same as a product with 6 percent alcohol.

In late October, when The Jackson Sun told state Sen. Lowe Finney, D-Jackson, about the dangers of 190-proof Everclear and Rice's death at age 18, he was startled.

In response, Finney has since drafted a bill asking the state legislature to study regulations pertaining to products with high alcohol content. He plans to present the bill in January at the next legislative session.

"As far as really ultra-high-proof products, the goal in my mind would be to determine if there is a better way to regulate it," Finney said. "At the end of the day, you might very well come back with a report that says you don't need it in the stores. Clearly, it is a very dangerous product."

Sixteen states have made the sale of 190-proof Everclear to the general public illegal, according to Luxco Inc. of St. Louis, Mo., which makes Everclear. Tennessee is among 34 states where it is legally sold.

The Luxco website says this about Everclear: "The 'original' grain alcohol product, Everclear brand enjoys tremendous brand recognition and a loyal, near cult-status, following. 100% neutral spirits distilled from grain."

In comparison to 190-proof Everclear, most commonly consumed whiskey, such as Jack Daniel's, and vodka, such as Smirnoff, are 80 proof, meaning they are 40 percent alcohol. The alcoholic content of wine generally ranges from 11 percent to 14 percent. A 12-ounce Budweiser beer is 5 percent alcohol.

Mike Gautier, south central division manager for Luxco Spirits, said in an e-mailed statement that his company sends its "deepest sympathy" to Rice's family.

"This incident, allegedly involving underage consumption of our product and other alcohol beverage products which led to this terrible tragedy, is tragic," Gautier said. "Regrettably, despite diligent efforts to keep alcohol out of the hands of minors, people of age still purchase and provide alcohol to teens."

continued at: http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20111120/NEWS01/111200340/?odyssey=obinsite

^Everclear is a tasteless mixer and very strong and cheap, lots of people would prefer a mixed drink with 1 shot of everclear to one with 2 shots of cheap whiskey. People under 21 also tend to try and get the strongest booze possible for various reasons. Drinking everclear straight kills cells in your mouth and throat due to it being so strong, it's not very nice stuff.

Yeah, I'm underage (19 currently) and when I was more interested in drinking a few years ago, I would have 190 proof everclear procured at times when I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I mean, liquor would last but everclear would last longer among a larger group of people. My friends and I were responsible and still are, however, I know of others who have pushed everclear way too far. Everclear definitely feels like fire when it hits your stomach.

^Everclear is a tasteless mixer and very strong and cheap, lots of people would prefer a mixed drink with 1 shot of everclear to one with 2 shots of cheap whiskey. People under 21 also tend to try and get the strongest booze possible for various reasons. Drinking everclear straight kills cells in your mouth and throat due to it being so strong, it's not very nice stuff.
man i dunno about it being tasteless. everclear tastes like ASS in my opinion. me and my friends in high school however were able to make a great gin bucket/everclear drink with tons of sodas, fruit juice and fresh fruit. it masked the taste as well as i've ever experienced and it was awful. but let me tell you what, that was a guaranteed blackout :)

man i dunno about it being tasteless. everclear tastes like ASS in my opinion. me and my friends in high school however were able to make a great gin bucket/everclear drink with tons of sodas, fruit juice and fresh fruit. it masked the taste as well as i've ever experienced and it was awful. but let me tell you what, that was a guaranteed blackout :)

Fair enough, it's not tasteless, but the taste is basically just like rubbing alcohol. It's the taste of other cheap alcohol minus the added flavors you'd have in a weaker one like whiskey or tequila. As you say, it's the easiest to mask the flavor of of all cheap boozes, and gets you tore up. Hence why teenagers use it and most people who can buy booze don't. Cause everclear sucks, but it'll knock you on your ass for a few bucks. ;)

Why don't they just make it a bit more expensive (per volume of alcohol) than cheap liquors then? Still has the advantage of more alcohol in a smaller space though, which could be useful if you're not allowed to have it.

only time i had alcohol poisoning was with everclear

i was 16 and stupid enough to drink as much as i did

no need to stop selling it, people just need to be more responsible

its potent shit, treat it as such

We had several connections for it, though that reason is probably true for other underage people, it was our choice cause it was cheap and at the time I smoked weed heavily as did all of my friends so we wanted to make our money go farther on the once in a while that we would want to get drunk. When I can smoke again, I won't really drink just like I did when I could smoke before. I just like marijuana so much more than alcohol for so many different reasons.

It is my favorite solvent for various kitchen chemistry purposes. The only time I actually drank it was when I was a teenager, it makes crazy potent jello shots.

Take it away and people just go to the next state or drink more 151.

I liked the suggestion of making it more expensive per proof gallon than lower-proof alcohol. Poor, inexperienced kids won't be able to afford it.

having drunk drops of isopropyl alcohol in the past mixed into a shot for phenazepam i think youd really have to be self-destructive to want to drink anything with higher alc content than say absinthe makes me wanna puke just thinking what 190 proof would smell/taste like

It clearly states on the bottles to dilute before consumption.

If you are even remotely retarded, you know about Everclear.

The thing that gets me is: You hear countless stories of people blacking out or getting poisoned... Why would you not dilute it. Simply dilute.

ewww everclear shits bad news. Last time i drank it someone decided to put like 20 xan bars in the punch and it becamse a fucking nasty sloppy mess of my parents house. I broke my wrist elbow dropping onto the hood of someones car and some bitch woke up the next morning covered in blood from getting her ass beat in my parents bathroom. I remember nothing other than waking up and yelling ohhh fuckk my wrist is messed up. Then passing back out. Prolly more xanax than the everclear but still that shit is horrible.

^ sounds very dangerous man, I'd be upset with whoever did that, esp. since your house got trashed and shit.

Ahhh i didnt particularly care for the xan bars but no one got arrested or died leaving the house so i guess it was a success. Definitely not date rape though it was like 15 people all good friends nothing sketch like that.

OMG! How could I forget? Trashcan punch...

Punch drunk love parties... Gotta love them.

Way to easy to get pussy at one of those... LOL