• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Gallbladder disease

twentysix

Bluelighter
Has anyone had surgery? How has it effected your digestion? I've heard lots of horror stories about having it removed- some sites on the net citing really high numbers of people who it didn't fix the problem for.... while more official medical sites put the number much much lower for people who have complications (such as diarrhea after eating or it not fixing the problem/pain etc).

I've tried to cleanse a couple of times but am limited do to a citric acid allergy, an intolerance of fructose (applejuice as an ingredient in the cleansing), a malic acid allergy (what's in the applejuice that helps to soften stones prior to cleansing). I did however get one large stone out once... very large actually, and that took away my pain for a day but then I decided to "finish the job" doing another cleanse immediately that night, and made the problem a lot worse. Another cleanse made me feel very ill the next day, and this one I took epsom salts with. The salts made me have unrelenting fluid dumping (not diarrhea.. it was clear.. there was nothing left after the first few times), and then the next day I found some tiny "stones" after going... But since then my pain has been pretty constant- and that's also because of my diet- hemp seed mainly. I'm allergic to or intolerant of most everything else. I developed fructose malabsorption as well after contracting an infection about a year ago, which is the explanation for why it's about all I can eat. Most fibrous vegetables including beans asparagus brussels sprouts cabbages etc contain too much fructose for me to process, without feeling sick/depressed, so I don't eat them anymore. My diet of hemp (mostly) provides me with good energy, enough fiber to go at least once a day.. yada. I'm sure you love hearing about it.

Anyway, that's just some explanation... but I'm really just looking for any ideas/experiences bluelighters have with this sort of thing. Have you had yours out? Are you better now? Did you solve your problem on your own with some alternative treatments?

A friend who works at a health food store emphatically shook her head "no no" when I told her about my cleansing, and use of high amounts of oil regularly to try to force out the stones, and as well said no on surgery saying it doesn't always fix the problem... having me try high lipase supplements and suggesting exercises to massage and possibly break up the softer stones... I've been lazy on the exercises. They made my pain worse when I first tried them, so I guess that association stuck.. but perhaps I'll try again.

Vitamin C seems to help.

I had the surgery 2 years ago and it has not affected my digestion at all. I know that there are alternatives out there (diet changes) but I had the surgery as an emergency surgery and didn't know about those choices until later. The "emergency" was really just pain (made childbirth look like a mild headache by comparison!).

Thanks for your response. It's promising that the first person to answer isn't having issues because of the surgery. Most reporting I've read is the opposite.. but I guess that 1-2% with such complications might be the only ones worried about it enough post surgery, to talk about it.

I would still like to investigate other methods. One I've read about involves injecting some kind of ether directly into the gallbladder, which is supposed to dissolve stones in a matter of hours. Person is very likely to feel ill afterward do to toxins being released, and from the chemical itself.. but I'd opt for that rather than surgery. But I'm not sure if anyone uses it around here. It's not common.

Thanks, again!

Your pain was really worse than childbirth? Wow. (not that i know what that feels like)

I have two other friends that had the surgery and neither has ever had problems. and yes, the pain had me literally on the floor and I am pretty strong.

I've never heard of that process with the ether but if it is legit I would opt for anything that saves an organ--it is there foe a purpose after all!