• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Attention-deficit drugs in short supply

Bluelight Crew
Seven million people who have been prescribed drugs to battle the unmanageable cacophony that attention deficit hyperactivity disorder brings to their minds now face another hurdle: getting those drugs at the pharmacy.

Palm Beach County pharmacist Nirav Pate finds himself fielding nearly a dozen phone calls a day from patients frantically trying to fill prescriptions. The owner of Robalo Pharmacy says his suppliers give him only enough to fill one or two a day. "It’s rationed out. The problem is big. It is huge," Pate said. "This is one of the biggest shortages right now."

And health authorities nationally expect the problem to worsen through the holidays and into the new year.

The shortages were first seen last spring, when one of the most commonly prescribed medicines, Adderall, went generic, said Ruth Hughes, chief executive of the national advocacy group Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. "There were lots of problems: distribution issues; issues of production involving the active pharmaceutical ingredient," she said. "We talked to a number of people at the time who thought it was going to be a short-term problem, but it has continued over the summer and recently it got worse."

Walgreens and Publix pharmacies confirm that they are experiencing some shortages in these drugs. Sometimes the drug is available, but not in the prescribed dose. For example, the shorter-acting drugs seem to be a bigger issue, Hughes said.

Adderall has been listed among those in shortage by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration off and on since 2009, said Erin Fox, who tracks the shortage data as manager of the drug information service at the University of Utah. Then this month, the active ingredient in Ritalin and its generic counterparts, methylphenidate, joined the list.

The reasons for this shortage, like the reasons for the myriad of other drug shortages nationally, are difficult to pinpoint, Fox said. Companies cite increased demand, problems in distribution and tight Drug Enforcement Administration rules on how much of the active ingredient each maker can use in a given year.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/11/25/2518087/ddention-deficit-drugs-in-short.html#ixzz1ejgFGcq6

Difficult to pin point? Are they serious? Grossly over prescribing this drug is what is making it in short supply. When you start throwing legal meth at people because they can't pay attention and it makes them able to then of course everyone is going to get hooked on it

It makes me sick to think that the only way for change to happen in regards to drug shortages is due to people being unable to get this over-prescribed shit. There are scores of cancer patients without access to their chemo, and somehow not being able to get Adderall is the big deal.

When you start throwing legal meth at people because they can't pay attention and it makes them able to then of course everyone is going to get hooked on it

It's not legal meth, its legal amphetamine -- the two compounds are actually quite different due to methamp's affinity for SERT.

^^^
You are right the two are very different. But amphetamines are still very addictive and can still have a lot of the same draw backs as meth. But still very different

I can think of one drug that isn't in short supply...cannabis! :) If the gov was more accepting of what is considered "alternative" medicine, we might have quite a few people using certain strains of cannabis in moderation to combat ADD/ADHD. I myself have ADD pretty bad but I know that stimulants aren't a permanent cure. At least I don't believe they can be used every day for extended periods of time without some sort of negative effects.

I don't know that it's overprescribed for ADD. I know it is underprescribed for depression. That shit is golden for depression. It's like the kingdom of heaven.

ADHD meds just take Meth
Pain Pills Just take Heroin

Bet both markets are making a killing

I'm not saying its overprescribed, I just believe that other treatment should be explored as well. It made all of my ADD friends, me included, into pissed off, robotic zombies. It did help a lot with my depression at first but after a few months, the crashes became worse until I got anxiety to the point of having to drink myself to sleep every night, so I told the doctor I didn't want them anymore.

Should of kept the script and tried something different with it....
mean while selling the ADD stuff or bartering with them

I don't know that it's overprescribed for ADD. I know it is underprescribed for depression. That shit is golden for depression. It's like the kingdom of heaven.

Interesting. Opiate tx of mood disorders should be explored as well. Maybe Cannabis too. Just when I thought amphetamines were becoming obselete, going the way of barbituates, the 2000s saw a spike in their use. I could use some. Barbituates like Secoinal were re released ( but in this case probably for the market created by Oregon's Euthanasia laws. But hell, I've had them and gotten some of the best sleep of my life, (and had fun partying with them.) At the very least, the government should stay outta medicine, especially since the ones that make laws are lawyers not doctors. One government official, Congreman Ron Paul, MD believes all drugs should be legalized, especially cannabis. I think government intervention has not helped market dynamics that this article implies is the basis from this shortage.

Ron Paul has the general attitude of "do what you want and I'll do what I want as long as neither of us harms the other."-which is what I like.

How does it help with depression? The few times I have taken it I just feel like a tweakin zombie. I have heard people say that it gives them euphoria, I have taken a few euphoric drugs and I felt nothing like that when I took this stuff. And I guess I probably have a bias against it because I have had a couple of friends that got perscriptions for adderral to use as a crutch in their lives. They didn't have add or anything they just liked to get high. They started doing that stuff everyday, stopped sleeping for days at a time and just sit in their rooms when they are not at work watching crazy shit on the internet instead of actually being social

I can see how amphetamine, if taken appropriately and at therapeutic rather than recreational doses, could help break a cycle of depression. If a person is having that sort of depression where all they want to do is sit at home and sleep, not socialize, not work on anything constructive, where the things that normally might interest them or make them proud feel meaningless, amphetamine might help them break the cycle. It certainly has the effect of making activities that seem mundane and otherwise not very worthwhile a lot more interesting and exciting. It would just be a band-aid for that sort of depression, but if it broke the cycle, and helped them get back into their habits and hobbies, or find new habits and rewarding hobbies, THOSE things could be a more permanent solution.

I don't think that directly-induced euphoria (from any drug) is any sort of long-term solution for depression. That's more of a recipe to create a new addiction. The solution to MOST cases of depression is a change in habits and lifestyle, whether it be through changing your environment, diet & exercise, new job, ending bad relationship(s), etc. But someone who is depressed is in a state where they feel unable or unwilling to make those changes because it seems like an overwhelming or hopeless goal. Amphetamines would be good for that.

Its so hard to find adderall. I have a script and every pharmacy I went to last time was OUT due to a "manufacturer backorder" (and the manufacturer in this case i think was Barr). I was wondering what the problem was. Why is it so much harder for them to produce? Is it really that over-prescribed? Because I always find Adderall is one of the hardest drugs to find in stock (LEGITIMATELY, lol, in a pharmacy). I usually have to drive around to 2-3 different places before i find its in stock. Not even worth it, I barely use the stuff.

scureto1 said:
I can see how amphetamine, if taken appropriately and at therapeutic rather than recreational doses, could help break a cycle of depression. If a person is having that sort of depression where all they want to do is sit at home and sleep, not socialize, not work on anything constructive, where the things that normally might interest them or make them proud feel meaningless, amphetamine might help them break the cycle. It certainly has the effect of making activities that seem mundane and otherwise not very worthwhile a lot more interesting and exciting. It would just be a band-aid for that sort of depression, but if it broke the cycle, and helped them get back into their habits and hobbies, or find new habits and rewarding hobbies, THOSE things could be a more permanent solution.

I personally think it is the *worst* thing a depressed person can take, pretty much literally. Amphetamine (for me, of course) will only exacerbate such things as depression and esp. anxiety... and this is during the experience, not to mention the crash... I see benzos/opiates more as band-aids... but I guess if uppers improve your mood (they dont for me), then I'm glad something works for you. Just seems very strange, lol, especially long term. Also, I find any dose can be "recreational". There is no dose that is just "theraputic" (like maybe equivalent to 80mg of mdma, not really "rolling face" but open and nice) IMO

Oh, and as far as what is actually causing this shortage, yes of course it is nothing but over-prescription. as mentioned before, getting my script is a CHORE every single time because the first place I go to will NOT ever have it (even if I go to the last place that *did* have it!) its weird though, Adderall is considered so "light". I once had a therapist when I was in my teens, before i had adderall RX'ed. and my dad asked him "my son took adderall, should I be worried"? and the therapist said that Adderall is nothing, its "just something kids do", its less serious than cannabis, according to the medical community.

They're always saying LOCK UP YOUR MEDICAL CABINET! Hydrocodone! Oxycodone! (there is graffiti outside very nearby depicting a Roxy 30mg and it says "These pills are destroying the island"... this graffiti has not been removed). Xanax! Codeine! Be careful! But no one really takes adderall seriously, even though it has destroyed heart valves. IN FACT, just recently, Adderall BLINDED someone I know for a day (sounds crazy, but its true). But I never hear about how "serious of a threat it is"

Last edited:
Oh, and no one made a big deal out of Ritalin causing so many problems, either. In fact, all they did was switch isomers and now many people are still taking Focalin, thinking that its something different. And it may have less side effects or whatever (never tried Focalin myself, but plenty of methylphen in the past), but I really dont see this as any safer. PERSONALLY, i dont think amphetamines/methylphen should be given to children that are 3 years old (or 6, or 12 for that matter). I know several kids who have been taking it since that age, and one of them is fried beyond belief (not to mention that it started him on his path to drug addiction after he realized being able to "swim in the ocean at will" was not just his imagination, it was the effect of some drug... imagine realizing that when you're 5 years old, and the consequences).

That person is currently homeless, drinks dxm on a regular basis, bangs meth, and on and on and on. Oh yeah, and definitely noticeable neurotoxicity, though its hard to say from what. Getting OT, but I just wanted to express some of my thoughts and experiences with this shit

If a person is having that sort of depression where all they want to do is sit at home and sleep, not socialize, not work on anything constructive, where the things that normally might interest them or make them proud feel meaningless, amphetamine might help them break the cycle. It certainly has the effect of making activities that seem mundane and otherwise not very worthwhile a lot more interesting and exciting.

Yes that's it, and my psychiatrist explained it in much the same way. Anhedonia, anergia and isolation are classical symptoms of depression; I had them bad, and the amphetamine takes them away.

I'm probably not getting it after tomorrow. I had my prescription changed to dexedrine because every place was out of adderall, and it still took me 5 pharmacies before finding one with dexedrine. I have to wait to get it filled though because it was written for IR, and all they have left is ER, so they are waiting for approval from the doctor. It's not worth the effort.