View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

UK - Tattoo artist used drugs to feed his imagination

edgarshade

Bluelighter
This is Bristol

Friday, November 25, 2011

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Tatt...-imagination/story-13950676-detail/story.html

A BRISTOL tattoo artist boiled cannabis plants down to make butter, and also put a class A substance in his tea, claiming it "helped with his art".

Police raided Alex Stark's address in Oxford Street, Totterdown, and found six cannabis plants (like the one pictured here) growing in a tent in a bedroom, plus bags of cannabis and tree bark, used to make Class A drug dimethyltryptamine (DMT), in his freezer. They also found a bag of mushrooms, containing Class A drug psilocin, and a jar of DMT in the form of white powder.

After he and his girlfriend were arrested on June 20 Stark, 26, came clean and told police all the drugs belonged to him. At Bristol Magistrates' Court yesterday Stark was ordered to complete 100 hours of unpaid work as part of a 12-month community order and told to pay £85 costs.

Andrea Edwards, prosecuting, said that Stark told police he was an "artistic individual" who worked as a tattoo artist. "He said he had started taking drugs aged 13 and that they helped with his art," she said. "He also said that he took an interest in plants and that he grew the cannabis for his own personal use so that he did not have to mix with 'dodgy individuals'. "Stark said he smoked cannabis every day after work and would make cannabis butter by boiling down the plants. Regarding the tree bark that was found in his freezer, Stark told police he bought it off the internet believing it was a legal high and used it to make tea. "He said he realised the powder was illegal but had been given the mushrooms by a friend and was not aware they contained a Class A drug."

Rebecca Weatherley, defending, said that Stark's set-up was "not sophisticated". "These were plants he grew for his own use so that he didn't have to associate with drug dealers. The drug DMT is quite an unusual substance and he didn't realise it was illegal. "He is self-employed and lives at a stable address. He is of previous good character apart from two drink-related offences from 2003. "He tells me he has found the whole process of court 'scary' and that it has encouraged him to change his life."

I look forward to a day where we can freely choose what we ingest into our own bodies to inspire ourselves without fear of persecution. It sounds like he was using the stuff in a very positive and productive way without harming anyone.

His sentence was pretty lenient considering he was preparing a class A drug...but despite that, he really shouldn't have been sentenced at all. It's just some guy prepping his own drugs for personal, and creative use. Hardly criminal behaviour.

Why would anyone feel the need to report him to the police?

Every tattoo artist I know uses psychedelics or AT LEAST grass to "enhance their art."

85 eur fine he got off light. If that'd happened to someone on this side of the pond it'd be more like 5 years.

Every tattoo artist I know uses psychedelics or AT LEAST grass to "enhance their art."

85 eur fine he got off light. If that'd happened to someone on this side of the pond it'd be more like 5 years.

Pounds dude. We don't use that backwards €uro shit here.

His sentence was pretty lenient considering he was preparing a class A drug...but despite that, he really shouldn't have been sentenced at all. It's just some guy prepping his own drugs for personal, and creative use. Hardly criminal behaviour.

Why would anyone feel the need to report him to the police?

Maybe he got a bit over creative n let his imagination run away and someone ended up with a Tat that was nothing like the one they expected ?

Maybe he got a bit over creative n let his imagination run away and someone ended up with a Tat that was nothing like the one they expected ?

Maybe he smoked a bowl of DMT before lurching over the client, buzzing needle in hand.

I dont get how someone gives you a bag of mushrooms and you dont know what they contain... Sounds rather dangerous and irresponsible on his part. But at least hes not going to prison for that bullshit.

I dont get how someone gives you a bag of mushrooms and you dont know what they contain...

I got the impression that he was playing up his ignorance to the court to lighten his sentence...

This is a prime example of the kind of moderate, responsible use and reasonable use that should be encouraged, not punished.

I think it is garbage that people are essentially forced into lying about actions that at the very least are no one's business. I mean, he couldn't be honest because it wouldn't help his case.