• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Vitamin C sources (non-corn source)

twentysix

Bluelighter
I suffer from multiple food and substance allergies. I'm wondering if anyone knows any non-corn sources for vitamin c?

Right now I know of tapioca, and beet. These I just ordered... but I'm going to try to rotate my vitamin c source so as to not develop an allergy, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other sources, which preferablely come in powder/crystal form.

I've tried Sago Palm sourced and developed an allergy really fast, almost immediately. I'm allergic to coconut, and I.believe there's some relation, somehow.

While I wait for my order I'm going to try some Camu powder.

Well, what all are you allergic to? The first thing that comes to mind for me is tomatoes, but if you have a nightshade allergy then you're SOL there. Citrus fruits are another obvious choice, along with dark green leafy vegetables like kale, spinach, collard greens etc...

Yes allergic to nightshades. Spinach as well. Basically lately my diet is almost all hemp. Has been for about a month. I've just run.out of options, or so its getting easier to get to that point to admit.

Citrus allergy, fructose malabsorption (can't eat any fruit without problems).

Last time tried leafy greens experienced stomach pain.

If only hemp was as accepted as corn. Then instead of extracting from corn they might find a way to do it from it. Just has to be economical. Money is crap.

Anyway... I'm more looking for ultra pure ascorbic acid... if they make it purely synthetically/chemically... not from food sources.

I know I'm annoying. Thanks for trying though!

To answer your question about what I'm allergic to...
If I want to eat other food I usually have to shop at foreign groceries and rotate those foods like once a week so to not develop new allergies.

This started in heavy when I got a lot of fillings, so I'm thinking toxic exposure to Hg might have caused me to be sensitive to a lot more. I'm just hesitant to get them removed. I need to. Falling through hell.

Last edited:
If your allergies are that severe, then yeah, synthetic would be the way to go. Lab grade acsorbic acid/sodium ascorbate is actually pretty cheap, although it can be tough to source.

That blows man, can't eat any fruits and most veg? The thing is, if it was triggered by a shock event it might fade over time. A similar thing happened to my cousin: at one point she could literally only eat meat, potatoes and synthetic garbage foods; everything else made her sick or gave her hives. A year after that, and she's mostly fine. She has to watch a bit of what she eats, but can have a mostly normal diet. They still have no idea what caused it.

Oh, and do they even still do amalgam fillings? If you can afford it, get those suckers replaced.

Yes, here in the states they still reject science that says amalgams are bad for us. Pretty sinister actually how people sometimes treat each other, not to say we're intentionally evil. Nobody (Or not many) could stomach that.

I knew about the risks before getting the work done but was desperate at the time. I just told myself I was being a worrier.

I had allergies prior to the massive fillings.. but I was much more tolerant.
Did not help that I got a staph infection at the same time, having to use antibiotics. I guess it was sort of a shock.

Last edited:
There is also Raw Amla Powder. I have been using Ecological Formulas Vitamin C power from tapioca, but I think I may be developing an intolerance for it. I too have to have powder form, since I am completely intolerant of corn derived fillers. Steric Acid and Magnesium Stearate being the worst offenders in vitamin supplements. I make all my own capsule. I think you may be on to something with rotating the source so that we do not develop issues.

[h=2]Relation Between Latex Allergy and Banana Allergy:[/h] Latex allergy is closely related to banana allergy. In fact, about 50% of people who have latex allergy may also have banana allergy. This is because certain allergy-triggering proteins present in latex are also present in banana. One such protein is chitinase, which is found both in latex and banana.
This phenomenon of being allergic to foods of the same group is known as cross-reactivity. In an allergic cross-reaction, a person responds with similar allergic symptoms when he/she is exposed to the foods belonging to the same food group. Both latex allergy and banana allergy can result in hives, sneezing, coughing, itching, diarrhea and these symptoms may also lead to an anaphylactic reaction, which can be fatal
People who have latex allergy also have a risk of being allergic to fruits such as avocado, chestnut, passionfruit, plum, strawberry, tomato. This is known as latex-fruit syndrome.
To know if you have an allergy to latex or banana, you can consult an allergist who would conduct a skin prick test and/or blood tests for diagnosing allergies. Getting diagnosed is the best way to manage allergies.

you could look into Ester-C.

Why the Foundation Does Not Recommend Ester-C®

FihSh4l.gif

QvUMxC2.gif

Vitamin C: The Real Story, the Remarkable and Controversial Healing Factor. Steve Hickey, 2010

Found a more descriptive version of the reference under the chart via Google:

Hickey S, Roberts HJ, Miller NJ: Pharmacokinetics of oral vitamin C, JNEM, 2008; 31 July, DOI:10.1080/13590840802305423.

liposomal

I don't understand. The images with sources don't even talk about Ester-C. The link at the top talks all about it, but half the quotes are from "anonymous sources". I'm not sure I trust what Linus Pauling has to say on the matter either, since his support for taking outrageously high doses of Vit C has drawn a lot of criticism from other professionals in his field.

The first page actually briefly mentions Ester C, but the reason I posted it is because it talks about an innovative form of vitamin C that seems to be exponentially better than all other forms.

I'm not sure I trust what Linus Pauling has to say on the matter either, since his support for taking outrageously high doses of Vit C has drawn a lot of criticism from other professionals in his field.

...And of course Linus Pauling, the gentlemen with 2 Nobel Prizes, says if you want to prevent and treat Cancer with vitamin C you have to use 10,000 mg a day. All the doctors who used to argue with him 35 years ago are all dead, and today Linus Pauling, still 94, works 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, in his ranch in the Big Sur in California, and teaches at the University of California, San Francisco. So you have to make up your choice whether to listen to the dead doctors or Linus Pauling. Your choice.

Dead Doctor's Don't Lie. Joel Wallach, 1994

jKDAjTa.gif

That's an argument based on a logical fallacy though. How does having a Nobel prize prove him right? Obama has a Nobel peace prize, meanwhile he's killing civilians and American citizens with drone strikes. How does Mr. Pauling's long life prove him right? I often read about WWII veterans having lived into their 90s, and they sure as fuck weren't getting 10g of Vitamin C daily while they were crawling up cliffs under machine-gun fire.

I'm definitely a proponent of the Hippocratic approach to medicine, but everyone who supports Linus Pauling's theory seems to be focused on what the man said/did rather than focusing specifically on experiments verifying the validity of the megadose theory. That raises red flags.

What about herbs? Cilantro, chives, thyme, basil and parsley are high in Vitamin C.

What part of the world do you live in? In the pacific northwest, the new growth on burdock trees and certain other species are rich in vitamin C. Cedar is also high in vitamin C, you can pick the leaves and lightly simmer them for 10 mins in water.